RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Coastaletech LOCKPICK 1B v.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 06:57 AM
MMS4MSU
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coastaletech LOCKPICK 1B v.2

For everyone who owns a Gen 4 navigation and hate the I agree nag screen, the Coastaletech LOCKPICK 1B v.2 is for you. The old version would not do this past disc version 5.1 but I can personally confirm it works for versions 9.1 and 10.1. It also unlocks the destination input while in motion for those who have not done this mod already.
The basic runs $99 and one can add A/V input plus phone access in motion for $229 but I would highly recommend the basic lockpick and add the phone switch yourself from this mod https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...th-bypass.html.
The reps are unbelievably inexperienced and unhelpful. I have called twice, once recently prior to purchasing and once about two years ago. Both times the rep did not know there were different generation versions and argued that after updating to 7.1 or newer would remove the I agree screen from MY GEN 4 VEHICLE. During the most recent call, around the middle of December 2010, the rep informed me 10.1 had not been released from Toy/Lex yet and he did not know what the term "nag screen" meant, kind of scoffing at me while I was explaining the term.

I do not work Coastaletech and thought someone may hate the nag screen as much as I did.
Old 09-15-12, 05:59 AM
TallerMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Some questions if you don't mind. What is the process for unlocking the navigation for use while in motion, is it automatic or is it still clicking some "bullseye"? And can that activation process be done while moving or do you have to remember to do it when the car is stopped?
Old 02-27-13, 05:47 PM
TallerMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

So I purchased the Coastaltech Lockpick for my 2001 Lexus LS430 for which I have upgraded the NAV unit using a module from a 2005 Toyota Prius. For the most part it works, but it does have some problems.

1). The process which is supposed to disable the "I agree" button doesn't work. I've emailed the Coastaltech support people multiple times and given up on them. They are fairly unresponsive and don't seem too inclined to fix or address the problem. Since it's not hugely important, I let it go. My worry, however, is that this unit is defective and who knows what else might be wrong with it?

2). The process which reconnects the speedometer to the GPS unit so that it can follow you as you drive doesn't work every time. Basically hitting the Destination button twice puts you into the override mode which, I assume, electronically disconnects the speedometer from the GPS so that it thinks you're parked. This lets you enter destinations and make route changes as if you're not moving. When you're done, or you go back to the map, it's supposed to reconnect this automatically. About half the time this works and half the time it doesn't, causing the map not to move. The resolution is to hit the Map button and this seems to reset it. Hitting Destination twice will do it as well. Again, my concern is that this might indicate that there is a problem with the unit, but since it's only a slight annoyance when compared to not being able to override, I'm willing to let it go.

3). Sometimes, while entering an address while driving the screen will go gray for a second or two. Not a huge deal.

Beyond those issues, I love it and would suggest it. Although I hope for your sake that it works out of the box because I get the impression that getting a return / replacement isn't going to be easy.