RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Foggy/smearing windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 09:00 AM
jwalke02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foggy/smearing windshield wipers

Hi guys -

Really appreciate the great responses and help found within these forums. Once again i feel i'm asking a dumb question but my Lex is my first car since leaving NYC...been ten years...so I have very little experience in the easy stuff.

My 2009 RX 350 is a CPO model and during the rain my wipers leave a ghostly (foggy) smear. I have had the car washed and even cleaned the blades themselves with windex...so i do not think oil/dirt/residue is the issue. The wipers seem to work fine, and the windshield is clear and clean during rain when the blades are not swiping...it is only during the 3 second swipe that this foggy smear appears.

It was mentioned that the dealership may apply "rainX" or other which could be the problem? Can anyone comment on this? I actually just had the car serviced... do they use something during the "complementary" car wash?

I also know that the blades may be worn, old, etc. that doesn't seem to be the case but could the blades just be poor quality and need to be upgraded on my own?

So my thoughts are the dealer uses some cleaner that leaves residue or my blades are poor quality and someone will tell me to spend the money and upgrade and the issue should go away???? If new blades are the answer, is there a recommended brand...good value for the money?

thanks again,
Joe
Old 11-05-10, 10:58 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New blades will most assuredly help. Many options out there but you can't go wrong w/ a set of Bosch Icon blades IMHO (Napa, AutoZone and most other parts store will carry). Plan on spending $25-40 for a pair. Simple DIY replacement.

Another thing to do is make sure the windshield surface is truly clean. Using a std window cleaner usually isn't enough. However, try a good one like Stoner's Invisible Glass combined w/ either a few day old newspaper or good microfiber cloths. 'Claying' (more info here and DIY here) your windshield will also help remove any surface contaminants which will cause the wipers to chatter/skip. You can pick up a cheap claybar kit at most parts stores too ~ $15. Griots Garage, a well known auto detailing supplier, has a clay specifically for windows - here but any of the off the shelf stuff (Mother's) should be sufficient.

Old 11-05-10, 01:04 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Happened to my windshield. You guessed it, rain-x, but in my case it is a different brand. But same concept. It was a nightmare, I tried cleaning it many times but like you it left a cloud.

After a while and several windex cleaning, finally came off. I will never put rain-x type seal again! I have 2 bottles of that crap.
Old 11-05-10, 01:56 PM
willyb0b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i only use rain-x in the bathroom on glass in the shower... helps prevent soap scrum and water spots
Old 11-05-10, 03:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I have used Rain-X for years without any problems and change the inserts (OEM only) every six months. They're washed when I wash the car. I'm wondering if the dealer put something on the windshield when it was for sale on the lot. Stoners is good but I like Chemical Guys better. Windex is garbage. Just hit up the CL vendors here. They might be able to help. Good luck.
Old 11-05-10, 04:12 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

As suggested, the dealer's prep people may have applied RainX to the windshield to help it repel rain while sitting on the lot. Secondly, they may have added one of the products to gloss up the wiper blades. Do yourself a favor and buy new blades. I am not sure what removes RainX but I would try Simple Green, rubbing alcohol/lighter fluid, and ammonia based products like Windex. Make sure it says ammonia on there. Also, do a Google search and you will see numerous write-ups on how to remove it. I would never use anything like steel wool or other serious abrasives. Fwiw, RainX will wear out after a few good rains and lots of wiper use, if you can stand the smearing.

In addition, RainX does serve a purpose for those with classic and antique cars who drive them. The use of RainX allows us to drive the car and not worry about using windshield wipers and risk ruing an expensive and difficult to repair wiper motor.
Old 11-05-10, 05:10 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
New blades will most assuredly help. Many options out there but you can't go wrong w/ a set of Bosch Icon blades IMHO (Napa, AutoZone and most other parts store will carry). Plan on spending $25-40 for a pair. Simple DIY replacement.

I recommend Bosch also but I get the Bosch Micro Edge wipers. They are cheaper about $24 a pair and do a nice job. Like Burg said, Autozone carries these wipers and they are very easy to install. Go to the Bosch web site and they have easy to understand steps and pictures to show you how to change them.

Cat
Old 11-05-10, 06:33 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

"oily" film on the windshield is the first sign of worn out wipers. Just replace them.
Old 11-06-10, 08:08 AM
mandyfig

I have the Bosch Icons, they rock! They look neat, too. It looks like an OEM, I like their bracket design, there's a cover.
Old 11-06-10, 08:08 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by arnieosp
"oily" film on the windshield is the first sign of worn out wipers. Just replace them.
Yup, 1st order of the day, change wipers, get the Icons.
Old 11-06-10, 11:57 AM
willyb0b
Pole Position

+1 for the bosch icons..... awesome wiper blade
Old 11-07-10, 01:05 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
++1 Like Anita (a few post above) I also use rain-x and re-applied them every 3 months or so. It helps out a lot during the rainy season here.
Old 11-08-10, 10:05 AM
mandyfig

I used Car Science, DO NOT USE THIS. It sucks.