RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Increase Horsepower.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-10, 01:34 PM
mminton350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increase Horsepower.....

This is my first post in this forum. Happy to be here! I drive a CLK as my daily driver and my wife and I recetly bought a MY08 RX350. Love the car ovrall, the ease and comfort of driving this car is spoiling me!

I would however love to know if any of you have found any easy ways to milk a few extra horses out of the V6? My first thought was to install K&N airfilter but other than that I am pretty new to this vehicle and its engine.

I'd love any insight/advise you all have to offer!

Glad to have found a great forum!

Thanks for your knowledge,

MMM350
Old 06-27-10, 01:44 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

One of the easiest way to increase HP is a freer flowing exhaust system. The downside is usually a louder tone that you may find irratating (and others outside vehicle) after a while. Also you may check out after market computer chip that change spark advance, timing, etc. but the easiest way is just keep that baby washed, waxed and clean.

Cat
Old 06-27-10, 03:43 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I am not aware of after-market chip for Rxs.

My recommended list is:

1. Shed the weight, this will give you the most [hp/weight] factor improvement. But it will come at a cost of luxury/comfort/spare etc.

2. Change the torque converter.

3. Wheels and tire. Low weight, better traction etc.

Salim
Old 06-28-10, 12:06 AM
wr332
Rookie

have you try the stickers yet? i been told they work wonders, just put them on and they boost your Horsepower up by 40+ every kid is doing it,. and they say it really works

Results may vary

Old 06-28-10, 02:10 AM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep in mind if you go with a free flowing exhaust (less backpressure), it'll increase hp but lower your torque.
Old 06-28-10, 03:51 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Welcome.

While I also considered wanting the RX faster, it was an idea that lasted only a short time. Instead I'd rather make it look/sound better IMO and keep the speed for my other car

To answer your question though, I'd get the TRD exhaust from Carson since it's cheap, and install a drop in free flowing filter into the OEM filter housing (if they make one). I would not go with an open element filter in this car, and that's just me
Old 06-28-10, 04:44 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no official Exhaust systems that I know of so far in my modding searches. If TRD makes one for this car I did not see it on there site. Can you provide a link please?? I have however found two short ram intakes that I am pretty sure will give you a small but noticeable Torque in the low end. Here is the ebay link. The manufacturer is legit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 06-28-10, 07:01 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Here are some:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/model/st...d=33&cat_id=10

and some more:

http://www.luxurymods.com/exhaustsystems_11.aspx
Old 06-28-10, 08:11 AM
mminton350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the suggestions. Including the awesome stickers idea. Along those lines I was thinking I could squeeze a few more ponies out of badging the RX as a LFA....thoughts?

Just to clarify what I'm trying to accomplish here. I drive a V8 Coupe with substantial mods.....thats my speed fix. This car is my wife's daily driver. I guess this is more for me when I get behind behind the wheel, I just feel the need for a little more muscle.

HP/TQ gains, but maintining the quiet and the lux. My wife would castrate me if her RX ended up sounding like my car with an Eisenmann Race or something. Are there Tuners out there with solid rep for programminging Lexus ECU's?

I've done a few searches but in terms of reputation I know very little. I'm accustomed to German tuners. Kleeman, RennTech, etc. But clueless whenit comes to Lexus.

I do think I'll look into aftermarket Sway bars / bushings upgrades for better handling. anyone know much about Daizen tuners out in CA? http://www.daizensporttuning.com/model/lexus-rx.html

Are there underdrive pulley's out there for the RX?

Keep the ideas and links comin! I'm a DIYer on my german car and looking forward to learning more about our Lexus.

Thanks for sharing your Knowledge!
MMM350
Old 06-28-10, 11:21 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by mminton350
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the suggestions. Including the awesome stickers idea. Along those lines I was thinking I could squeeze a few more ponies out of badging the RX as a LFA....thoughts?

Just to clarify what I'm trying to accomplish here. I drive a V8 Coupe with substantial mods.....thats my speed fix. This car is my wife's daily driver. I guess this is more for me when I get behind behind the wheel, I just feel the need for a little more muscle.

HP/TQ gains, but maintining the quiet and the lux. My wife would castrate me if her RX ended up sounding like my car with an Eisenmann Race or something. Are there Tuners out there with solid rep for programminging Lexus ECU's?

I've done a few searches but in terms of reputation I know very little. I'm accustomed to German tuners. Kleeman, RennTech, etc. But clueless whenit comes to Lexus.

I do think I'll look into aftermarket Sway bars / bushings upgrades for better handling. anyone know much about Daizen tuners out in CA? http://www.daizensporttuning.com/model/lexus-rx.html

Are there underdrive pulley's out there for the RX?

Keep the ideas and links comin! I'm a DIYer on my german car and looking forward to learning more about our Lexus.

Thanks for sharing your Knowledge!
MMM350
RX is not a greyhound and it is a mule. <= a good looking mule (imho). I would suggest let it be. Any changes to intake or exhaust will make the thing louder and even annoying based on drone in the cabin ... specailly exhausts which can cause a drone at crusing speed. If you have the tuning bug, make sure your wife approves of the mod, after sitting in a vehicle and not just listening to a sound clip. Else buy a comfortable sofa for yourself along with your mod for her.

The tuner market is hot with stuff for Honda's, Accura's. I would say for tuner enthusiasts, Lexus is not the brand. Lexus did try to make an entry back in '99 with GS and LTuned, but that kind of fizzled off. SCs and ISs have the most tuning options available. RX is pretty much at the bottom of the heap. Any money you spend on tuning will hurt you during resale, unlike some other cars where the money invested/sunk is lost.

Salim
Old 06-29-10, 06:48 AM
mminton350
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks everyone....

And I hear what you are saying salimshah but I want to be clear; I'm not looking to lower the car, put in purple headlights, N2O & some loud race exhaust. I want to enhance the vehicle in its current luxury SUV state. I'm certain it can be done w/out trickin everything under the hood. Just looking to squeeze a few more horsepower / torque and take out some of the roll with sway bars. I love to get under the hood myself and do some of my own work. It's a hobby of sorts.
Thanks everyone for your ideas and input.
I appreciate your knowledge.
MMM350
Old 06-29-10, 10:43 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Short ram will for sure do this. Noticeable immediate results from my past experiences. not really sure about an exhaust though. You can overdo it and lose torque.
Old 06-29-10, 11:52 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 05 rx330 which I have added a custom dual exhaust system and Weapon R cold-air intake. Please look at the photos I posted today. If you have any questions, etc please ask.
Diverchris