RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Transmission Fluid Change - diy and pics

Old 07-21-10, 02:33 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
Nice DIY indeed.

My question is this...for my RX330, I had a heck of a time getting the fluid to the right level. For instance, I measured specifically what exactly was drained, and put that exact amount in, and now, when the engine and trans are completely cool, the ATF level is an inch and a half over the "HOT" notch on the dipstick...I notice that the transmission, when cold, shifts abruptly but then when it warms up, it is as smooth as it always was...

I honestly can't remember before I changed the fluid if the trans shifted abruptly when cold or not...that's what happens when you get old.

Bottom line: Do I have too much fluid in this unit???

Thanks much for replies.

JBL
The failure mode for TOO much fluid is greater than not having enough fluid. Suggest you drain a bit and get the level right, assuming you are measuring it the right way.
Old 07-21-10, 07:33 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks folks for the replies - here are my findings:

On a level surface, at operating temperature, the ATF fluid level is right at the highest notch of the "HOT" reading, EXACTLY. Which leads me to believe I am good to go.

My "over the top and maybe reading in too much" question is: Why is my level a good inch or so above the HOT level when the engine is COLD??? There must be a purpose for the "Cold" level on the dipstick...then again, maybe I am the dipstick.............

Thoughts???
Old 07-21-10, 08:20 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Are you checking the fluid while the car is running?
Old 07-22-10, 04:56 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry I left out that particular detail. Yes I am checking with the engine running at operating temp.
Old 07-22-10, 07:18 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
Sorry I left out that particular detail. Yes I am checking with the engine running at operating temp.
Checking it Hot is a better bet on accuracy. Just dont check it after a long hot trip on an Interstate, It will read higher sometimes until you let it settle down some.
Old 09-07-10, 10:14 PM
richonline
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a great diy.
Old 09-08-10, 06:31 AM
espressoRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dco5000
Don't have a filter? Visit a Dollar Store, or ask your Mom, Aunt or Grandma for an old one. Nothing special, just needs to fit into the dipstick hole (also useful for pouring from waste pan back into used bottles).
Am I missing something? What did you use for a filter, hose?
The following users liked this post:
ct77414 (03-06-22)
Old 09-09-10, 06:47 AM
Fivewilds
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission rusted lines

Originally Posted by MrBooby
There is actually a good video on what you did, thanks for the post. Apparently this method is "a mechanic's secret".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPAadc9fY
Why do you not purchase a bottle on Klean Strip Rust Converter CR22 and brush on your rusted lines? It only cost about six dollars and you'd never get anymore rust on the lines. You could also use it on some of the other rusted areas I see under your car. This stuff is really good!
Old 10-24-12, 03:35 PM
ES BL155
Pole Position

After a long night last night, I was able to complete the transmission drain and fill on my parents rx330. But after pulling the oil cooler line as indicated in pictures and starting the engine, expecting transmission fluid to come out of the rubber line, it actually came from the metal side tube not the rubber hose. I am almost certain that the hose that I pulled was the hose from the picture, is it possible that the picture in this diy is pointing to the wrong hose?

I resolved the problem by placing a long clear plastic tube over the metal end to circulate the fluid into my waste container.

Also tranny fluid kept pouring and never started to split, it was just a steady stream the whole time. I ended up noticing that it was starting to come out somewhat red after about four qts. But this is pure speculation since, quite a bit of tranny fluid ended up on the ground. I ended up using just shy of 9 qts of T-IV ATF.

Regardless, I now have a restored color to my fluid all thanks to this DIY , only problem is that I'm not even sure how accurate the levels are.

Last edited by ES BL155; 10-24-12 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 02:21 PM
Hajoca
Driver School Candidate

FYI Over filled transmission will push fluid out of the vent to prevent over pressurizing the fluid case. being a bit over the full hot mark is ok.
Old 01-07-13, 03:20 AM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES BL155
After a long night last night, I was able to complete the transmission drain and fill on my parents rx330. But after pulling the oil cooler line as indicated in pictures and starting the engine, expecting transmission fluid to come out of the rubber line, it actually came from the metal side tube not the rubber hose. I am almost certain that the hose that I pulled was the hose from the picture, is it possible that the picture in this diy is pointing to the wrong hose?

I resolved the problem by placing a long clear plastic tube over the metal end to circulate the fluid into my waste container.

Also tranny fluid kept pouring and never started to split, it was just a steady stream the whole time. I ended up noticing that it was starting to come out somewhat red after about four qts. But this is pure speculation since, quite a bit of tranny fluid ended up on the ground. I ended up using just shy of 9 qts of T-IV ATF.

Regardless, I now have a restored color to my fluid all thanks to this DIY , only problem is that I'm not even sure how accurate the levels are.

I too think picture shows the wrong line to pull. I did mine this weekend, and pulling the first line, ended up pulling the other and it worked well.
Old 04-22-13, 06:55 AM
skysurfing
Driver School Candidate

Default Metal shavings in transmission pan.

Last night I dropped pan and changed out filter on a 2006 RX330 I just bought and found a good bit of metal shavings in it. I'm attaching a photo of the largest piece which is scary. There were also a few much smaller pieces that weren't stuck to the magnets but were large enough to hear move around the pan as i cleaned it. Is this a really bad sign that my tranny is in trouble? I just bought this car but it has a few weird sounds that have me wondering if it's a lemon and if I should just sell it for a loss (had to pay tax since I'm in Florida) and move on. The tranny shifts really smooth but that seems like a big piece of metal.

Thanks for your help!

Also, like the others mentioned, the circled return line in the photo from the original poster is wrong. Disconnect the other one.

Not sure if the RX300 is the same as no one mentioned this in the DIY but the frame goes over 4 of the 18 bolts on the pan making access to them extremely difficult and getting them back in a nightmare. The instructions were great but had I known what a nightmare it would be, I would have happily paid a mechanic to do that. Just the drain and refill is a piece of cake though.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Fluid Change - diy  and pics-metal-shaving-from-tranny.jpg  
Old 04-22-13, 07:15 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Chunks like that are not normal Bro. Your going to have some kind of failure down the road, I can almost guarantee you.

Last edited by lexus114; 04-22-13 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-22-13, 07:35 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

looks like a gear tooth....
Old 04-22-13, 07:46 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexus114
Chunks like that are not normal Bro. Your going to have some kind of failure down the road, I can almost guarantee you.
+1. And I would rather guarantee that 100%. Not a matter of if, just when.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change - diy and pics