RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Clicking sound in the center stack coming from a vent motor?? Need Tech advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 11:53 AM
willdogg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, this forum rocks! I had the same clicking/gerbil noise behind the glovebox of my wife's 2004 RX330. We've only had the RX 2 months and it was driving her nuts. After checking the DIYs on how to do it, i took out the glovebox and duct to make sure that it was the A/C Servo Motor. I told Darrell (from Sewell) that I needed one. Sewell had it for other Lexus models but not the RX. He put it up on their website this morning:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2004.html

Ordering the part today. Hopefully the hamster will be gone by next week.
Old 01-20-11, 04:31 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

My ticking sound on the center stack was the blender actuator. Replaced through warranty.
Old 02-12-11, 10:46 AM
willdogg
Driver

All right, I got my ac servo motor this week, but it turned out to be the wrong part. I thought the part I needed was part number 87106N, the part I really needed was 87106-0E040. It's the servo behind the glove box. If you guys are ordering this part make sure you get this part, aka Servo No. 1

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/4620.html

So, I'm in the process of getting an RMA for this. Anyways, I couldn't wait any longer for the correct part, so I bit the bullet and paid the extra $40 to get the part locally. The replacement went without a hitch. Removed the glove box, disconnected the switch connector, removed the lower duct, disconnected the light connector on the duct, and removed the upper duct. Disconnected the cable from the defective servo, removed the 3 mounting screws, and removed the servo.

Placed the new servo in the mounts and making sure the servo arm was in the vent arm slot, replaced the 3 mounting screws, and reconnected the cable.

I turned the ignition to the ON position and pressed the AC, mode, fan up/down, and the auto buttons to make sure the servo was working properly. after watching the servo arm lever move without any gerbil noises, i replaced the upper duct, glove box & switch connector, and lower duct & light connector.

Thanks to you guys, I probably saved $300-$400 doing it myself.
Old 02-12-11, 12:25 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Good deal! Any chance that you took pics? Would have been a nice DIY!
Old 02-12-11, 03:57 PM
willdogg
Driver

Mandy-

I wish I took pictures. I was working alone with no help, and I just wanted to get it done. But, I just followed this DIY from sakataj

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html

I just skipped the steps for the CD Changer and the blower wheel (I don't have the CD Changer and there's no need to remove the blower wheel).

Oh, I also changed the cabin air filter while I was at it.
Old 10-09-11, 12:46 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts
Default RX330 2004 Similar problem

I am having a similar problem and I have looked through all of the posts related to this subject and I am confused. My particular problem is the air is cold on the drivers side when turning the heat all the way to Max Hot. The heat works fine on the passenger side. The a/c works fine on both sides when on Max Cold. Which servo would cause this problem?

I was able to get it to work one time by moving the arm on the servo near the accelerator pedal. It seemed to be stuck. Which servo is this? I see number 063700-8820 12v 7 E 4000 on it.

Like I said, I looked through every post related to this issue. I see where one person had my same problem, but there was no answer to exactly which servo was the problem. I also have the dreaded clicking noise behind the glove box, but I assume based on what I did to make it work once that this is a problem, just not the source of this particular problem.

I appreciate anyone that can offer help on this.
Old 10-10-11, 10:33 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Servo Valves

On my first Lexus RX300. I had the same problem. First the clicking then when you selected hot or cold air. It didn't change.

Took the panel off and found both servos. I didnt know which one was bad. So since they were both the same part. I removed both of the them. Took them apart.

The problem was the grease inside the servos.. You could see it was missing in the middle of the metal arm area. And piled up on the ends. So I spread the grease around. Put the servos back together.

It lasted about 5 months and started clicking again. So I just went to the local auto parts store. Bought both of them. And changed them out.

I didn't remember which one is which. One is air flow and one is the temp. But since one went bad. I just changed both.

This is a very common problem on the RX300. And it looks like will soon be on the 330.
Old 10-10-11, 10:43 AM
MC5Wes

Default Servo Valves

Here is a link to changing the servos on a GS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html

This is the servo opened up.
Attached Thumbnails Clicking sound in the center stack coming from a vent motor?? Need Tech advice!!!-servo.jpg  
Old 10-10-11, 08:59 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Thanks for the timely replies

How do I know which servo to order? The one on the drivers side near the accelerator, what is this one called? Can I order it based on the number printed on it? Also, since there is also a clicking noise behind the glove box, which one is this? Is there more than one there? Are the labels in the GS section applicable to the RX?
Old 10-11-11, 12:12 AM
MC5Wes

Default Servos

I havent changed mine in my RX350. Just my old Lexus. So I dont know which is which. On my old car. I just changed both at the same time. So I didnt have to go back in agian.
Old 07-17-12, 02:03 PM
spongerwil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I am developing the same symptoms with my car. I heard the ticking/clicking with an occasional slurping noise. Also this is coming from the driver side, have not had a chance to look into it yet.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2004.html

I will have to determine what part I am looking for through sewellparts.
Old 07-21-12, 06:42 PM
ELITech
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, remember that there are two servos! The two different servos operate the "mode" servo and the "blend" servo, or for temperature blending. I can't say that I've done any in a 2nd gen RX, but on the first gen, they were both on passenger side, and you could take off the cover to feel which one was causing the issue.
Old 07-21-12, 07:56 PM
MC5Wes

Default Servos

If you take the passenger side center console cover off. You can see the black servos.

To figure out which one is which. Have someone press the buttons on the dash one at a time. And you will see the little plastic arms on the servos move.
Attached Thumbnails Clicking sound in the center stack coming from a vent motor?? Need Tech advice!!!-servo.jpg   Clicking sound in the center stack coming from a vent motor?? Need Tech advice!!!-servo2.jpg  
Old 07-22-12, 05:23 PM
spongerwil
Driver School Candidate

Took the time today while doing an oil change to look into this clicking now.

Since the sound was coming from the driver side, I removed the panel near the accelerator pedal. Once I got underneath to take a look, notice the arm connected to the servo was having difficulty moving and the reason for the clicking noise. I am guess this would be the blend servo?
Old 02-17-13, 12:19 PM
dontran
Driver School Candidate

Default ticking whirring sound in center console..

This is an old topic but we have this problem in our RX330.. we have that ticking whirring sound that sounds like from the center console.. it sounds like a stuck motor or something..

I went to the sewell web site and they list these items.. I just do not know which ones to buy and buying all of them is not an option..

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/4620.html

I see different parts listed from the members but none of them match the lexus part numbers..
063700-8820 11E4000
063700-8820 12v 7 E 4000
87106-0E040

thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Clicking sound in the center stack coming from a vent motor?? Need Tech advice!!!-rx330-servo.jpg  

Quick Reply: Clicking sound in the center stack coming from a vent motor?? Need Tech advice!!!