RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Brake pads and rotors

Old 07-07-10, 08:44 AM
slance66
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads and rotors

My wife just called from the Lexus dealer. We noticed a shudder in the steering wheel while braking (especially at highway speeds) and took it in. Diagnosis and pricing are crazy. Front pads have 7mm, front rotors slightly warped ("not a safety concern"). Rear pads 2mm. $700 per axle for pads and rotors. That is highway robbery, so I'll be calling the local Toyota dealer, and Meineke.

The car has just 40k on it, and since we bought it used with 26k, I suspect that the front pads were replaced already, otherwise the F-R wear makes no sense. Does the RX normally require new rotors with every pad change? My old Volvo did. I don't really want to leave the warped rotors on, and can pay the small extra for new pads in front, but I'd rather not replace the rear rotors if it isn't needed. What's the official position on the rotors?
Old 07-07-10, 09:13 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Get the Lexus pads yourself, have the rotors turned. Install. Torque it right and pat your back. But if you are not the DIY type, have it done by Toyota. Would cost you not even half of Lexus quote.

Pads are $60 for front and $60 for rear. $ 120.00. Rotors turned for $10 a set, $20.00.

Labor, 4 hours total @ $50, $ 200. Total $340 out the door.
Old 07-07-10, 09:13 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

My dealer replaced the rotors with the brake pads twice on my '04. First time at 16K was free because the rotors were defective, something about inferior metal. The second time around 44K, I only paid for the brake pads and labor. The service manager who was the service advisor when I had them changed the first time didn't charge me for the rotors after I complained a little.

Now I do mostly city driving, stop and go, so that may explain the wear on mine. If the rear brakes are original, I'd say you got a decent amount out of them. But it shouldn't cost you $700 per axle. Definitely go to a Toyota dealer. Good luck.
Old 07-07-10, 09:19 AM
toyotaman
Driver School Candidate

i can not see how rear rotor warpage would cause steering shutter. I can see the fronts. Rotors usually warp because of temperature shocks ie carwash, Going through water with hot rotors etc. Rear rotors usually do not get that hot to warp.
Old 07-07-10, 09:49 AM
slance66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman
i can not see how rear rotor warpage would cause steering shutter. I can see the fronts. Rotors usually warp because of temperature shocks ie carwash, Going through water with hot rotors etc. Rear rotors usually do not get that hot to warp.
It's the fronts that are slightly warped. But the front pads are at 7mm, while the rear pads are at 2mm. Clearly I need new rear pads, and also either new or turned front rotors. Pads are cheap enough that I'd just replace all 4, along with front rotors. I don't know why Lexus wants to change the rear rotors as well, probably b/c my wife took it in and she doesn't know a rotor from a caliper or master cylinder.

I'm nervous about the DIY aspect, since a brake mistake is life threatening. I did a lot of work on my Volvo S60, but I don't have a decent jack. If Toyota comes in at a decent price, I'll go there. Otherwise I may be going the DIY route.
Old 07-07-10, 10:36 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

or find a reliable mechanic ?
Old 07-07-10, 11:38 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a big fan of raybestos advanced technology pads and rotors. Rock auto has them for great prices.
Old 07-07-10, 01:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by slance66
My wife just called from the Lexus dealer. We noticed a shudder in the steering wheel while braking (especially at highway speeds) and took it in. Diagnosis and pricing are crazy. Front pads have 7mm, front rotors slightly warped ("not a safety concern"). Rear pads 2mm. $700 per axle for pads and rotors. That is highway robbery, so I'll be calling the local Toyota dealer, and Meineke.

The car has just 40k on it, and since we bought it used with 26k, I suspect that the front pads were replaced already, otherwise the F-R wear makes no sense. Does the RX normally require new rotors with every pad change? My old Volvo did. I don't really want to leave the warped rotors on, and can pay the small extra for new pads in front, but I'd rather not replace the rear rotors if it isn't needed. What's the official position on the rotors?
Would stick with Toyota for your brake work over Meineke.

I have over 75K miles on my RX330 driven a mixture of city and highway driving. The front pads were replaced at 40K miles. Rears have yet to be replaced, however, they are due as they are now down to 3mm. Rotors have yet to be turned and still provide a smooth braking experience. Will not be turned when I do put the new brakes on the rear and perhaps not even when it comes time for the fronts, again.

Now, granted I live in the flatlands. Still, sounds like either the previous owner or yourselves are hard on the brakes.

Once the rotors are turned they will warp quicker than previous as they would be thinner. Thus, the reason for replacing over turning.
Old 07-07-10, 02:00 PM
mandyfig

True on the turned rotors. One turn, then replace. That would actually be ~ 80K for the one set of rotor, not bad.

Torque is a key ingredient in all this. Lug Nuts must be torque'd @ 80 ft-lbs.
Old 07-08-10, 04:54 PM
ftw
Rookie

Just did my rear pads. Got 75k out of them. Got the lifetime Duralast semi-metallic from Autozone for $20 a set. Rotors looked good so I did not bother to have them turned. So far so good, the pads are seating nicely!
Old 07-08-10, 05:59 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I hope you have good luck with the Duralast pads, but I honestly wouldn't trust them.
Old 07-08-10, 07:04 PM
mandyfig

I would only use the Toyota pads for our Lexus, just me.
Old 07-08-10, 09:18 PM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont even bother with duralast, it's a joke. If your going anything other than toyota, get Hawk Pads.
Old 07-09-10, 02:32 PM
ftw
Rookie

I have used Durlast in the past on multiple cars front and back semi-metallic and ceramic with no problem. I choose them because of there lifetime no questions asked replacement warranty. Since my driving style is kind of hard I usually warp out the front rotors before the pads are gone, either using stock rotors and pads or after market pads on stock rotors or aftermarket rotors with aftermarket pads. I figure why waste more money on stock pads when I never get to the point of using them up because I have to change rotors or have then turned. In the long run it saves me money because I don't have to buy a new set of pads every time I have to do rotor work.
Old 07-09-10, 03:08 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The warranty doesn't cover wear and tear I hope you know that. So basically that warranty is useless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake pads and rotors