RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2007 Lexus RX350 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 03:13 PM
cjkeeme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Lexus RX350 Questions

A local dealer is offering a 2007 Lexux RX350 for $23,978.00. I have gone down to look at it and it seems to be in great condition. It has 51,000 miles on it.

What concern should I have on this vehicle? The price seems to good to be true, but the test drive went well. We are requesting another test drive tomorrow and if all goes well will purchase the vehicle.

Now that the vehicle is out of warranty I am being extra cautious to ensure there is nothing fishy about this car. Can anyone offer my any advise I things I should look out for when test driving the car?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Things I have already done:
  • Received a CarFax Report
  • Received Service Record from Dealership
  • Vehicle was a Trade-In
Old 06-29-10, 04:19 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would make sure it has all the options you want. There were a few that were made without HID headlights and such. These can be overlooked if you don't know about them or don't thoroughly inspect it. Ask if you can have it for a day or 2 to make sure you like it and there are no apparent problems. Put the VIN into the my lexus website and look at the dealer service history.

Good luck!!
Old 06-29-10, 04:51 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The price may seem low, however, there are things to consider. First it does not seem to be a certified Lexus with all the inspections that requires and therefore does not come with any extended warranty. You are purchasing as-is.

Next, the economy is tough right now.

You do not mention if it is FWD, AWD or what options it might have. You have the CarFax, so that and the service records will show you the condition of the car. Does it need tires or brakes?

Estimating $43K for an original sticker price for the base unit with leather around that time for a FWD model you are looking at roughly a 50 percent depreciation. Sounds about right.

Would offer the dealer $21K to see if they will come off the price some.

If you are happy with the color and options of the RX, and the price it right for you... go for it.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase.
Old 06-29-10, 04:58 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

At that price I would assume this is a base model (without Navigation or Premium Plus Package). Even so, that is a good price. Is this being offered for sale by a Lexus dealer?
Old 06-29-10, 05:21 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Guys after seeing posts, I think the extra checks that customers expect on a CPO is some what bogus. Sure they go over stuff but not with a fine tooth comb to uncover defects. The warranty is what you get with CPO and that will cover any defects.

Salim
Old 06-29-10, 05:27 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Salim - We don't know if this is a Lexus CPO or not. It could be the local Ford dealer or Tom's Used Cars.
Old 06-29-10, 11:00 PM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from my personal experience, carfax isnt something you should base a purchase on. it's good to knw the general background but alot of things are missed if for example an accident is dealt with privately. Also doesnt tell you the mechanical condition of the vehicle. If i were you, i would pay a good indie mechanic to thoroughly inspect the car, ie jack up the car on a life and inspect ALL of the car. The mechanic can also tell you right away if the car's been in an accident. Inspection should run you an hour or so so roughly $100 depending on the mechanic hourly rate. Oh and Triple A's inspection is BS, dont use them. $100 investment for peace of mind and knowledge of past and potential future problems is peanuts on a $25k car, especially if it'll save you thousands in repairs in the future.
Old 06-29-10, 11:30 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by action
from my personal experience, carfax isnt something you should base a purchase on. it's good to knw the general background but alot of things are missed if for example an accident is dealt with privately. Also doesnt tell you the mechanical condition of the vehicle. If i were you, i would pay a good indie mechanic to thoroughly inspect the car, ie jack up the car on a life and inspect ALL of the car. The mechanic can also tell you right away if the car's been in an accident. Inspection should run you an hour or so so roughly $100 depending on the mechanic hourly rate. Oh and Triple A's inspection is BS, dont use them. $100 investment for peace of mind and knowledge of past and potential future problems is peanuts on a $25k car, especially if it'll save you thousands in repairs in the future.
I have not used one [there used to be Lemon Buster or some thing similar]. If any one has, do they stand behind their report. Do they at least refund the money if a problem in uncovered in say 30 days.

Salim
Old 06-30-10, 06:51 AM
cjkeeme
Driver School Candidate

Wow! Thanks for all the input. The local Volvo franchise is selling the vehicle. It was a trade-in and I have the service records. Everything seems clean. It also has navigation, black leather seats, and a moon roof.
Old 06-30-10, 06:55 AM
cjkeeme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Put the VIN into the my lexus website and look at the dealer service history.
Can anyone provide a link to where I can enter in the VIN number to pull up its history on the Lexus website?
Old 06-30-10, 07:04 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cjkeeme
Can anyone provide a link to where I can enter in the VIN number to pull up its history on the Lexus website?
here is the link you might have to register for the first time

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 06-30-10, 08:22 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by cjkeeme
Wow! Thanks for all the input. The local Volvo franchise is selling the vehicle. It was a trade-in and I have the service records. Everything seems clean. It also has navigation, black leather seats, and a moon roof.
Since it is not a Lexus dealer selling the car, you maybe be at a higher risk.

Generally these are the 2 best case scenarios you want:

1. If the car is still under warranty, you can buy it (all other factors considered). You will always have the body of knowledge available here to get you car fixed under warranty. Whether it is a Lexus dealer selling it or not.

2. Lexus CPO car, even if it is out of regular warranty. The CPO warranty takes over and you can get the car fixed.

Go look for an RX which fit in either of the 2.

If not, then the risk is high. Even if there is a 3rd party extended warranty on the table. There is no guarantee that the repairs will be covered.

JM2C.

I think you should shop around. Good luck.
Old 06-30-10, 08:27 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Carfax reports are not as useful to determine hidden issues. Some people get away with accidents and are not reported on Carfax. If your car was in an accident and the Lexus dealer found out about it, most of your claims can be denied as: "the car has been in a wreck and therefore failure root cause can not be determined."

This showed up on report when I took my car in for the headlamp condensation issue. The service tech saw a small bump on the bumper under the headlamp and he insinuates that the bump could have cracked the headlamp....what crap, right?

But it happens.