RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX 330 - 220k miles - and I'm in love?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 01:56 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I still say go for it, but I probably way more trust in my Toyota's than anyone ever would. They are built solid, engineers at Toyota/Lexus don't build car's hoping they will last for 50-100k, maybe elsewhere they do *cough* cough* Ford, Dodge, Chevy, any domestic auto maker* cough*... Toyota/Lexus make there cars to last for hundreds of thousands of miles more than any one could even imagine, if you look at my signature I've put many miles on my toyota's all of which were extremely reliable. The 89' Toyota Van is still running today, my uncle drives it as a winter beater, and he currently has over 410k on it, which is truly amazing.
Old 01-10-11, 04:04 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, while wiser minds have suggested I walk away.. I went to see the car today with BF - partly to see if he would even fit. Part of me hoped he wouldn't as that would resolve the question at least for now. He not only fit, he loves the car too and was impressed with the leg and head room.. as he had a couple inches to spare (quite rare). Oh.

Alright, so got VIN number and found out prior owner owned a trucking company so did most of his service himself. I will get his contact info tomorrow (it was offered to me today but I was trying to convince myself that I'd only gone down there to decide if I should pursue one in a few months so I declined the info) probably and try calling him.

Talked to the Lexus Dealership locally. I spoke with two different guys.. one in sales and the other in service. The one in service said they could get an inspection for $80 (sounds money well spent if I am going to continue with this - despite cooler heads surrounding me) and the other said the thing to be most concerned about was the timing belt and how recently it had been changed. He suggested that if I couldn't find out or it wasn't within 60K miles to get it done immediately upon buying the vehicle ($1200-1500). Apparently with our mountainous terrain, they recommend changing the timing belt more often than other geology. He also suggested that prior to bringing it to them (might save me $80 and headaches) that I take the cap off where you add oil and just run my finger inside there. He said if it was sludgy that the oil hadn't been changed often enough in the car's life and I should just walk away. Otherwise, he said that most of the obstacles that caused the early demise of most Lexus (in general, the RX 330 wasn't old enough to be certain of the general lifespan for all that it was engineered to go 350K) had already been passed by this vehicle to still be going well at 220K.

Also considering a CarFax ($35) in the midst of all this. I spoke with my uncle and he left Toyota in 2003 so he said he'd recommend I have the dealership inspect it as he's not familiar with this model at all but in general he said he didn't feel the mileage alone was reason enough to discount the vehicle.

Guess that is considered an update... I expect that I will pursue purchasing it if passes these checks.
Old 01-10-11, 04:11 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like your style lady.
Old 01-10-11, 05:51 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use autocheck over carfax. Sometimes Carfax doesn't report accidents. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 01-10-11, 06:25 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

If you need to change timing belt, and typically it is changed with w/pump, tensioner, coolant and spark plugs, find local mechanic through Craig’s List and do it for fraction of whatever Lexus quoted. It should be about $600-$700 (parts included).

I would still walk away from vehicle with that many miles, unless I already own it, and would wait for better deal, but you do what you need to do.
Old 01-10-11, 06:48 PM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I mentioned earlier in my writing, craiglist has numerous '04 RX with 100K miles less in the price range of 11-13K with price negotiable. Matter of fact, a friend of mine just purchased the 2004 RX via craiglist ~10K in top notched condition. You just have to shop smart- that's all. I personally believe 225K RX is a little too much to last.
Old 01-10-11, 06:53 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Nick, I've searched craigslist within 300 miles of me and can't find anything less than 18,500 - which at present is out of my pricerange. Additionally, this RX is actually priced about 3-4K less than anything remotely comparable and even below it's appraised trade in value (the sales person at Lexus suggested I buy it and then he could give me about 5-7K more than I paid as a trade in). I dunno. But I am not on the East or West Coast and I suspect that Lexus in general is a vehicle that does better in the 'big cities'. There just aren't many that I found on craigslist in that radius that were even owner listed.
Old 01-10-11, 06:54 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Carver... good, nice to know that there are people out there that don't put a huge value on logic!
Old 01-11-11, 06:34 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

you guy`s are forgetting one thing,it more than likely is highway miles with that amount on the clock. So that right their offers some real hope. if your not familiar with auto`s,have a private mechanic,or your boy friend check it out real good. Have them look at the timing belt,check condition of the trans shifting/fluid,engine oil,suspension etc. And simply try to get it at the best possible price. You would maybe end up very happy. Especially if it was serviced regularly.
Old 01-11-11, 03:19 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Thanks Lexus114. I spoke with my uncle today and he recommended a Toyota/Lexus Master Tech that has his own shop now and is located alot closer to the car lot where the vehicle is. The dealer said he'd take the car there tomorrow for inspection. Another thing I discovered, the vehicle was a trade-in at a Lexus dealership... so while it might mean that the owner was getting ready for a big repair and decided to save his/her money toward a new Lexus - it also means that they were happy enough with this vehicle to want another Lexus (generally a positive). I did check with this recommended (by my uncle) mechanic and he said he'd be able to do the entire timing belt/water pump replacement/repair/maintenance for about $400-500. He suggested that I'd might want to include engine seals and/or a tension rod (I think) for the timing belt and that would add $200-300 more. All in all - quite the bargain relative to the $1200-1500 the Lexus dealer quoted. But not anything less than I expected given everything I'd read here over the last few days.

They are asking 11,500 and the sales rep I'm working with already said he could let it go for 10,700 so I was thinking of coming it at 9 something... some of that would depend on what mechanic said tomorrow. I expect him to advise some repairs just given what I know of the history. Like I said, I suspect the owner was looking at a repair bill that they decided to put toward a new car. At least, that is what I would expect most people to do. We'll see. Still have hope of getting the prior owner's name - apparently privacy act creates some issues with that but I think I can overcome them.
Old 01-11-11, 03:26 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Post some pics if you can, I want to see this machine that has inspired such madness in an otherwise sane sounding young attorney.
Old 01-11-11, 03:55 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

High 9's, low 10's sounds like a good price.
I agree we need pictures,lol.
Old 01-11-11, 05:07 PM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High 9's and very low 10's with tax included could do. I'd tell the master tech to write a receipt of some much needed repairs and cost so the dealer has to give you a discount. I'd also point out to him @ that mileage I will be prone to some more major repairs such as transmission, engine, suspension,spark plugs, and fluids in the near distant future and it can cost thousands. Gl
Old 01-11-11, 05:54 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Oh, today's mechanic sang the praises of synthetic oil and then added that he probably wouldn't want to change the kind of oil currently in this vehicle (if I were to get it)... of course, if I cannot reach the prior owner he then added that we probably wouldn't be able to tell what kind of oil was in it without sending it off for analysis.

I wonder what everyone's two cents on that might be?
Old 01-11-11, 06:29 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VAttorney
Oh, today's mechanic sang the praises of synthetic oil and then added that he probably wouldn't want to change the kind of oil currently in this vehicle (if I were to get it)... of course, if I cannot reach the prior owner he then added that we probably wouldn't be able to tell what kind of oil was in it without sending it off for analysis.

I wonder what everyone's two cents on that might be?
You can safely switch to synthetic, there's absolutely no scientific proof to say that it may start leaks that weren't there before.

It wouldn't be a bad thing to send it off for a UOA anyways, it'll help get an idea of the condition of the engine...if you do end up buying it that is.

Quick Reply: 2004 RX 330 - 220k miles - and I'm in love?