RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

23,000 mile check-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 08:42 PM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 23,000 mile check-up

Hi All,
Thought I'd share my recent experience at my local Lexus dealer as well as some observations on issues with my RX. As a long-time car buff, I've always looked after my cars and hate to take the cars in for things I can easily do myself. I was looking at what was required for the mileage/time on my 2008 RX and decided that a few things I could do myself. I changed the engine filter and the cabin filter and also rotated the tires (all 5). Decided to have the dealer do the brake fluid flush, a routine oil change and other miscellaneous items while it was in. Here's the outcome:
• I had noticed some white ash on my dash over the last 6 months and read many of the postings about the evaporator issues. I mentioned this to the service manager and she said it only seemed to be on US vehicles (I bought mine in California and imported it into Canada although it was built in Canada). No problem though about having the evaporator replaced under warranty. I was concerned about damage being done to the trim/dash by the mechanic since so much of the vehicle needs to be disassembled to get to the evaporator. Sure enough, a big gap opened up on the left A pillar, a scratch on the speaker cover, and black fingermarks on the headliner, dash, windshield, etc. I had to take the car back in to get these thing fixed and they were.
• I was also having some issues with the rain sensor wipers (they go on at the most inconvenient times and don't work when they should be wiping). Turns out that they’re working correctly although not necessarily from a consumer perspective. I had the sensor tape replaced a couple of times previously but it made no difference.
• The driver’s side mirror stopped dipping on reverse. Turned out that one of the actuator motors was fried, but it was replaced under warranty.
• The driver’s seat belt stopped retracting completely and would jam in the door frame if I didn’t pay attention. Seems that it needed to be lubricated.
• The rear hatch stopped opening completely when I lifted the hatch. It would stop half way. This is without engaging the power assist. It used to open fully if I gave it a reasonable lift. As well, the power assist is starting to groan more so than before. The mechanic couldn’t find anything wrong although I suspect that the struts are just not up to lifting the door any longer.
• I did have the VVIT oil hose replaced under the recall campaign while the vehicle was in.
• Interestingly, the dealer no longer offers just an oil change. You must get the full engine maintenance which included additives, lubes, etc. Of course, this more than doubles the cost of the oil change and seems to be a money maker for the dealer.
At the end of it, the cost of the lube and brake flush came to over $250. The only saving grace was that the dealer offered a tank top-up and mine was almost empty, so I figure that the overall cost wasn’t that bad. As well I had the use of a loaner Lexus while my car was in for the 3 days it took to complete the work.
I’m really concerned about all these niggling things going wrong with my Lexus. Quality certainly doesn’t seem to be something that Lexus is striving for in its service or its vehicles.
Old 02-08-11, 09:09 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

No, I personally do not think that Toyota/Lexus has the quality levels it once had. Perhaps with a Toyoda back in charge things will improve over time. They did set the level quite high for themselves in the past.

Regarding the rest, is why many of us are DIY or take our Lexus vehicles to the local Toyota dealerships instead. Not so much to save cash as to not have to deal with the BS of things such as your commentary on not being able to get just a standard oil and filter change.

Glad to see you did a 5 wheel rotation.