RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 rx 350 winter tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 07:15 AM
dalalp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 rx 350 winter tire suggestions

We purchased a Lexus CPO earlier this year so its my first winter with the RX.My husband is posted at Fort drum and we have some bitter winters up here.I am just wondering what's a good winter tire to put on the RX for good Snow/Ice Handling. Is it worth using a Studdable Winter tire? I think right now the RX has OEM tires and they are just not cutting it for us in the winter.

Also if I buy the tire's from tire rack or some online store do I still need to take it to the dealer for the TPMS reset ?

Thanks
P
Old 12-08-10, 03:27 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

First, welcome and congrats on your purchase. I saw that no one had chimed in on your post so thought I should get you started especially with the weather you have had up there the last few days. Had lived in PA for a number of years, so I have an understanding of driving in bad weather.

First, the obvious. With the lake effect snows you get there the first rule is not to be on the roads if possible in the bad stuff. The RX you have may be AWD, however, it is not meant for deep snow conditions. Yes, it will more than handle its own in the light stuff. Just remember this vehicle is not an H2, has no locking hubs nor center differential, and has limited ground clearance. Some postings here will indicate that the RX does quite well is deep snow and that may very well be true. However, that would be at the very edge of the limits for the vehicle, IMHO. I had an old Subaru 4WD wagon I thought did better in the snow than my RX.

Nothing wrong about finding a large parking lot after a snow to check out how your vehicle will handle those conditions and to get used to all those lights and sounds that will pop up as the electronics kick in to assist you. Perhaps why I liked the old Subaru better in the snow... seat of your pants driving.

Tire Rack is a good place to go for tire information and purchasing. At least you can see what is available and shop locally as needed. A good set of Blizzaks would not be a bad place to start.

Do they still even allow studded snow tires to be used on base these days or even the local roads up there?

It does get expensive switching back-and-forth from regular tires to snow tires twice a year. Depending on how long you will be at Ft. Drum and what your next duty station might be you might consider purchasing a new set of wheels. This can be quite expensive, so consider carefully. Besides, it also means you need a place to store the winter wheels and tires when not in use. If I were to do so I would consider going with the 17" wheel. This will give you a bit more clearance in the wheel well area. This is also a good idea if you decide to buy a set of chains.

As for the TPMS reset, if you stick with the OEM wheels which came on your vehicle and just have the tires swapped each time you need not do anything. However, if you obtain an additional set of wheels to mount your snow tires on to then you will need to obtain an additional set of transponders/sensors. Check with your dealer, or even Tire Rack, about those. Each time you swap tires you would need to have the TPMS reset at that point.

Hope this helps.

Go Army. Beat Navy.
Old 12-08-10, 04:40 AM
DTrapani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Discount tire direct. They have a nice tire calculator.

Dominic Trapani
Old 12-08-10, 09:59 AM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

We live in calgary, alberta and got a huge dump about 2 weeks ago. I had my wifes rx while my truck was in the shop and luckily we swapped over the tires 3 days before. She's got Hankook Ipikes in a 17" and paid $700 installed for the tires alone. Her car handled amazing for that whole week, there was no problems in the deep stuff and even a couple days later when it became hard packed and kinda icy. These are studdable but where we are the roads are only snow covered for a couple days after the storm and driving with studded tires on bare roads is kinda slippery from what I heard. Unless your roads are covered in ice all the time i'd stay away from studs because a good winter tire will be amazing with the AWD.
Old 12-08-10, 01:35 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blizzaks +1
Old 12-08-10, 01:50 PM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 'Bridgestone Blizzak' on my RX350 AWD. Paid $1200 for a set of 4 R18 tires, and I'm happy - handling on snow is perfect.