RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Remote can open but can't close windows??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 10:12 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried to hold the interior doorlock to see if that closes all of the windows? I know that the key inserted into the exterior lock will close everything, but I haven't tried the interior lock yet. My wife drives our new RX everyday and I forget to try this when the car is home. Maybe a string around a finger will remind me to try it.
Old 12-13-10, 11:49 AM
socal10rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
get what to work? roll down windows, or up? if down, then press and hold unlock and try harder. roll up, don't even bother
Yes, roll down the windows. It doesn't work for me. Did it all work for you guys by default?
Old 12-13-10, 11:56 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socal10rx
Yes, roll down the windows. It doesn't work for me. Did it all work for you guys by default?
Right after I read the op I went and tried it on my new rx, and yes, it worked. You have to hit the unlock twice and hold it down a few seconds on the second press. If yours doesn't work, I'm sure that your dealer will take care of it for you.
Old 12-19-10, 08:16 PM
Cough
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupid unneccesary $%^$#%$ing feature!!

I was doing some work on the baseboard in my house yesterday. Lying on the floor I felt the remote in my pocket so I got up and put it on the shelf.

Well six hours later I went out for a drive.All windows and moon roof were wide open. 5 degrees F and it had been snowing all day. Car was very cold and full of snow.

I guess I triggered the click-wait-click and hold.
Old 08-06-14, 05:58 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Having just had the experience of finding all my windows and moonroof open mysteriously, I'm not sure which is more annoying: this dubious "feature," or the fact that in reading my
900 page plus Lexus manual I could find no mention of this whatsoever.
Old 08-06-14, 06:27 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a dealer settable option as discussed in this thread.
Old 08-07-14, 05:31 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom
Having just had the experience of finding all my windows and moonroof open mysteriously, I'm not sure which is more annoying: this dubious "feature," or the fact that in reading my
900 page plus Lexus manual I could find no mention of this whatsoever.
It's hidden on page 76. Grab a magnifying lens, you'll need it !
Old 08-07-14, 08:21 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Cough
Stupid unneccesary $%^$#%$ing feature!!

I was doing some work on the baseboard in my house yesterday. Lying on the floor I felt the remote in my pocket so I got up and put it on the shelf.

Well six hours later I went out for a drive.All windows and moon roof were wide open. 5 degrees F and it had been snowing all day. Car was very cold and full of snow.

I guess I triggered the click-wait-click and hold.

Actually I find it to be one of my favorite features. On a hot summer day it's nice to be able to put the windows down as you approach the car. I can also do it from my office a few minutes before I leave. People get a kick out of it to when they see the windows go down as you approach the car. Its really no different then being able to open the rear hatch with the remote. You are just as likely to accidently to open it has the windows.
Old 08-10-14, 01:28 PM
LexiGal
Driver School Candidate

Default Remote closing windows would be more useful - here's why:

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I don't think that's the reason but it may be.
The windows and most likely the sunroof have automatic reversing power windows if they sense an obstruction while closing.
My neighbor's ES350 had all the windows and sunroof opened by accident in the rain and was not pleased.
It's probably an option that 99.9% of people do not use.
I'm going to ask my dealer SA if they can program that out of my system.

I have the same feature where if I hold down the unlock button for a long time it will roll down the front windows, then the back, then open the sun roof. It's just another "bells and whistles" feature that does help to crack the windows on hot days, butttt......how many times has anyone here been in the house with your windows cracked and suddenly a thunderstorm appears and it starts pouring and you realize you left your windows cracked open? It happens way too often! Unfortunately I do not have a garage so my vehicle sits in my driveway so I have to run outside in the pouring rain, get in the car, put the key in and roll up the windows and close the sun roof as fast as I can. I don't know about anyone else but I would certainly prefer the "windows up" via remote more than the other way around. And the window does stop going up if someone's arm or head is in the way, so ???? I want the remote "windows up" feature but not sure how to get that??
Old 08-10-14, 01:39 PM
LexiGal
Driver School Candidate

Default Any idea how to make them remotely close?

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
Actually I find it to be one of my favorite features. On a hot summer day it's nice to be able to put the windows down as you approach the car. I can also do it from my office a few minutes before I leave. People get a kick out of it to when they see the windows go down as you approach the car. Its really no different then being able to open the rear hatch with the remote. You are just as likely to accidently to open it has the windows.

