RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Warning lights come on for no reason!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 08:17 AM
bondguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Warning lights come on for no reason!

Hey everyone. Has anyone run into the problem where the instrument warning lights come on for no reason while driving? We have a 2007 RX 350 that we just purchased used (not CPO, which I'm now regretting). All of the warning lights (VSC, Brake, Battery, etc) in the (middle or right, I don't remember now) cluster all of sudden come on. I'm afraid of going to the dealer because I know they won't be able to reproduce the problem since it only happens once and a while.

We've only had the car for 8 days! I hope this isn't a constant problem with my (well, my wife's) Lexus.
Old 06-16-10, 09:11 AM
noz34me
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intermittent electrical issues are sometimes the most difficult and expensive to troubleshoot. If there's not actually a problem, I would recommend waiting to see if it becomes more consistent.

Given you've only owned 8 days, you can try going back to the dealership. If it was a lexus dealership, maybe they'll stand behind it.

In any case, this is a good place to start. Maybe someone else has had this problem and knows the solution.
Old 06-16-10, 09:36 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Search is your friend.

Lots of threads on lights popping up. As recommended though, if the car is still under warranty, take it in.

In my case it was a brake light switch that needed replacement, under warranty.

Welcome and good luck.
Old 06-16-10, 01:05 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lights

My old RX300 use to have the warning lights come on about every other week. It took awhile but I finally figured it out.

When my daughter would put gas in it. She would not tighten the gas cap. And the fuel tank pressure sensor would throw the faults.

My daughter doesnt drive my RX350. So I havent seen it agian. But you might try it.
Old 06-17-10, 11:12 AM
jones1950
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KeysRx300
My old RX300 use to have the warning lights come on about every other week. It took awhile but I finally figured it out.

When my daughter would put gas in it. She would not tighten the gas cap. And the fuel tank pressure sensor would throw the faults.

My daughter doesnt drive my RX350. So I havent seen it agian. But you might try it.
And the cap really does need to be tight. I knew of this issue and still got the lights for it. Fill up with gas, make sure fuel cover is on snug, reset the code and you should be good to go.

Some places will read you out the computer codes for free, so that may be an option if the light keep coming on.

ETA: Also, depending on the number of miles you have (<50K?) and the exact original purchase date (After June 2006?) then you are still under bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 06-17-10, 12:15 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Folks let not confuse the issue .. or better still more explanation is need by OP. If certain lights come up like CEL, VSC then it is due to some error code. If the Tail lamp out or brake light warning then there is a bulb, brake-switch issue. If all the cluster lights up then we have a engine shutdown or some other electrical problem.

Since it is early in purchase, I would go back to the seller and check if they knew the problem and sold you bad goods. If it was AS IS then you are stuck with getting it diagnosed.

Salim
Old 06-17-10, 01:42 PM
mandyfig

As I always recommend, do not sweat it, take it in.
Old 06-17-10, 01:49 PM
bondguy
Driver School Candidate

It was purchased by a friend who is a private dealer from an auction. He said that his mechanic checked it out. Probably did and the lights didn't come on when he saw it... He did purchase a warranty on the vehicle for me (which I'm sure he made a few bucks off of) so I can contact them and have them pay for whatever repairs are needed (minus deductable of course).

The VSC light does come on and that makes me wonder if it is really that gas cap.

Next time I'm buying the CPO Lexus with their warranty. I think I only saved $2k by going through him. Not worth it in my eyes.
Old 06-17-10, 01:53 PM
jones1950
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bondguy
It was purchased by a friend who is a private dealer from an auction. He said that his mechanic checked it out. Probably did and the lights didn't come on when he saw it... He did purchase a warranty on the vehicle for me (which I'm sure he made a few bucks off of) so I can contact them and have them pay for whatever repairs are needed (minus deductable of course).

The VSC light does come on and that makes me wonder if it is really that gas cap.

Next time I'm buying the CPO Lexus with their warranty. I think I only saved $2k by going through him. Not worth it in my eyes.

How many miles? Do you know when the original purchase date was? (probably on the carfax if you have it).

Regardless of how you got the car, it *could* still be under Lexus warranty.
Old 06-17-10, 02:06 PM
968racer
Driver

2 grand is a lot of money to you could use for repairs. I'd be surprised if you went through anywhere close to that for the entire time you own the vehicle. Plus, you have a warranty already.
Old 06-17-10, 02:07 PM
bondguy
Driver School Candidate

It has 56k miles and the purchase date is June 2006 so I don't think I'd make the bumper to bumper warranty.

Wife just told me which lights come on... VSC... ABS... BRAKE... I think those warrant a visit to the dealer or a call to my friend who sold it to me. Probably both.

Last edited by bondguy; 06-17-10 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-17-10, 02:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Yup, you're over the mileage limit for the Lexus warranty

It's been a few years but are these the lights on the right side of the instrument cluster? It happened to me after I had my '04 serviced and drove 36 of the 37 miles home. Scared the heck out of me. It turned out to be an O2 sensor. I had the same problem on my '99 too. Both were covered under extended warranty. Good luck.
Old 06-17-10, 06:04 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you pull the code from the vehicle's computer you might luck out. If it's an emissions problem, it will be covered under the extended federal emissions warranty.
Old 06-17-10, 07:49 PM
mandyfig

It has 56k miles and the purchase date is June 2006 so I don't think I'd make the bumper to bumper warranty.

Wife just told me which lights come on... VSC... ABS... BRAKE... I think those warrant a visit to the dealer or a call to my friend who sold it to me. Probably both.
Exactly what I had. Brake switch.

There is a thread on this brake switch replacement. $25 switch but tricky work.
Old 06-21-10, 12:46 PM
bickleym
Driver School Candidate

I also have a 2007 RX-350 with the VSC Brake and ABS warning lights popping on intermittently. The problem was a faulty brake switch.

Quick Reply: Warning lights come on for no reason!