RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cargo Tonneau Cover?

Old 10-29-10, 01:37 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesjam
Cat, where? I don't see it in the trunk area.
Note redrocks post. The cover is stored under the two lids that is covered with the cargo mat. Is it there ? In your other post about the Halloween Trunk, the storage area is right under the skulls and the blue wrapped candy.

Cat

Last edited by catdaddylo; 10-29-10 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
spinellib (04-18-19)
Old 10-29-10, 02:10 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's not there be sure to ask the Dealer for one cos you can't just replace the Tonneau cover, it's the entire assembly which cost well over $700
Old 10-30-10, 05:13 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did Bluesjam find his cover?
Old 10-31-10, 01:07 PM
Bluesjam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cover was not in the storage area. I've been so busy this Halloween weekend with the grandkids that I wasn't able to go back and ask the salesman.
Old 10-31-10, 05:48 PM
khmoriarty
Driver School Candidate

I bought a CPO RX in August and have spent a fair amount of time looking into this. We asked for a tonneau cover and the dealer said he'd get us one, but he's taking his sweet time. So, I'm trying to prod him along by giving him relevant information (e.g., searching ebay, figuring out the right one to get, etc.).

First, you're not entitled to the tonneau cover under the CPO program. The famed 161 checkpoint list does not include the presence of the tonneau cover.

Second, I think Redrocks has the right idea: Notwithstanding my first point, just go back to the dealer and say, "Hey, I looked in the place that the manual says my tonneau cover is stored, and it was there! I was shocked, shocked!" They may well have a supply closet full of them and be willing to give you one, just to keep you happy. My opinion is that threatening to void the sale is a very extreme measure, but I guess that's an option, too.

Third, if that doesn't work or for whatever reason you decide to do it yourself, keep in mind this: On eBay, you'll want a tonneau cover that fits an RX made between 2004 and 2009. Any of those years will work. However, you *also* want a one that is made to fit where your car was built. The head rest sizes (where you fasten the tonneau cover clips) are different as between the Japan-built models and the Canada-built models. You can tell the difference by looking at your VIN (JTJ = Japan; 2T2 = Canada). Most sellers actually do not know this, so you'll have to contact them before you purchase.

Finally, I'm no expert, so if anyone has any comments or corrections, I would be interested in hearing them.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-10, 04:16 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by khmoriarty
I bought a CPO RX in August and have spent a fair amount of time looking into this. We asked for a tonneau cover and the dealer said he'd get us one, but he's taking his sweet time. So, I'm trying to prod him along by giving him relevant information (e.g., searching ebay, figuring out the right one to get, etc.).

First, you're not entitled to the tonneau cover under the CPO program. The famed 161 checkpoint list does not include the presence of the tonneau cover.

Second, I think Redrocks has the right idea: Notwithstanding my first point, just go back to the dealer and say, "Hey, I looked in the place that the manual says my tonneau cover is stored, and it was there! I was shocked, shocked!" They may well have a supply closet full of them and be willing to give you one, just to keep you happy. My opinion is that threatening to void the sale is a very extreme measure, but I guess that's an option, too.

Third, if that doesn't work or for whatever reason you decide to do it yourself, keep in mind this: On eBay, you'll want a tonneau cover that fits an RX made between 2004 and 2009. Any of those years will work. However, you *also* want a one that is made to fit where your car was built. The head rest sizes (where you fasten the tonneau cover clips) are different as between the Japan-built models and the Canada-built models. You can tell the difference by looking at your VIN (JTJ = Japan; 2T2 = Canada). Most sellers actually do not know this, so you'll have to contact them before you purchase.

Finally, I'm no expert, so if anyone has any comments or corrections, I would be interested in hearing them.

Good luck!
Great additional points from khmoriarty. Here's another option if the dealer fails to provide the cover. Understand since the "sale" is final and you bought the vehicle "as is", you have very little say in getting the dealer to spent $$ to replace the missing one. The dealer could take a cover from another vehicle on the lot and therefore be no cost to them.

I'm not sure what the T-covers costs on ebay, but a cheaper option is to have your windows tinted darker. This will provide the cargo area/back seats with additional "privacy" so people can't see what's in the vehicle. Being that you're in FL, tinting would be a great option and keeps the vehicle cooler. Cost for tinting will probably be under $200.

