RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Question for recent 08 / 09 RX 350 buyers

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 12:38 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question for recent 08 / 09 RX 350 buyers

I'm new to this discussion group but have been with SC430 and ES330 forums for a time. My plan is to buy an RX in the next coucple months and I'd like to get insight from some of you who have recently bought an 08 or 09 RX350. Putting price aside, can I ask what features were important in your selection? Is there anything better about either year that you think would be relevant to me in making a purchase decision? Did you buy CPO?

The plan is to trade the 06 ES or sell outright. At this time I have no interest in a hybrid. Thanks for any thoughts you can offer that you think might help.
Old 10-27-10, 12:45 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

If I were on your shoes, things to think about and/or consider:

1. 08 will cost cheaper than an 09. Depends on mileage, too.
2. 08 and 09 are identical. But 09 will have longer TIME warranty.
3. Look for options installed.
4. Get the color you want.
5. Lexus CPO if a good deal, get it. Less headache for some amount of money.
6. CPO'ing a car is usually a $2,000 cost that is added on to your price.
7. If you are able to, check on service history one over another.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-10, 02:35 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
7. If you are able to, check on service history one over another.
Good luck.
Interestingly the service history seems to be available for any dealer-offered cars I've considered. Unfortunately according to CARFAX 80% of the same cars appear to be sourced from auctions or other distant Lexus dealers as lease returns. I am wondering if there's a local shortage and the dealer is beating the bushes for pre-owned product to sell because the new units may not be moving as well as they'd like. On a recent Saturday when I visited the new car showroom was completely empty but the used lot was crawling with customers.
Old 10-27-10, 03:25 PM
Bluesjam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that CPO is a more active market, especially for
Lexus. Now here in Palm Beach the lot is full of everything and it looks like to me that the new cars are doing well.
Old 10-27-10, 05:11 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

I might add that I would not hesitate to travel 3-400 mile radius to find an RX you would like. I live in Little Rock and bought my first Lexus at Sewell in Dallas because I got a much better deal. The last 2 Lexus I have bought were bought local. I had a Ford Explorer before I got my 08 RX and I wanted a vehicle that was better mechanically and a ride that was more luxurious than the Ford. The AWD was one of the main things I wanted even though in reality you only need it about 5 % of your total driving.

Cat
Old 10-27-10, 05:47 PM
bmvee
Driver School Candidate

Be sure the vehicle has the features you want... if you want Mark Levinson, Bluetooth... and so on... make sure the vehicle has those options... or at least the ability to add them easily and inexpensively. An example of this is iPod integration. The wrong option configuration can make this an expensive problem to deal with... think about things like a tow package... you get the idea. What do YOU want from the vehicle... if the one you're looking at is missing an option or two... will it be a big or small deal to add them.

Good luck with your purchase. I just bought an '05 330 and I love it, though I'm screwed with iPod/Sirius integration unless I'm willing to shell out a significant sum. If my car had the am/sat option in the radio, I'd be able to add this very easily with an iSimple adapter for $100.00

Stuff like this can be a pain so it's wise to think ahead a bit. I got a great deal so I can afford to blow a buck or two on extras.

Cheers & Bon Chance!
T
Old 10-27-10, 05:50 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
I might add that I would not hesitate to travel 3-400 mile radius to find an RX you would like. I live in Little Rock and bought my first Lexus at Sewell in Dallas because I got a much better deal. The last 2 Lexus I have bought were bought local. I had a Ford Explorer before I got my 08 RX and I wanted a vehicle that was better mechanically and a ride that was more luxurious than the Ford. The AWD was one of the main things I wanted even though in reality you only need it about 5 % of your total driving.

