RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anything I can do about a small windshield crack before it gets worse??

Old 10-23-10, 03:01 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anything I can do about a small windshield crack before it gets worse??

Did a search and did not find any conclusive info that I needed so I am posting a new thread.

Of course with my luck a rock hit my windshield yesterday on the highway. It was enough to kind of shock me a little and look. After I got out the car later well there is a small crack. Seeing so far our windshields to dam expensive to have replaced.

Is there any other good method before it starts to expand? I am assuming it will as it always has on my other cars. Maybe some service company or something?

Thanks.
Old 10-23-10, 03:12 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

If it is a chip or a small crack have it filled as soon as possible. Call your dealership and they will find a company they work with. You can also look up windshield repair or even call your insurance company.

Talking about insurance company, you should weigh your options about footing the bill, or make a claim or replace (with OEM or after market).

Certain cracks can not be and should not be repaired. The repair person will let you know. Last of all ask about warranty of the repair.

Salim
Old 10-23-10, 03:20 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The dealership did it for me, overpriced of course for around 300 dollars a few years ago. I just had a small crack, if you can call it that. It looks more like a small circular crack. Anyways, its filled and it has yet to spread. I would try to find another place besides the dealership to do it, but you should get it down asap. Dont bother with the DIY kits.
Old 10-23-10, 03:31 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Absolutely. First check with your auto insurance company. Many policies offer free chip repair and often will warrant it for life. The repair is quick and nearly invisible in most cases.

In the meantime put a piece of clear tape over it.
Old 10-23-10, 04:26 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Ok I am for sure not going to spend $300 at the dealer. Screw that. Thanks for telling me before I wasted my valuable time going there. I have a $100 deductible but know nothing about the windshield coverage. I will look on the site "Progressive" and see what info I can find before I call or make a claim.

Thanks guys. I should prob. do a search online for a local Auto Glass repair shop. As well.
Old 10-23-10, 05:02 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
Ok I am for sure not going to spend $300 at the dealer. Screw that. Thanks for telling me before I wasted my valuable time going there. I have a $100 deductible but know nothing about the windshield coverage. I will look on the site "Progressive" and see what info I can find before I call or make a claim.

Thanks guys. I should prob. do a search online for a local Auto Glass repair shop. As well.
Many insurers will waive the deductible for this repair as well.

Here is a link to Progressive's policy.
http://www.progressive.com/claims/claim-glass.aspx
Old 10-24-10, 02:25 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

jfelbab thank you. How great is that. I will see about taking care of this next week. Going to make the claim Sunday. Again thanks.
Old 10-24-10, 04:59 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

The last time I had a glass company fix a chip in my windshield I just called the auto glass company and they said they would contact my insurance company for me. They came to my home, fixed the windshield, asked me the name of my company and agent and that was it. The glass companies know which insurance companies will pay for their service with no charge to you.
I would get it done ASAP before it spreads and will not be able to be fixed. The glass companies will come to where ever your car is, home, work or what ever.

Cat
Old 10-24-10, 06:00 PM
vg1134
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you have hands on experience - you can get a kit they sell at your auto parts store. they cost about $15 dollars and it takes about 1/2 to an hour to complete. I tried it on my nissan and I came out perfect. all use can see is a slight haze on the area of the crack glass. nothing that really stands out unless you are looking for it. Its been about a year know and no problems. saved me a cool $125 dollars.
Old 10-24-10, 06:30 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

You can always try https://www.safelite.com/
Old 10-24-10, 10:13 PM
HEMIkiller
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me last week; contacted Safelite and my Insurance Company and the repair was completely covered and they came to my house on Sunday to repair my windshield...
Old 10-26-10, 03:52 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Good deal. Also depends on your coverage. Always check with your agent. Safety 1st. The windshield is your 1st line of defense.
Old 10-26-10, 03:52 PM
mandyfig

You want that windshield's integrity to be 100%. It is a structural support, too.
Old 10-26-10, 10:05 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Had a super busy past few days. Sorry I did not respond. I will call in the morning. I am covered
Old 10-27-10, 12:23 PM
mandyfig

Good for you! Go get'r done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anything I can do about a small windshield crack before it gets worse??