RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Brake Fluid Cup Recall and the Local Dealer

Old 02-03-11, 03:01 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Cup Recall and the Local Dealer

Okay, having JUST purchased my 2004 RX 330 I've had NO dealings with the dealer, but when I login the VIN on the Lexus.com site it shows that she needs to go in for the brake recall.

I call the dealer and talk to the service department. I inquire about how long it will take and if there is a wash involved (cause I don't want it going through a machine - I know how those are) and fuel. The guy is SUPER evasive and even asks me how I know that she needs the recall. I tell him about the Lexus.com site and he tells me I need to print out those pages and bring them with me to get the work done. He doesn't directly answer the questions about the gas or car wash and either he's trying to suggest that they need to be listed in the recall info or he just wanted to talk about me printing those pages as a way to change the topic of conversation. Based on everything I've read on the forum this makes NO sense for several reasons:

1) they can access the same info themselves from the internet with the VIN number
2) those pages as printed out show NO relationship to each other. One shows that I have the VIN as part of my account and that there is a tab on that listing for A recall but nothing about which recall. The next page talks about the brake fluid cup recall in very general terms and is accessible on the website from a variety of other navigations (like the tab for 'recent recalls', etc.).

I made the appt for next Tuesday but the more I think about it the more I wonder if I should call the Lexus dealership that is an hour or so away (the closest one is about 40 min away) and see if they are any more intelligent...

Ironically, the dealership I called is the same dealership that took in 'my' RX 330 as a trade a couple months ago. Obviously they didn't bother to check or care that the recall was due prior to selling it out to a local used car dealer.

Would appreciate input. I guess I could even look at taking a day to get her up to Roanoke (about 3 hours away) or Knoxville (about the same) if it meant I didn't have to deal with a bunch of BS. My tolerance for BS seems to decrease as my age increases.
Old 02-03-11, 04:49 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think checking with another dealer is the way to go. The dealership you purchased it from should have fixed this recall before selling you the vehicle. Regarding washing of the vehicle, all Lexus dealers that I have seen use a brushless system with treated water. You should be ok. The full tank of gas just depends on the dealer, some do, some don't. I wouldn't press them about it, if you are a new customer (first visit) most will "filler up" to make you happy (repeat customer).
Old 02-03-11, 04:52 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had my vehicle sent in for the recall my car as washed but no gas. Also I remember in a previous post about your 6'9" boyfriend, I suggest have him call the dealer and see the reaction from the advisor. Unfortunately I bet the reaction would be different. My wife and I have experienced this before at our former Lexus dealership.

Last edited by diverchris; 02-03-11 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 05:36 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

VA, do yourself a favor and call another Lexus dealer. That playing dumb because you're female attitude is disgusting. I've seen more than my fair share through the years. Heck, it's the reason I drive 45 minutes to my dealer even though there are several closer. BTW I have the best service advisor. She is awesome

Good luck
Old 02-03-11, 06:31 PM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made an appointment and took my car to a major city for a brake fluid cup recall and they treat me like a gold member. I came meet the advisor and signed the paperwork. They did the brake replacement free, including a free car wash and filled up gas tank, and a 2011 RX loaner. No problem at all! My advice is to bring it to a big dealer in a major city so they will do the work and make you happy.
Old 02-04-11, 06:47 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

What`d you think of the 2011?
Old 02-04-11, 06:54 AM
VAttorney
Rookie

Oh and I forgot to mention - I asked about a loaner cause they said it would take a couple hours and they said I would have to wait or they could "give me a ride to somewhere closeby".

Clearly NOT the standard I've come to recognize from reading this forum.
Old 02-04-11, 08:09 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Nothing comes for free ..

Warranty service, recalls etc are essentially paid for by the manufacturer (Lexus). Goodwill/courtesy can be shared or exclusively borne by the dealership or the manufacturer. Depending upon the issue and time Lexus may even pick your car from home/work.

There are specific guidelines by manufacturer for loaner cars etc. You can call Lexus corp and ask what they are ... [I think the loaner is offered if the in-shop time is going to be more than 4 hrs ... please check].

When it comes to what the dealer is going to do for you, it all depends upon availability of loaners and your/their relationship (history). Each dealership has to look at their bottom line too.

Salim
Old 02-04-11, 10:07 AM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexus114
What`d you think of the 2011?
It is one sweet ride. i'm not going to buy it any time soon unless Lexus is going to come out with another RX better in interior designs than my 06 RX.Everything about the '11 RX is great except for the interior.
Old 02-04-11, 11:10 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Lexus pays the dealership for filling your car up, car wash, and a loaner for this recall. You might have to find out what the loaner policy is with that particular dealership, but I don't think it's too much to ask for a loaner during a recall.
Old 02-04-11, 01:25 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Well apparently - I was told by the Lexus person I spoke to (when I called the contact number on Lexus.com) that dealerships are independently owned and that they can pretty much dictate their own policies. However, she was very disturbed that the dealership had a different policy on loaner cars between those Lexus owners who had purchased from them and those who had not. She said that was a violation of their agreement with Lexus - that Lexus mandated that whatever their policy was that it was consistent to Lexus owners - not simply those that fulfilled some criteria of the dealer (new models, purchased at the dealership, etc.).