Good luck!! Love the rims on the PB Edition!
Old 11-01-10, 05:35 AM
Bluesjam
Rookie

khmoriarty, thanks for the good info. I buy and sell a few car parts all of the time. I'm still selling off some Hot Rods parts left over from the 72 Camaro and my Z06.
Old 11-02-10, 12:09 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, this is from a personal experience. When I got my CPO, I too did not get a T-cover
the sales guy dug around and gave me a 2009 T-cover but the clips can't be attach to the rear headrest because it's a smaller clip than 2006. I did call Lexus and let them know I'm not satisfy with the arrangement and I emphasis on the term "near new condition" and Lexus notify the dealer. Sure thing a few days later I got a call from both salesman and that they have a almost new T-cover with the right headrest clips for me to pickup. My point being you didn't go Lexus to take crap from stealership, you can always contact Lexus customer relations and don't forget you have a online review to voice your opinion too.
Old 11-02-10, 12:20 PM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mowmow
Okay, this is from a personal experience. When I got my CPO, I too did not get a T-cover
the sales guy dug around and gave me a 2009 T-cover but the clips can't be attach to the rear headrest because it's a smaller clip than 2006. I did call Lexus and let them know I'm not satisfy with the arrangement and I emphasis on the term "near new condition" and Lexus notify the dealer. Sure thing a few days later I got a call from both salesman and that they have a almost new T-cover with the right headrest clips for me to pickup. My point being you didn't go Lexus to take crap from stealership, you can always contact Lexus customer relations and don't forget you have a online review to voice your opinion too.
You are the lucky few to have the lexus customer service on your side, last time I tried to contact about the t-cover noise problem, I had the customer service advisor asked me to talk to the dealer and gave me a run around. With lexus they think they have the best cars ever invented by human beings.
hell with customer satisfaction attitude. What online review you are referring to ?
Old 11-02-10, 03:41 PM
Bluesjam
Rookie

Smile

Well, here's the final outcome on this. And it's good. Yesterday when I got home I had a voice message from the Sales Manager, he wanted to make sure that when we receive "the survey" we would give them the best marks for our purchase of our Lexus. He left his name and phone number and wanted to make sure we were happy. I have an employee and his wife is a big time car salesperson. I asked him how important "the survey" was. He said it was big and could keep a salesperson from reaching the highest sales level. So I called the sales manager and told him how happy we were with everything except we didn't get the tonneau cover and he said that they would find one. My salesman called about a hour later and said that we had one in his office. I went by on the way home and picked it up and it fits good and works great. I want to thank you guys for the support and help with this item. Thanks everybody.
Old 11-02-10, 04:58 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Well, here's the final outcome on this. And it's good. Yesterday when I got home I had a voice message from the Sales Manager, he wanted to make sure that when we receive "the survey" we would give them the best marks for our purchase of our Lexus. He left his name and phone number and wanted to make sure we were happy. I have an employee and his wife is a big time car salesperson. I asked him how important "the survey" was. He said it was big and could keep a salesperson from reaching the highest sales level. So I called the sales manager and told him how happy we were with everything except we didn't get the tonneau cover and he said that they would find one. My salesman called about a hour later and said that we had one in his office. I went by on the way home and picked it up and it fits good and works great. I want to thank you guys for the support and help with this item. Thanks everybody.
Happy to hear the good news! Enjoy that PB Edition!
Old 11-02-10, 08:52 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good job, you made them do what they should have done in the first place. I think this was a deliberate omission by the dealership. They were hoping you would not notice or be aware that one should be included with the sale.
Old 11-03-10, 05:42 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

There you go, persistence my fella, it works. Take a pic and post it for the heck of it! We want to make sure you realklky got one, LOL!
Old 11-03-10, 10:07 AM
Bluesjam
Rookie

Ok, I'll post a picture tonight. Anyway when the sales manager had my salesman call me he said "I just thought it was in the storage compartment".
Old 11-03-10, 11:32 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, I'll post a picture tonight. Anyway when the sales manager had my salesman call me he said "I just thought it was in the storage compartment".
Yeah, so did you! LOL!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cargo Tonneau Cover?