I agree - it's handy to be able to open the windows before getting into a hot car, but it would be much more handy to remotely close them, especially when it suddenly starts to rain and it catches you off-guard. I don't have a garage so I have to run out in the pouring rain, get in, put the key in and put all the windows up and close the sun roof. I wish I could just remotely close it all up from the dry comfort of my kitchen window with the remote pointed at my car. Seriously....THAT is a more useful feature. I can't imagine other people haven't had to run out to their vehicles in the rain because they realized they left their windows down or sunroof open because it was hot and sunny earlier. I tested the "arm in the window" while going up on my vehicle and it stopped it.
Old 08-10-14, 01:46 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

LexiGal, you don't have to get into the RX to close the windows. Remove the key from the fob, put it in the driver side door and turn left. It'll close the windows and moonroof in addition to locking. BTW, turn the key to the right to unlock and open the windows and moonroof. It's something I mentioned in my post above (#5) and takes a lot less time. As others mentioned, having the windows close via the remote is potentially a liability issue. Anti-pinch windows/moonroof were available on previous gen RXs, now called 'jam protection.' Still, it's not enough for this litigious society.
Old 08-10-14, 04:38 PM
LexiGal
Driver School Candidate

Default Remotely closing the windows

Originally Posted by kitlz
LexiGal, you don't have to get into the RX to close the windows. Remove the key from the fob, put it in the driver side door and turn left. It'll close the windows and moonroof in addition to locking. BTW, turn the key to the right to unlock and open the windows and moonroof. It's something I mentioned in my post above (#5) and takes a lot less time. As others mentioned, having the windows close via the remote is potentially a liability issue. Anti-pinch windows/moonroof were available on previous gen RXs, now called 'jam protection.' Still, it's not enough for this litigious society.

kitiz: I have anti-pinch windows so not having the remote ability to put the windows back up is a waste of a very useful feature to me because I would mainly use the remote down feature to crack the windows on hot days if my car will be sitting in the driveway a while. The remote windows up should be a setting you can put on your key fob IF YOU WANT IT - I have no small children or pets to get caught in the window while it's going up and I would only use it when I am in the house and it's pouring out and I left my windows down. I saw your post but didn't really understand what you meant - how do I get the key out of the fob? It looks to me like that requires the use of a screwdriver and if there's a sudden, unexpected downpour that I didn't see coming, it would take longer to remove the key from the fob than to just run out to the car and get in it. Even so, I still have to go out in the pouring rain to close the windows. It sucks. I doubt I'll use that remote windows down feature very much because I tend to forget I left them down so it's not worth the risk.
Old 08-11-14, 09:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Lexigal, again it's a case of the the minority ruining it for the majority. I'm in the same boat as you so I can relate. Re the key in the fob, push the little silver button on top. It slides to release the key. No screwdriver necessary. And that's all you need to bring out with you. Keep the rest of the fob inside. Just make sure you put the key back. Insert into the fob until it clicks.
Old 08-18-14, 02:36 PM
LexiGal
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Remote can open but can't close windows??

Originally Posted by kitlz
Lexigal, again it's a case of the the minority ruining it for the majority. I'm in the same boat as you so I can relate. Re the key in the fob, push the little silver button on top. It slides to release the key. No screwdriver necessary. And that's all you need to bring out with you. Keep the rest of the fob inside. Just make sure you put the key back. Insert into the fob until it clicks.
Thanks, kitlz. Very true and it sucks. It started pouring the other day while I was working and I was so pre-occupied, I didn't even realize rain was coming. I forgot to close my sunroof, so I had to run out in the rain and go close it! And I don't have the kind of key fob you're talking about. The top of my key is the fob. There's no silver release button. Just a phillips head screw at the base above the metal key. Here's a couple photos.

I'm better off not leaving my windows open anymore but I really have to remember to close the darn sun roof. I always did the same thing with my 4Runner - I forget that thing is up there!
Attached Thumbnails Remote can open but can't close windows??-keyfob1.jpg   Remote can open but can't close windows??-keyfob2.jpg  
Old 08-18-14, 03:33 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Lexigal, that's a remote for the 2nd gen RX. I thought you had a 3rd gen RX. I'm going to move your thread over to the 2RX forum. You can still use the key to close the windows and moonroof by inserting it in the driver door and turning left.

Not that it matter but here is a picture of the 3RX remote.
Attached Thumbnails Remote can open but can't close windows??-img_0365.jpg  

Quick Reply: Remote can open but can't close windows??