RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Brake Recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 06:29 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Yes, improved shifting.
Old 02-01-11, 06:44 AM
VAttorney
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus.com is your friend...

Originally Posted by ycl1688
if you owned the car for 5 months and from private owner how will lexus notify you about the recall ? what do you need to do ?
Just go to Lexus.com and register. Then add your vehicle... if the recall shows up once you've done that, yours needs the recall. Otherwise, contact your local Lexus dealer and they can tell you based on your VIN.
Old 02-01-11, 03:45 PM
lapdrn
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not receive my recall letter, but my service center fixed the problem. After 2 days it was fixed recall letter arrived. LOL.
Thanks LONGO LEXUS.
Old 10-30-13, 08:32 AM
bagsbie
Driver

Resurrecting the old thread... My 06 RX330 had just developed a relatively large brake fluid leak to the tune of the "Brake" light coming on to indicate the level is low every two weeks. I topped it off three times now and am thinking I need to bring my car in.

I recall receiving the letter about the master cylinder seal replacement. I inspected the master cylinder but could not see any leaks. I had not dropped the bottom panel to see if the brake fluid was puddling there.

Is this the observation everyone had made or am I dealing with something else?

Additional info: Took the car to the dealer. Master cylinder seal and brake booster needed to be replaced. Booster took on a lot of fluid.

Last edited by bagsbie; 11-02-13 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-06-16, 01:28 PM
GrnHornet
5th Gear

Hi All, I just read all 7 pages of this recall thread and think I should give some details I found out and dealt with on this in Northern California. We bought the car used in 07' from a non Lexus dealer, mainly because they wouldn't bargain At All. I had a Master Lexus mechanic of 15yrs (Family Friend) go through it before we bought it and needed brakes then @50k and a few minor things. Had him do the work and ran like a jewel.

We got the notice for our 04' RX330 back in mid 2011 but they didn't have parts yet and would notify us when they did. 2012 showed up but had been noticing a spongy peddle for a few months, called the dealer about the parts and recall. They said they just got the parts in and scheduled an appointment. Dropped it off almost empty 8-) and about 2 hours later got a call from the service rep saying we needed a new master to the tune of $600. I turned a journeyman wrench for 7 years (back in the day). I asked him; Do you have it out on the bench? Yes. Do you have it apart? Yes. Doesn't the recall require changing 2 of the 3 seals in it? Yes. Do you have the 3rd seal in stock.? I don't know. Is the inside of the cylinder corroded or worn severely? I don' know. Can I please talk to the Tech? Oh, it's not normally our policy and I think he's out to lunch. There were a few other not so pretty words and basically told him to Do the Recall Procedure, Flush the system and call me when it's done. Got it back and all was well until around August of 14' (~2yrs) and the pedal started to go spongy again. I also talked to our family friend after the dealer incident, who unfortunately work at a dealer ~2 hours from here, and got all the details of it, but most importantly he said his dealership had Replaced many free of charge...and thought if I pursued it could probably get it too from the local dealer. Probably should have gone to the BAR at some point, but didn't.

In August of 2014 I noticed the pedal going spongy again, and figured Ok it's got ~100k on it now probably time to change it. Our friend was out of town for a while so I talked to my brother who is a Master Mechanic for Mopar and Mercedes, and he said bring it in and we'll throw it on the rack to see what else it needs. Definitely the master and needed pads and rotors turned...Calipers were fine and dry as a bone. Ordered an OEM Beck Arnley ($90) and pads from Parts Geek and my brother and I did the whole thing in about 2 hours on the rack. Ran fine until about 2 weeks ago and my wife called saying the brake light was on. Got it home (5 minutes away) and the fluid was below min. Filled it, 2 days later, same thing!! Put it up in the air an pulled the wheels, Dry as a Bone Everywhere!! Called Parts Geek and they said Beck Arnley just puts their name on the box any more and who knows who actually manufactures them. The most interesting thing is that the reservoir drops to mid point in 2 days just sitting, nosed slightly downhill. @¿@

Ordered a Citric this time and will change it this weekend. Hopefully the booster isn't toast as they are $200 for a rebuilt which makes me pucker for what a new one may cost. In my 7 years turning a pro wrench I probably only changed a dozen masters, ok maybe 2 dozen, and primarily on cars with a lot of miles. And, only one that I remember that puked into the Booster and it was abused and let go way too long IIRC. My 92 SC400 has ~140K on it with the original still in place, and feels great. Frankly, IMHO something is drastically wrong with the design of this Master on the RX 330 at least, and know these are used on several other models. I had my licenses back in the day and to me brakes can only be done one way...The Right Way, (system design included) because you are taking others and your life into your hands if you don't.

Sorry for the book here but hope it helps others on this great forum. I've gotten some good tips on the SC from here and very appreciative! If anyone has any thoughts or insights about this I would appreciate them.

Thanks, ~GrnHornet

Last edited by GrnHornet; 07-06-16 at 01:48 PM.