RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Opportunity to buy 05 RX330 with 7500 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 05:15 PM
CardsLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opportunity to buy 05 RX330 with 7500 miles.

Our company bought an LS430 CPO and GX470 CPO 2 years ago and we've been very happy with them so we have a bit of Lexus experience.

This is a private sale opportunity and the RX330 looks brand new and runs great. It has an extended Lexus Platinum warranty for another 22 months or 67,500 miles. We made an offer over the weekend, but found a few problems that we thought would be covered by the warranty and one that we did not anticipate.

Biggest problem appears to be that it looks as if the oil, and it's not synthetic, was last changed almost 3 years ago. In that 3 years the car was driven only about 1,000 miles. I'm tempted to get a used oil analysis because if we have an engine claim under warranty I assume it would be denied based on the service history.

We, of course, have the condensing headlight problem in both headlights and the dealer said that would not be covered under warranty. A non-retracting luggage cover is not a big deal, but again no warranty coverage according to the dealer. Neither of these are a deal killer.

Owner wants 23,500 which is cheaper and with far fewer miles than any comparable CPO I have seen. Does it make sense to buy a car like this or is this asking for trouble long term?

Thanks for any feedback-CardsLS430

Last edited by CardsLS430; 06-01-10 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-01-10, 05:25 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

On the surface it looks like a good buy. 7,500 mile 2005 RX350, more like too good to be true.

How did you speculate about the oil?
Old 06-01-10, 05:40 PM
CardsLS430
Driver School Candidate

Default Opportunity to buy 05 RX330 with 7500 miles

Originally Posted by mandyfig
On the surface it looks like a good buy. 7,500 mile 2005 RX350, more like too good to be true.

How did you speculate about the oil?
Wish it was speculation. We know the owner's daughter and I called her after I got the service records from Lexus today.

There were 3 oil changes at 2,899 miles, 5,626 miles, and the last one done at 6,333 miles in 2007 according to Lexus records. That last oil change matches the mileage and time frame that the sticker on the windshield would have called for changing the oil again.

The daughter said she's surprised as her Dad was meticulous with his cars and would have had it serviced at Lexus. The condition of the rest of the car bears that theory out, but this concerns me. He had some medical issues and she guesses he figured he never reached the mileage to change the oil again.

My concern is that Lexus would deny an engine warranty claim saying that oil change maintenance is a function of mileage AND time.

Appreciate the reply-CardsLS430
Old 06-01-10, 06:05 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would change the oil now, ask if you can drive it for a couple days, and look for more problems.

Why would Lexus deny the headlights under warranty?

I would also be concerned about various other seals and gaskets due to non-use. Fluids need to circulate to keep rubber seals good and conditioned.

All in all, I think I would spend my money elsewhere as it seems your dealer would not be cooperative for warranty issues and you just can't predict what all that sitting could have done to the vehicle.
Old 06-01-10, 06:29 PM
CardsLS430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
I would change the oil now, ask if you can drive it for a couple days, and look for more problems.

Why would Lexus deny the headlights under warranty?

I would also be concerned about various other seals and gaskets due to non-use. Fluids need to circulate to keep rubber seals good and conditioned.

All in all, I think I would spend my money elsewhere as it seems your dealer would not be cooperative for warranty issues and you just can't predict what all that sitting could have done to the vehicle.
Said headlights and luggage cover are considered trim and are not covered. That was not entirely unexpected as I have seen several reports that the condensation issue was not being covered in all cases.

The dealer has been pretty good about the 2 previous CPOs we bought from them 2 years ago. Of course, they may have some incentive to steer us from this RX and to one of their vehicles too.

Thanks for the reply-CardsLS430
Old 06-01-10, 08:05 PM
mandyfig

I have a fix for the condensation, that's least of your worries. Do a search. The luggage cover replacement is not bad.

Did you but it yet?

If you are afraid that there is damage due to non-oil change for years, maybe you are worrying too much. The engine should be fine.

