RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Remote can open but can't close windows??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 03:54 PM
LexiGal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Remote can open but can't close windows??

Originally Posted by kitlz
Lexigal, that's a remote for the 2nd gen RX. I thought you had a 3rd gen RX. I'm going to move your thread over to the 2RX forum. You can still use the key to close the windows and moonroof by inserting it in the driver door and turning left.

Not that it matter but here is a picture of the 3RX remote.
Ohh, well this is my 1st Lexus so it's 1st generation to me! LOL I drove Toyota before so still the same "family" but different class AND generation! I didn't know there were all these different "generations" of RX350's. My sister has a 2010 RX350 and her key looks more like the one you showed in the photo. She just pushes a button on her dash and it starts her car! Thanks for the help and info and for moving my thread over to the correct forum. Looks like I have a lot to learn here!
Old 08-19-14, 06:24 AM
gundy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexigal, that's a remote for the 2nd gen RX. I thought you had a 3rd gen RX. I'm going to move your thread over to the 2RX forum. You can still use the key to close the windows and moonroof by inserting it in the driver door and turning left.

Not that it matter but here is a picture of the 3RX remote.
kitlz--this is the 2nd gen RX forum. I have the same remote as Lexigal (2RX) and knew what she was talking about (2005 RX330). Also can relate to the non-availability of remotely putting the windows up and closing the roof. But the remote would need another button since the lock button is tied to the panic feature which would activate if held down. Maybe add a feature to the lock button that would work to put windows up by pressing 3-4 times(?).

Additionally, I have an aftermarket remote start (put in by a previous owner) that includes all the remote functions (lock, unlock, remote trunk) but doesn't put the windows down if the unlock button is held. However, when using the lock/unlock feature on the remote start, the car horn sounds instead of the "beep" that occurs with the OEM remote. So, if this can be programmed differently, maybe there is a way to program a windows up feature on a different/aftermarket remote(?).
Old 08-19-14, 07:04 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I read from another forum member a method to use with existing gear and adding in a PAC TR7 module to wind the windows down after pressing the lock button 2 times within a set time frame.
Old 08-19-14, 09:43 AM
LexiGal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gundy
kitlz--this is the 2nd gen RX forum. I have the same remote as Lexigal (2RX) and knew what she was talking about (2005 RX330). Also can relate to the non-availability of remotely putting the windows up and closing the roof. But the remote would need another button since the lock button is tied to the panic feature which would activate if held down. Maybe add a feature to the lock button that would work to put windows up by pressing 3-4 times(?).

Additionally, I have an aftermarket remote start (put in by a previous owner) that includes all the remote functions (lock, unlock, remote trunk) but doesn't put the windows down if the unlock button is held. However, when using the lock/unlock feature on the remote start, the car horn sounds instead of the "beep" that occurs with the OEM remote. So, if this can be programmed differently, maybe there is a way to program a windows up feature on a different/aftermarket remote(?).
I have the windows down feature on my remote if I hold down the door unlock button - starts with the front windows, then the back and then it opens the sunroof depending on how long you hold it so it's handy if you just want to crack the windows from indoors on a hot day, especially if you're at work and don't have time to run out to the vehicle. It's NOT handy if you do that while at work and all of the sudden you discover there's a downpour and you left your windows cracked because then you do have to go outside when it's pouring and put them back up. Quickly! I know I'm not the only person who has forgotten to roll up their windows when suddenly there's a cataclysmic downpour going on. LOL Gundy, you mentioned needing an additional button on the remote to put the windows up but I wouldn't think so. If the unlock button puts the windows down when held, why not then let go and hold it down again to put the windows back up without the need of the lock/panic button. If you hold the button on the sunroof it opens it but if you stop and push it again, it closes it. Same idea. I just wish it was a feature I had on my vehicle to remotely close my windows. I checked with the dealer and they said it's not available on my car. It should be a programmable option if the owner wants it on there. I would want it but oh well. To quote the Rolling Stones: "You can't always get what you want"

Anyway, thanks kitlz & gundy for the replies!
Old 08-19-14, 09:57 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Maybe you should consider adding WeatherTech window deflectors. I had them on the 330 and could keep the windows opened a crack during the summer. I didn't have to worry about rain getting in. The deflectors covered that part of the window. And while closing the windows with the key is not ideal, it is quick.
Old 08-19-14, 10:01 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Lexigal, again it's a case of the the minority ruining it for the majority.
Are there actual stats tracking this stuff? I've never had a need to close everything with the fob but use the opening feature all the time during summer down here. Once the vehicle cools down a bit it's easy enough IMO to close the windows and sunroof with auto up/close.

Originally Posted by LexiGal
I didn't know there were all these different "generations" of RX350's.
Most vehicles have a number of generations if they're produced long enough to go through redesigns.

Last edited by takeshi74; 08-19-14 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-19-14, 10:57 AM
LexiGal
Driver School Candidate

Maybe you should consider adding WeatherTech window deflectors. I had them on the 330 and could keep the windows opened a crack during the summer. I didn't have to worry about rain getting in. The deflectors covered that part of the window. And while closing the windows with the key is not ideal, it is quick.

With the key in the door feature, I'm still going out in a sudden downpour or thunderstorm to close my windows. We get them a lot where I live. I actually knew a guy who got struck and killed by lightening years ago when he went to put his key in the door lock of his Camaro. It was a freak accident, sure, but I never forgot it so I never do that during a thunderstorm. This remote window thing is new to me. I drove the same Toyota 4Runner for nearly 20 years and it didn't have remote window functions so I went out in the rain many times to close up my vehicle. I left the sunroof on that 4Runner open more times than I can remember and my interior got soaked faster than I could get to it and close it all up. The remote window open feature is cool, I suppose but my personal opinion is that it is lacking because it should also have the ability to remotely close the windows in cases like a sudden downpour but since it doesn't, I'll rarely ever use it. As I said before, I just won't leave them open or cracked or anything. It's not worth risking getting my leather interior soaking wet and ruined because I forgot to close them. I've already forgotten I left my sunroof tilted open a few times since I got the RX350 and got in and found a spider made a web inside. I hate them as much as thunderstorms.
Old 08-19-14, 11:01 AM
LexiGal
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=takeshi74;8677095]Are there actual stats tracking this stuff? I've never had a need to close everything with the fob but use the opening feature all the time during summer down here. Once the vehicle cools down a bit it's easy enough IMO to close the windows and sunroof with auto up/close.

Have you ever left your windows open to cool down the vehicle and then get busy doing stuff you forget you left them open, then discover it's been raining after you hear the thunder and you have to run out in the downpour and close all your windows/sunroof? Unless you live where it never rains.
Old 08-19-14, 11:10 PM
JJsRX350
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I like the fact that the windows roll down. It helps keep my car cool.
Old 09-15-14, 11:45 AM
gundy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If someone is so mechanically inclined, here are the instructions to install an "auto-up" feature for your windows using your fob (provided by jakenbake and referenced by draco earlier).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ow-up-mod.html
Old 09-15-14, 11:51 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for referring the thread Gundy. :-) I hope people like it. I use the feature all the time when the weather is nice.