RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 350 transmission: change fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 07:55 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I was referring to the RX330, do not know if the 350 manual gives you a drain and fill amount. Does it?
Old 01-14-11, 03:58 AM
ripster
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there is an amount stated for the change of the transmission, just thought that was a strange reply from the service counter.
Old 10-13-12, 10:44 AM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

reviving an old thread. Where is the drain plug located on the 2009? I cant seem to find it, the bottom is pretty much covered with a plastic cover... which part do i need to remove?
Old 10-15-12, 02:45 AM
ajgregory
Driver School Candidate

If I recall correctly I removed the whole plastic cover on my 2007 RX - there was no separate access panel to get to the ATF drain plug. The 2009 is probably the same. Be careful with the plastic expansion fasteners. They are easy to break.
Old 11-29-12, 07:45 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told that the 350's have a sealed transmission container and that it's not recommended for 100k miles.

Was considering doing mine around 50,000 miles because it's a little dark now.
Old 11-29-12, 12:47 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
I was told that the 350's have a sealed transmission container and that it's not recommended for 100k miles.

Was considering doing mine around 50,000 miles because it's a little dark now.
you can change the fluid in a 350...make sure put the correct fluid in (Toyota WS)
Old 11-29-12, 06:23 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
you can change the fluid in a 350...make sure put the correct fluid in (Toyota WS)
Thanks Kickin8,

I was calling around to different dealers to get prices and just like others have posters have mentioned, a dealer wouldn't touch it if it's under 100,000 miles.

I recently had my battery changed and they did their 17 point inspection and one of the categories was check all fluids. 3 days later the dash is telling me that I'm out of wind shield wipper fluid???

So I decided to check all the fluids myself and notice the tranny fluid was a bit dark, not pinky but burgundy. Wasn't black. I checked the manual, it didn't say 100k miles but it did say like you mentioned Toyota's World Standard fluid. I've contacted 2 other shops and they want to run a machine and do a flush. From what people are saying here a drain and fill maybe best. I'm not having any shifting or slipping problems so I figured I got some time.

It's kinda cold in the North East to attempt to do it myself and besides I've never done it before. I'm not punking out, I'm just saying that I haven't done it before.
Old 11-29-12, 06:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
It's kinda cold in the North East to attempt to do it myself and besides I've never done it before. I'm not punking out, I'm just saying that I haven't done it before.
DIY is not for everyone. You need not only the tools and skills, but you also need a place to perform this work. Many times these things do not come together. Nothing wrong with that.

Would stay away from the flush. Drain and fill should suffice. Gets some new fluid in there and gives one the opportunity to look at the condition of the existing fluid. If you have someone do it for you, make sure you arrange to have a personal look at the fluid they are taking out as well as the fluid they are putting back in. Unless you know what the color of Toyota WS is new you cannot be sure the stuff coming out is a problem.

If you haven't already, check with your local Toyota shop to see if they will do a drain and fill of the transmission for you.
The following users liked this post:
leroyjnav (03-07-20)
Old 11-30-12, 04:01 AM
tomit
Rookie

I would have the transmission BG flushed by a Lexus or Toyota dealer. I had it done on my RX and on a Avalon (twice) with no drawbacks. A BG flush does some cleaning and replaces all the old fluid.

Tom
Old 11-30-12, 07:46 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote from Lexus Technical Service Information Bulletin TC008-07:

WORLD STANDARD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID – TC008-07 June 28, 2007

􀀀 100,000 Maintenance Interval — Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any
flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle.
􀀀 The use of Genuine Toyota ATF-WS is recommended.
􀀀 The use of additives or aftermarket fluids that are considered compatible
or substitutes may result in shift concerns and damage to the internal
transmission components.
􀀀 ATF-WS is NOT compatible with T-IV or Dexron ATF.
􀀀 Containers storing Toyota ATF-WS should always be sealed — If exposed to the
atmosphere, ATF-WS may absorb moisture and potentially cause shift concerns if
used in operation.
􀀀 One time use only.
􀀀 When performing repairs on ATF-WS equipped transaxles, it is important to use
only new, clean ATF–WS when refilling the ATM.
􀀀 ATF-WS equipped ATMs may use the overflow type procedure — Any fluid
drained from the overflow plug should be discarded following proper local
regulations and never reused. Failure to do so could result in shift concerns and
damage to the internal transmission components.
The following users liked this post:
leroyjnav (03-07-20)
Old 12-01-12, 09:59 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ripster
I was going to change it, called the dealership and heard this--drain it and then put exactly the same amount back in, or it will not work and they will have to work on it. Never heard of anything like that. I should be able to drain, fill to spec on the dipstick and you should be good to go. Anyone ever hear of this before?
I agree with that advice. The manual states the right amount of fluid IF all the fluid is drained. Problem is....it is impossible to get all the fluid out by simply pulling the drain plug. So you do not necessarily want to refil what the manual sez...because you might be overfilling it. Overfilling is a no-no because the fluid froths up.
Old 11-05-16, 12:12 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

some pics of the setup to change atf fluid. I use an empty 1 gallon windshield washer fluid bottle to hold the old nasty atf fluid, so I know exactly how much to replace. I put the 1 gallon bottle inside a 5 gallon pail so that it does not tip over.

pump from harbor freight, with smaller stiff tube added to fit inside of ATF dipstick hole
funnel with tube at end
Old 11-08-16, 03:38 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

My wife's RX350 has gone through the drain and refill procedure annually for the last 4 years, since 70K miles and now it is 105K miles. So far the transmission is still plenty smooth with no issue (knock on wood).

I buy 4 quarts of WS from the dealer ($9 a quart). Give them to my mechanic and he only charge me $60 labor. He said usually he is usally to drain around 3.5 quarts......
Cost me $100 per year only.
Old 11-13-16, 07:14 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I've heard from toyota and lexus dealers that there's a special machine and procedure to service the fluid.
Old 11-13-16, 10:29 PM
TrapBug1
Driver School Candidate

I just took my car to a toyota dealer and had them do it, I also replaced brake fluid, diff fluid. They refused to change PS fluid saying they don't change it but I took a bit of fluid out and it looked clean so I am OK with that for now.

Quick Reply: RX 350 transmission: change fluid?