As I don't have another dealership within 3 hours drive.. I guess I will be making a weekend trip into getting this taken care of.

The person at Lexus was super nice and said she was sending my story up to an advisor and that they would have the dealership call to make amends. I said no thanks, at this point I wouldn't let them touch my car. I'd clearly gotten the signal that they considered me some sort of second class citizen because I didn't buy the car 'from them' and as such, I would spend my time looking for a dealership that I would be dealing with in the future, as I assured them that I was in love with the car and would be buying a new or CPO within the next few years but NOT from Lexus of Kingsport.
Old 02-04-11, 01:30 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Nothing comes for free ..

Warranty service, recalls etc are essentially paid for by the manufacturer (Lexus). Goodwill/courtesy can be shared or exclusively borne by the dealership or the manufacturer. Depending upon the issue and time Lexus may even pick your car from home/work.

There are specific guidelines by manufacturer for loaner cars etc. You can call Lexus corp and ask what they are ... [I think the loaner is offered if the in-shop time is going to be more than 4 hrs ... please check].

When it comes to what the dealer is going to do for you, it all depends upon availability of loaners and your/their relationship (history). Each dealership has to look at their bottom line too.

Salim
Of course this is true as far as it goes. However, since Lexus needs to keep ALL Lexus owners happy (not just those that happen to need a Lexus dealer while they are close to the dealership they happened to buy their car from) the care offered by the Lexus dealership is supposed to be consistent to all Lexus owners that come to them, not just the Lexus owners that the dealership considers 'special' because those buyers spent $X or happened to buy the vehicle there.

Truth of the matter, that is the MOST short sighted policy I can imagine anyway... I mean, do you really need to be a marketing genius to realize that their best potential market (perhaps after those who bought from them in the past) as those that are driving a Lexus that they bought elsewhere? If you bought your car at your local dealership and then had problems while driving through Tennessee and got unbelievably fabulous treatment at this dealership... wouldn't you even consider dealing with them the next time you were ready to buy/trade? Particularly if your own dealership didn't quite measure up?

By being crappy to current Lexus buyers who didn't buy from them... all they are guaranteeing is that, presuming we fall in love with our cars, we will continue to buy Lexus but NEVER from them. As a result, they will need to get even tighter with their policies because their market share will never increase.
Old 02-04-11, 02:04 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

I think the loaner program has some tax advantage to the dealership and that is one way of enticing customers to upgrade.

I think you are turned off by this dealership. The service adviser(s) are pretty low on the totem pole of a dealership. There is a potential of misscommunication/misunderstanding, and I would suggest talking to the service manager instead of the aggravation you would have to deal with by going 40miles away. I worked with couple of advisers, and finally selected one. You will find some excel in person to person communications and some have a better technical understanding. If you find one that has both ... you will be in good hands. Service advisers try to follow the policy the service manager/dealership.

Others can comment on when a complementary loaner should be provided.

By the way, which ever place you go to, make sure they have the needed parts on hand.

Salim
Old 02-04-11, 02:34 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
I think the loaner program has some tax advantage to the dealership and that is one way of enticing customers to upgrade.

I think you are turned off by this dealership. The service adviser(s) are pretty low on the totem pole of a dealership. There is a potential of misscommunication/misunderstanding, and I would suggest talking to the service manager instead of the aggravation you would have to deal with by going 40miles away. I worked with couple of advisers, and finally selected one. You will find some excel in person to person communications and some have a better technical understanding. If you find one that has both ... you will be in good hands. Service advisers try to follow the policy the service manager/dealership.

Others can comment on when a complementary loaner should be provided.

By the way, which ever place you go to, make sure they have the needed parts on hand.

Salim
Salim,

My nearest dealer is 40 miles away... the next closest is 200.

Second, this is the same service adviser I spoke to when I was considering buying the car and he's also the service manager... that's why I went to the manager of the CPO department when I called back because that was who was getting hurt by this attitude. When I spoke to this service manager prior to the purchase, he was all sunshine and roses, I think his obstreperousness came from my inquiry about the wash and top off - I suspect he knew Lexus expected them to do it and the dealership didn't want to do it so he was caught in the middle and trying to distract me from it.. I could be wrong.

Doesn't matter.. I am MORE than turned off by this dealership and would probably drive 500 miles to avoid them if I needed to.
Old 02-04-11, 04:11 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You could also just go ahead and make an appointment with this close by Lexus dealership. Have this warranty (recall) work done them. Wait for the car and forget about car washes, free gas or loaners. From that point on, have all your routine service work done at the local Toyota dealership and save about 50%. That is what I do, the Lexus dealership is for warranty work only.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Cup Recall and the Local Dealer