Cat
That's a good point. I've heard a lot of good about Sewell on the SC430 forum. It's not that far from KC to Dallas if it comes to that.
Old 10-27-10, 06:01 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bmvee
Be sure the vehicle has the features you want... if you want Mark Levinson, Bluetooth... and so on... make sure the vehicle has those options... or at least the ability to add them easily and inexpensively. An example of this is iPod integration. The wrong option configuration can make this an expensive problem to deal with... think about things like a tow package... you get the idea. What do YOU want from the vehicle... if the one you're looking at is missing an option or two... will it be a big or small deal to add them.

Good luck with your purchase. I just bought an '05 330 and I love it, though I'm screwed with iPod/Sirius integration unless I'm willing to shell out a significant sum. If my car had the am/sat option in the radio, I'd be able to add this very easily with an iSimple adapter for $100.00

Stuff like this can be a pain so it's wise to think ahead a bit. I got a great deal so I can afford to blow a buck or two on extras.

Cheers & Bon Chance!
T
Thanks for the insight. No audio system feature would be a deal breaker for me, although I would prefer no ML audio. Have it in the SC430 and the sound's not that great, component quality is poor and it costs an arm and a leg to repair, etc. Lots of SC owners are ditching their ML in favor of aftermarket, although they lose steering wheel controls and nav integration (what little there is).

I have navigation in the SC and would like to get it in the RX as well. That tends to be a more limiting factor here, as it seems that only about 25% of RXs available here have nav, maybe less.

I am developing a checklist of must haves, can't haves and don't cares. No gun to the head yet but it's getting to be about the right time to be moving forward, to borrow a Toyota ad slogan.
Old 10-27-10, 07:36 PM
mandyfig

You're good when you do not have a deadline to get the car. Good luck.
Old 10-28-10, 05:17 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Thanks for the help. I will report back if I make a purchase.
Old 10-28-10, 07:14 AM
Nashbar50
Driver School Candidate

I would certainly get one with the NAV. Rear visibility is a little more challenging without it. If you are in KC, check Superior Lexus. They seemed to have a lot when i was looking last month. I just bought my 08 from Mungenast Lexus in STL. Most of the RX they have on the lot have the NAV and AWD.

Last edited by Nashbar50; 10-28-10 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-28-10, 08:15 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nashbar50
I would certainly get one with the NAV. Rear visibility is a little more challenging without it. If you are in KC, check Superior Lexus. They seemed to have a lot when i was looking last month. I just bought my 08 from Mungenast Lexus in STL. Most of the RX they have on the lot have the NAV and AWD.
When I last checked Superior had about 3-4 RX in the age group I'm looking for. It was about the same for Mungenast, actually. What makes Superior look like they have a ton of vehicles is that they are able to leverage the considerable stock of the other Hendrick Automotive Group dealers, mostly in the South and Southeast US. So their website shows 50-some RXs or more. A number seem to be sourced from auctions. Was that your experience with Mungenast? What's your take on auction stock as long as it's CPO?
Old 10-28-10, 10:38 AM
Nashbar50
Driver School Candidate

Ohh that explains it.

Almost all the vehicles that Mungenast had were 2008's, low miles (25k - 36k) and they are a solid dealership. As far as I'm concerned, i would only buy a used lexus if it is CPO. Most of Mungenast's vehicles come from auction, my RX was from NY. As long as i have the CPO warranty, i could care less where the car comes from (as long as the car fax checks out).

They are a little tricky to negotiate with, i had to walk and comeback to get where i wanted to be. Also, they really wanted my 06 GS430 so that did help.
Old 10-28-10, 11:56 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

definitely go with CPO....it's worth the $$$ and saves you the headache down the road....good luck !
Old 10-28-10, 12:03 PM
mandyfig

CPO all the way. Friend of mine bought an ES330 CPO and had some problems with the car a few months later, but was so happy Lexus took care of it.

Lexus CPO, not the Dealer CPO. Lexus CPO means you can bring to any Lexus dealer and they will honor it. Dealer CPO means you are tied to the Lexus dealer you bought the car from.

Quick Reply: Question for recent 08 / 09 RX 350 buyers