RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX and Bluetooth and Smart Access

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 04:06 PM
someguy10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX and Bluetooth and Smart Access

Hi all,

I am new to the forums. I am considering purchasing a used RX for my wife and have found the local dealer useless for answering the following two questions:

1) What was the first year bluetooth was an option on the RX and what package/option was required to have it? Is there any difference for bluetooth availability between the gasoline and hybrid versions? Is there an easy way to tell by looking at pictures (ebay, auto trader, etc.) if a particular vehicle has it or not?

2) When was Smart Access available on the RX and what package/option was required for it? Any difference between gas and hybrid?

Can anyone answer these? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-10, 04:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi someguy. Welcome to CL. I can answer part of both questions. Other people here will have to pitch in. Bluetooth was available beginning with the '05 RX, the second year of the 2nd gen. I believe it was standard. I missed out on it by a year so I have no input on how it worked. Smart access is new on the 3rd gen. You'd have to go with the '10 or '11 to get that feature.

I might add I've been happy with my RXs. Your wife will like it. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-04-10, 06:02 PM
someguy10
Driver School Candidate

Hi, thanks for the welcome and the reply. Are you sure bluetooth became standard on any 2nd gens? From what I have been able to tell, cars with bluetooth have a button on the right side of the steering wheel (with phone hanging up and picking up icons on it) and a quick run through Ebay photos shows most 2G RXs do not have that button. The best I have been able to gather thus far is that maybe bluetooth is part of the Navigation option/package? I imagine bluetooth would be integrated into the dash/radio unit so the Nav thing kind of makes sense.

Bummer on the Smart Access feature. Kind of insane that both our current Toyotas (an 06 Prius and 07 Camry Hybrid) cost nearly half and had both bluetooth and the smart key technology standard!

Others please weigh in!

Originally Posted by kitlz
Hi someguy. Welcome to CL. I can answer part of both questions. Other people here will have to pitch in. Bluetooth was available beginning with the '05 RX, the second year of the 2nd gen. I believe it was standard. I missed out on it by a year so I have no input on how it worked. Smart access is new on the 3rd gen. You'd have to go with the '10 or '11 to get that feature.

I might add I've been happy with my RXs. Your wife will like it. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-04-10, 09:24 PM
nmmuzykam
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, to get bluetooth it would need to have the navigation package. And I believe that it was 2005 that it became included with the nav, as that was the year navigation systems were upgraded to Generation 4. 2007 and up have Gen 5 nav system, and 2010 models now use the new Gen 6. Just so you know, the Generation 5 GREATLY improved the bluetooth system, it is much clearer and louder, and you can put numbers into your car phone book manually instead of needing to do a phone book transfer. My bet is that a 2007 or newer model will be the best choice, especially since you can probably find a nice one a Lexus dealer with the certified warranty. Just my two cents, hope this helps!
Old 11-05-10, 12:38 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I want to say on the side here I love my 2005 BT and Navi. I have had many top of the line BT add ons with navi on my last car and 0 of them were 50% as good. Even Garmen looks great but does not always work and the BT for it is awful plus the voice is old school windows 95 PC voice! YUK! The Lexus is a real female voice.

The OEM integration is fabulous. I don't have to yell when talking to some one in the car. I use an iPhone 3Gs and it's flawless. So clear on both ends. However I can't seem to download my contacts I hear allot of complaints I just don't think people know what they are talking about hehe, or are familiar with the tech or lack patients. How great is it to push a button on your steering wheel to pick up the phone and still look at the road. Sorry I just had to
Old 11-05-10, 07:11 AM
someguy10
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, guys! I was planning to shoot for a 2006 or 2007 400h, since there doesn't seem to be much of a premium in the used market for the hybrid model and dropping back to 2005 doesn't seem to give much additional price discount (and doesn't have the hybrid from what I can tell).

I wouldn't buy a daily driver without BT -- it's too important of a safety feature!

Any other specific advice? Do all years and package levels have remote hatch open/close? What about HID/xenon lights? These aren't make or break, but you guys seem to really know your stuff.

Thanks again.
Old 11-05-10, 07:51 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the 2007 model, the engine is much improved over the 2006 (more power). Also the improved generation 5 navigation system was introduced with the 2007 model.