How are you with the selling price?
Old 06-01-10, 09:00 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try another dealer regarding the headlights or call Lexus USA. They are most certainly not 'trim'.
Old 06-02-10, 05:11 AM
mandyfig

Headlights have a TSB on them if within warranty, they will replace.
Old 06-02-10, 07:25 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a great deal, try $22,900, I would not worry about the oil issue. Headlights should be covered.
Old 06-02-10, 09:55 AM
mandyfig

Did you mention the RX350 was out of the warranty? Because of the 48 months time period?
Old 06-02-10, 12:34 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the biggest issue with a three year oil change interval would be the acid deposits that form in the crankcase. However, Lexus, being a very clean burning engine will probably not have that issue. I own an old Corvette and change oil once a year averaging a tad over 1000 miles on that. The ONLY reason I change the oil is to get rid of any potential acid deposits that this engine most certainly generates.

Long story short, if the engine runs smoothly and there isn't any sign of sludge formation under the oil cap, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and drive this car. Of course, I would change all of the fluids in the car, not just the engine oil.
Old 06-02-10, 01:59 PM
CardsLS430
Driver School Candidate

Have not bought it yet.

23,500.00 was an offer accepted after the owner wanted 24,000.00. It was also before we ran into the non-warranty issues and the oil change problem.

The RX330 has an additional 22 months or 67,500 miles of warranty left on a Lexus Platinum warranty extension.

Talked to Lexus USA this afternoon about all of the above. We're getting a Lexus inspection that is the equivalent of the CPO inspection. Assuming it passes that the warranty would honor an engine claim within the next 22 months. They also said they work on the headlight condensation TSB on a case-by-case basis, but that the inspection is the first step and they would evaluate it then so it is not a firm no yet.

Hadn't thought about other fluids. All we're talking about here is transmission radiator, and brake fluid since we're doing the oil or am I missing something?

We're OK on the price assuming that it passes the inspection and the warranty is not compromised.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 06-02-10, 02:19 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CardsLS430
Have not bought it yet.

23,500.00 was an offer accepted after the owner wanted 24,000.00. It was also before we ran into the non-warranty issues and the oil change problem.

Hadn't thought about other fluids. All we're talking about here is transmission radiator, and brake fluid since we're doing the oil or am I missing something?
I was talking about replacing antifreeze, differential & transmisison fluid, and brake fluid. That way you start out with a low mileage car that should act and look new and you won't have any worries. Brake fluid, for instance, absorbs microscopic amounts of moisture and turns from amber color to dark brown or black. The moisture attacks the steel components in the braking system. The differential/transmission fluids have a change interval of 60000 (?) I am guessing on this one.
Old 06-04-10, 06:12 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

I'm not sure what the blue book is on the car (if that even matters) but 23,500 seems a bit high to me. You can get yourself into a newer car ('08+) for a couple thousand more with a longer warranty timeframe (although miles may vary) and probably similar condition.
Old 06-07-10, 06:37 PM
CardsLS430
Driver School Candidate

Default Opportunity to buy 05 RX330 with 7500 miles

Originally Posted by veleno
I'm not sure what the blue book is on the car (if that even matters) but 23,500 seems a bit high to me. You can get yourself into a newer car ('08+) for a couple thousand more with a longer warranty timeframe (although miles may vary) and probably similar condition.
We decided to pass on this vehicle for various reasons, but price was one of them.

Took the car to the dealership and talked to the service rep about the inspection and what we hoped to accomplish. She said that what Lexus USA told us was not possible. She stated that there was nothing in the inspection that would tell them if the engine was sound. Our hope of establishing a baseline from which the warranty would be honored for a future engine claim if maintenance was done regularly from that point forward was not possible.

Called Lexus USA while at the dealership and got a different rep who basically agreed with the dealer. I asked if there was a future engine claim while still under warranty would Lexus honor the claim given the maintenance history of the vehicle. Lexus USA rep said there was a good likelihood that if the claim could be tied to lack of oil changes that the claim could be denied. Based on that we decided not to do the inspection.

We did get the oil changed and took a sample of the old oil for a used oil analysis. We were hoping to see evidence that the oil had been changed sometime in that 34 month period and we were simply dealing with a lack of documentation. Oil was black, had lots of suspended dirt and silicates, and lack of viscosity for the grade of oil in the vehicle. Engineer said he couldn't say how long but agreed oil had been in the vehicle for quite some time.

Quote for replacement of the headlights was 3,700.00+. Given the lack of commitment from Lexus USA on the replacement or cost sharing this was the death knell and we're looking for another vehicle.

Just too many variables that could go wrong in this deal and the price did not reflect any of them, but I do appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks-CardsLS430

Quick Reply: Opportunity to buy 05 RX330 with 7500 miles.