RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Transmission Fluid Change - diy and pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 11:51 AM
Rudy602
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jbl, Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I have two RXs - his and her's - a 2002 RX300 and a 2004 RX330. That's why I was wondering about the synthetic for the second generation models. You don't even need to ask who drives the newer one. Since they both only have about 80K miles, they're in great shape for their age.
Old 03-25-14, 11:57 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy602
jbl, Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I have two RXs - his and her's - a 2002 RX300 and a 2004 RX330. That's why I was wondering about the synthetic for the second generation models. You don't even need to ask who drives the newer one. Since they both only have about 80K miles, they're in great shape for their age.
I use the standard Toyota T-IV fluid which is listed in the Owner's Manual. Keep it fresh and you will be OK. Drain and fills are fine. The transmissions in the 2nd Generation RX are much better than those problematic ones in the 1st Generation RX.
Old 03-25-14, 11:58 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy602
HA! No worries Man - so my 2005 says to use the Toyota fluid and that's what I use. But I know there are guys that use the synthetics with no issues.
Old 03-25-14, 04:18 PM
Rudy602
Driver

Thanks for the info. I heard about the issues with the first generation transmissions so I usually give it 4 fresh quarts at every oil change since it's easy and cheap enough - so far no problems but only 80K. Time will tell. The radiator on the 04 is leaking antifreeze at the top. I figured that since I had to disconnect the transmission lines from the radiator, it would be a good time to change the fluid.

Last edited by Rudy602; 03-25-14 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-14-15, 03:56 PM
trakker
Driver School Candidate

A Mityvac 7400 works great for extracting the extra fluid out if you overfilled.
Old 03-19-17, 09:57 AM
Levi83
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 Rx 330 transmission fluid change

hey guys in new tot the forum and to changing the transmission fluid. The posts here have helped a lot but I have a few questions. After draining the pan and refilling through the dipstick the amount that was drained you then unhook the cooling line and drain the fluid through that hose emptying out the remaining fluid. My couple questions. Does this also drain out what you refilled after you drained the pan? And do you refill all of your fluid through the dipstick? If it does In fact drain out everything from your transmission why would you drain from the pan and the cooling line and not just from the cooling line? I could be way overthinking and probably am. I just wanna make sure I do everything correctly. Thank you.
Old 03-20-17, 04:35 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi83
hey guys in new tot the forum and to changing the transmission fluid. The posts here have helped a lot but I have a few questions. After draining the pan and refilling through the dipstick the amount that was drained you then unhook the cooling line and drain the fluid through that hose emptying out the remaining fluid. My couple questions. Does this also drain out what you refilled after you drained the pan? And do you refill all of your fluid through the dipstick? If it does In fact drain out everything from your transmission why would you drain from the pan and the cooling line and not just from the cooling line? I could be way overthinking and probably am. I just wanna make sure I do everything correctly. Thank you.
Welcome!

Unless you're doing a full fluid exchange, don't touch the cooling lines. Considering there is a large amount of fluid in the torque converter, you can't get all of the old fluid out from either drain point by doing just a drain.

This is quite simple...

Use a 10mm Allen wrench to remove the transmission drain plug. Allow it to drain. Replace the drain plug. Fill up using the dipstick tube and long funnel. If you're not sure if the fluid level was correct to begin with, it usually takes about 4 quarts to refill. Drive it for a week or so, and repeat the procedure. Do that all again one more time. You now have 3 drain and fills, which will get mostly all the old fluid out.

Some owners drop the pan and replace the filter for the third drain and fill, but it's an involved process that is time consuming. That usually requires 4.5 quarts to refill.
Old 03-20-17, 05:06 AM
Levi83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RedGemini
Welcome!

Unless you're doing a full fluid exchange, don't touch the cooling lines. Considering there is a large amount of fluid in the torque converter, you can't get all of the old fluid out from either drain point by doing just a drain.

This is quite simple...

Use a 10mm Allen wrench to remove the transmission drain plug. Allow it to drain. Replace the drain plug. Fill up using the dipstick tube and long funnel. If you're not sure if the fluid level was correct to begin with, it usually takes about 4 quarts to refill. Drive it for a week or so, and repeat the procedure. Do that all again one more time. You now have 3 drain and fills, which will get mostly all the old fluid out.

Some owners drop the pan and replace the filter for the third drain and fill, but it's an involved process that is time consuming. That usually requires 4.5 quarts to refill.
Thank you very much for the response and advice. That does sound much simpler. I'll use that process. Thank you again.
Old 02-09-20, 05:43 AM
Willchau
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission Drain Plug

What hex size do you use to remove the transmission drain plug?

Originally Posted by dco5000
Notes of draining the fluid. It was hard to turn the drain plug, maybe 60 or 70 lb force. I had to use a breaker bar over my 10mm Allen Wrench, actually had my wife assist because I did not want to risk stripping the nut by twisting instead of pulling. My drain plug did not appear to be magnetic (this was a surprise and different that what I had read on the boards; I assume there are magnets in the pan. This was not a concern to me, but I did want to note it). My fluid looked used, but neither new or dirty, just used. In fact when I flushed the trans cooler, I can’t say that I ever saw the color change from dark red to bright red. (And maybe I could have pumped 2 more quarts and I would have seen a difference, a $10 “what if?” that I can debate for another 10 years, until I change the fluid again.)

I drained, let it drip for 10-15 minutes, installed the drain plug and poured 4 qt thru the dipstick. I then emptied the used fluid back into the 1 qt bottles. That is how I now that I got about 4 ¼ to 4 ½ fluid through the pan. Don't have a filter? Visit a Dollar Store, or ask your Mom, Aunt or Grandma for an old one. Nothing special, just needs to fit into the dipstick hole (also useful for pouring from waste pan back into used bottles).