RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

door lock fixed but handle doesnt work...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 06:38 PM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default door lock fixed but handle doesnt work...

ok so i took apart my actuator and took out the little RC motor and gave it a bit of a alcohol cleaning + sanding on the brushes. Now the locks work... however when i was adjusting the latch, something must of came loose.... now neither the inside nor outside handle works and i cant open the door!......

any other way to open the door? thnx
Old 08-09-10, 11:09 AM
petterf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you hook up the ball joint end of the wire into the position of the handle again?
Old 08-09-10, 11:33 PM
action
Driver

yes. ok i got it working. jeez... what happend was when took the actuator apart, i forgot to screw on 1 bolt connecting the latch to the rest of the actuator, so it was only held on by the case. After screwing in the bolts to the door frame, it worked because the 3 screws drove through the case and into the backing plate holding the latch in place. I was feeling a bit of resistance at the handle so for some reason i decided to loosen the 3 bolts, and when i closed the door, it'll align and then i can bolt tight again.... now, when i loosened the bolts, nothing was holding onto the backing plate anymore, since i didnt screw in that single bolt, it popped out a bit when i shut the door causing the mechanism to not engage and open the latch....... after tonite, my bodyman friend came over and after explaining what i did and think the situation over, he finally thought to try and stick something down the window opening and push the actuator towards the door. We jammed a badmonton racket down and hammered it against the actuator and pop! the door opened! holy he just saved me $1000+! knowing the situation, my only other option was to cut open the inside door panel to get inside the door ($965 from dealer) or cut open the skin of the actual door and then repatch a door skin + paint + blend which will also run over $1000..... Needless to say i will be buying him and his wife a good dinner! Oh and i'll post pics of the actuator incase others have the problem. It'll save you $600+ from getting the whole thing replaced at the dealership if your power locks dont work.... granted you put everything back properly and not screw up like i did!

Last edited by action; 08-10-10 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-10-10, 09:07 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Good deal, the pics will help us. Good for you!
Old 08-10-10, 11:30 AM
petterf
Rookie

Wow that was a happy ending!
Old 08-10-10, 10:56 PM
action
Driver

wow i just realized i had some funky spelling mistakes after a 16 hour work day and fast typing from being overly excited in fixing my door.
Old 08-13-10, 04:28 PM
action
Driver

here's some pix of the actuator and procedure:

take off the door panel via phlfly's instructions:
http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=1...thkey=CMDIxccM

once off, the inside looks like this, it's a bit different than the rx300 where the handle/lock mechanism is on the metal door and not pane. the actuator is located on the left side of the image behind that piece of metal. It is also different than the ones in the rx300 and gs models:

actuator, this unit is 1 confined piece with the locking and power door actuator motor in 1 piece. It doesnt look like there is a way to retrofit a piggy back actuator. We're stuck with the crappy rc motors =( The actuator is held on by 3 bolts where the latch is on the edge of the door, remove those, then unscrew the bottom bolt of the left window rail so the actuator and be pulled out. Also remove the plug on the top.

the back, the colored circles correspond to the ones in the picture of inside the door. The red is the key control and blue is the handle mechanism. The green arrow points to the very important screw that i forgot to screw back causing the latch to disconnect from the rest of the actuator and causing me to be unable to open my door.

inside of the door. the left is the side towards the inside of the car and the right is the door skin.

the actuator taken apart. to do this, you need to remove a clamp piece at 1 end (pulls off) 2 screws, the large one holding the latch to the actuator (dont forget to put back in!) and another small one holding the body of the actuator together. Then carefully pop all the tabs and pull the thing apart. Insides look like this:

notice the RC motor. The shaft is a bit different than the ones in the gs. It's slotted and not tappered so the screw thing slides off easily and dont need to be hammered/pulled out. I didnt replace my motor as i didnt have 1 ordered, i was planning on taking it apart to pull the motor out and see if i can source one from a local RC shop. Since i had it apart, i decided i might as well pull the motor apart too and see if i can fix it. I popped the peened tabs on the RC motor holding the plastic white cap and pulled that off and took apart the internals. I then sanded the brushes and the copper conductor shaft inside the motor. It had this black residue on the conductor shaft from the years of spinning against the brush. Once i sanded off the residue, i put it back together and into the casing again. Clamped the 2 shells together + screw back the screws (which i forgot the first time) and put it back in the car. Now it works like a charm! hope this helps anyone with a 2nd gen RX with lock problem.

It took me a total of 20 mins to remove door panel and take out the actuator the first time. 1.5 hours from start to finish first time. The next one im sure i can do everything in under 30 mins.

Last edited by action; 08-13-10 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-13-10, 04:46 PM
petterf
Rookie

Thanks a lot for the photos and instructions!