RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

DIY parking sensor

Old 06-23-10, 12:45 AM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY parking sensor

has anyone DIY'ed their own parking sensor on the rx? im looking to pick up a $30 kit from ebay with the distance and directional LED and diy it myself, seems it should be pretty straight forward unless specific issues with our cars. anyone have first hand experience? thanks!
Old 06-23-10, 08:20 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't heard of anyone doing this, but it sounds like an interesting project. If you decide to do this, please post pictures and a DIY guide.
Old 06-23-10, 11:37 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have installed quite a few on chrysler products a few years ago, the only thing i can see being an issue for you will be getting power to the module. sometimes they require power from the battery, sometimes just the reverse light. if you need power from the battery its a real pain. other than that it should be a pretty straight forward install. the compartments in the trunk come out quite easily
Old 06-23-10, 12:59 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

As always the problematic part is getting the wires in an out, tapping the 12v properly and mounting devices.

Salim
Old 06-24-10, 12:18 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
As always the problematic part is getting the wires in an out, tapping the 12v properly and mounting devices.

Salim
I had bought an inexpensive parking sensor that mounted just below the number plate - real easy installation because the power tap is the reverse light, and the RX has easy access through the rear hatch inside cover/trim. I ended up installing it on the BMW, because an audio/alarm shop offered 'bumper' inserts that gave better coverage for $180 installed + cost of painting them to match. They also provide a visual indication (under the bottom of the front windshield) that shows the distance to 'touch' in digits, unbelievably accurate.
In my view (or lack thereof), the rear view of the RX without the camera is abysmal. Also, the reverse lights are weak. This is a bad combination. I could easily envision that a child could be behind the car and I wouldn't be able to see him/her. Thus, failing the camera, I believe rear parking sensors are essential.
Old 06-24-10, 10:45 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Yes the wattage on our reverse lights is low, or else the design is not optimal. Some people have upgraded to LED and quite successful. You have to tear down the rear hatch to get to the lights, that's the negative.
Old 06-24-10, 10:05 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Yes the wattage on our reverse lights is low, or else the design is not optimal. Some people have upgraded to LED and quite successful. You have to tear down the rear hatch to get to the lights, that's the negative.
Great idea if they are much brighter without extra heat. They may be an interesting addition to the parking sensors. I'll see what I can find on ebay. Are you aware if there any 'better' ones and if they are compatible with the 'bulb' warning of the RX350? Also... installation must be as easy as changing the reverse light bulb?
Old 06-25-10, 03:55 AM
action
Driver

Originally Posted by pauljcl
I had bought an inexpensive parking sensor that mounted just below the number plate - real easy installation because the power tap is the reverse light, and the RX has easy access through the rear hatch inside cover/trim. I ended up installing it on the BMW, because an audio/alarm shop offered 'bumper' inserts that gave better coverage for $180 installed + cost of painting them to match. They also provide a visual indication (under the bottom of the front windshield) that shows the distance to 'touch' in digits, unbelievably accurate.
In my view (or lack thereof), the rear view of the RX without the camera is abysmal. Also, the reverse lights are weak. This is a bad combination. I could easily envision that a child could be behind the car and I wouldn't be able to see him/her. Thus, failing the camera, I believe rear parking sensors are essential.
how did you route it into the hatch? did you have to run through the 2 rubber wire 'hoses'? is it easy to gain access to them? i dont mind pulling off panels of my cars but i dont like breaking pieces haha.

ya all the kits require power tap to the reverse lights + brake lights for the front sensors too. I plan on getting the 2 front and 4 reverse ones.
Old 06-25-10, 10:31 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by action
how did you route it into the hatch? did you have to run through the 2 rubber wire 'hoses'? is it easy to gain access to them? i dont mind pulling off panels of my cars but i dont like breaking pieces haha.

ya all the kits require power tap to the reverse lights + brake lights for the front sensors too. I plan on getting the 2 front and 4 reverse ones.
The access wasn't too bad because 'all' was to be contained under the rear panel: the 'inexpensive' sensors did not have a visual indication - only 'beeping' that varied in tone and pitch, so the installation was to be easy: the 'beeper' itself would also be in the rear hatch under the panel. That is what I meant when I said 'easy installation'. [There were no wires to route 'out' of under the hatch panel.] But - as mentioned - I changed course and put the 'inexpensive' sensors on the back of the BMW's number plate. The easy solution was for the beeper to be between the top of the boot and the panel under it. I thought - since I had a convertible which is less 'sound-proofed' than a fixed-head - that it would serve a dual purpose: alert anyone behind and also let me know... well, I couldn't really hear it if there was any other outside noise. So I went to an alarm shop to ask them to route the beeper's wires into the inside of the car. They were kind enough to do it in about 30-45mns at minimal cost, and during the wait I discovered the 'bumper parking sensors' which came with the visual indicator, and which they offered to install at the price I mentioned previously. I thought they would do a cleaner job that I would, and I took them up on the suggestion, which I am (retrospectively) happy I did.
Sorry for the long story. The essential point is that, if installed with beeper only in the RX, the access is real easy: the wires near the bulb (reverse) are easily available and there is room to store the beeper without exiting the inside of the hatch itself.
Let me add that I saw the 'alarm' people installing the bumper sensors and running the wires to the front. I would not have wanted to do it because I did not know where (right/left side, high/low) the wires were best run. They knew and it made for a professional and efficient installation at (what I consider to be) a very reasonable cost.
Good luck!
Old 06-28-10, 02:07 AM
action
Driver

Originally Posted by pauljcl
The access wasn't too bad because 'all' was to be contained under the rear panel: the 'inexpensive' sensors did not have a visual indication - only 'beeping' that varied in tone and pitch, so the installation was to be easy: the 'beeper' itself would also be in the rear hatch under the panel. That is what I meant when I said 'easy installation'. [There were no wires to route 'out' of under the hatch panel.] But - as mentioned - I changed course and put the 'inexpensive' sensors on the back of the BMW's number plate. The easy solution was for the beeper to be between the top of the boot and the panel under it. I thought - since I had a convertible which is less 'sound-proofed' than a fixed-head - that it would serve a dual purpose: alert anyone behind and also let me know... well, I couldn't really hear it if there was any other outside noise. So I went to an alarm shop to ask them to route the beeper's wires into the inside of the car. They were kind enough to do it in about 30-45mns at minimal cost, and during the wait I discovered the 'bumper parking sensors' which came with the visual indicator, and which they offered to install at the price I mentioned previously. I thought they would do a cleaner job that I would, and I took them up on the suggestion, which I am (retrospectively) happy I did.
Sorry for the long story. The essential point is that, if installed with beeper only in the RX, the access is real easy: the wires near the bulb (reverse) are easily available and there is room to store the beeper without exiting the inside of the hatch itself.
Let me add that I saw the 'alarm' people installing the bumper sensors and running the wires to the front. I would not have wanted to do it because I did not know where (right/left side, high/low) the wires were best run. They knew and it made for a professional and efficient installation at (what I consider to be) a very reasonable cost.
Good luck!
thnx for the info. I plan on installing 4 sensors in the bumper, and for the power source, it connects to the reverse light which are located in the hatch. So i have to figure out how to route the wire into the hatch from the main body.