RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Remote can open but can't close windows??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 12:30 PM
flystone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote can open but can't close windows??

My dad drove the RX350 to get some groceries last night and was shocked to see all the windows and moon roof was open after he came out of the store...

My guess is something was pressed against the unlock key on the remote when he was exiting the car and walk toward the supermarket entrance and triggered the all window open from remote...

Fortunately, nothing was stolen but he was shocked...I think I will have the dealer program the RX and disable this feature...

However, I was also shocked that we can only open all the windows but not close them w/ the remote...seems like a bad design...if you can open windows from the remote...you would think you can close all the windows too right??
Old 11-29-10, 12:35 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is set up to help cool the car off on a hot day and never had that problem of the windows going down without trying to make them work that way. You have to press the unlock button two times and then hold it down after the second press for a few seconds to get the windows to go down.
Old 11-29-10, 01:33 PM
k9shelly1
Driver

I've read about this happening on other threads. The way the key fob is set up it would be hard to "accidentally" do it. I think it has to be some sort of interference with the vehicle's system.

I hope this doesn't happen to me as my wife tends to leave everything in the car.
Old 11-29-10, 01:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

say thanks to the US spec vehicles. for some reason that's the case here in the US. in some other regions, you can press and hold lock to close windows.
Old 11-29-10, 02:28 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I've had the tail gate mysteriously open on me since Lexus took away the 'unlock all doors to open the tailgate' function. Quick way to close everything, take the key out of the remote and turn to the left. All of the windows and the sunroof will close. The doors will also lock. Conversely, turning to the right will roll down the windows and open the sunroof like the remote will. I use the key when I need to clean under the JDM visors. Easy open, easy close.
Old 11-29-10, 03:47 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

did not know that about the key
Old 11-29-10, 07:13 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

The key did the same thing on the 2nd gens too. It was very helpful when I'd get the ding, ding, ding to tell me I had an open window or sunroof. Instead of jumping in to put the key in the ignition, I'd put it in the door, turn to the left and hold. All closed and locked too.

Speaking of noise, save your ears by turning off the car before opening the door. Otherwise it'll start to ding similar to when the key is left in the ignition. I guess it's there to alert you to turn off the car since there is no key anymore with push button start.
Old 11-29-10, 11:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

with the key fob, if you open the door before shutting off the car, it will keep on having the ding ding sound. very easy to get rid of it. feel on the door jdm and there is a rubber stopper. press on it, done.

i have to do this all the time when installing stuff on client cars
Old 12-04-10, 07:17 AM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flystone
However, I was also shocked that we can only open all the windows but not close them w/ the remote...seems like a bad design...if you can open windows from the remote...you would think you can close all the windows too right??
Undoubtedly a liability concern on the part of Lexus. If you were able to close the windows remotely, you could inadvertently catch someone's arm or head, or a pet in the closing window. Someone would be certain to sue Lexus for that. When you have to be standing at the car with the key in the door, you can see if it's safe to close them.
Old 12-04-10, 08:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by larrs
Undoubtedly a liability concern on the part of Lexus. If you were able to close the windows remotely, you could inadvertently catch someone's arm or head, or a pet in the closing window. Someone would be certain to sue Lexus for that. When you have to be standing at the car with the key in the door, you can see if it's safe to close them.
I don't think that's the reason but it may be.
The windows and most likely the sunroof have automatic reversing power windows if they sense an obstruction while closing.
My neighbor's ES350 had all the windows and sunroof opened by accident in the rain and was not pleased.
It's probably an option that 99.9% of people do not use.
I'm going to ask my dealer SA if they can program that out of my system.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-04-10 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-04-10, 10:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

can't change it on us spec. but as i mentioned in some other regions the feature is there to roll windows up
Old 12-04-10, 12:06 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

just a side note, my old RX300 was able to roll up the windows with the remote. Back then, the with the three buttons on the old Lexus key, 1 was for lock, 1 was for unlock, and 1 was for panic. The panic was its own button which allowed the lock button to be held for rolling up the windows.

Now, often times, the panic button is rolled into the lock button to make room for the trunk button.

Even with a separate panic button now, I dont know why they dont add it back
Old 12-07-10, 05:50 PM
socal10rx
Driver School Candidate

I can even get this to work on purpose. Tried it several times and nothing. I am in NA.
Old 12-07-10, 05:58 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by socal10rx
I can even get this to work on purpose. Tried it several times and nothing. I am in NA.
Might need to be programmed by the dealer.
Old 12-07-10, 09:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by socal10rx
get what to work? roll down windows, or up? if down, then press and hold unlock and try harder. roll up, don't even bother

Quick Reply: Remote can open but can't close windows??