RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Spark plug change?

Old 05-17-10, 08:21 AM
phlfly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug change?

Anyone DIY it?
I have seen on RX300 forum, but RX330 is different car.
I read it's needed to remove a front tray, where wiper mechanism connected and/or upper intake. I have helped my friend on his 2006 Highlander with out removing upper intake, and I tell, it's possible and a little pain in a... the driver side one, but it's possible.
So Did anyone remove a wiper tray?
Please give an advice for what I have watched out.
I will post a little DIY if I will be able to do so with pictures.

Last edited by phlfly; 05-17-10 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-18-10, 06:31 AM
phlfly
Driver

So from my deep investigation, how to changed far end spark plugs, I found that it's not necessary to remove cowl(wiper) tray, it's only needed to remove upper intake up to throttle valve.
here pic of it, so needs to remove p/n 17129 up to p/n 17860, but p/n 17860 stays on car, because it has cooler lines that is connected to p/n 17111(lower intake manifold itself). Of course needs to changed two gaskets with p/n's 17176 and 17114B.
The question is anyone done it? May be we have toyota mechanics here too.
Any suggestions are welcome!

Old 05-18-10, 08:31 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leave the intakes alone, you shouldnt need to touch them,

i would rather take off the wiper cowl then the intakes
Old 05-18-10, 10:06 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

I agree with kiwi. Air intake is lot more involved and it if you do it right would require replacing many gaskets. [see my post about replacing knock sensors under RX300 diys]. For 300, it is suggested that you take out the

I did take the cowl off for RX300 (cant say how similar or different it is for newer model]

If you make sure you mark the position of the wiper arm.
Remove the plastic clips carefully. I used a narrow socket to push in the sides of the clips, so that they can be pulled out with ease.

Is it necessary to take the cowl off for removing the plugs? Not so for RX300.

Also, the plugs need replacement at 110K miles. I would leave them alone if you have not reached that milage and replace with OEMs.

Take pictures and post for the next weekend warrior.

Salim
Old 05-18-10, 11:08 AM
phlfly
Driver

From part diagram the intake removal is looked very easy. Six bolts on intake and four on throttle body, but then on cowl it's bolted to the strut and also needs to be take a windshield wiper mechanism, I think?
Only problem I see in the intake removal, it will not clear space between engine and cowl tray, it has space, but may be just not enough. What do you think?
I have 100,000 miles on car, even Lexus said it's 120,000, but if the tip breaks, it will kill the engine. After 100,000 it can happened. I have learned nothing can be lifetime.
Old 05-20-10, 09:25 AM
phlfly
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
I agree with kiwi.

I did take the cowl off for RX300 (cant say how similar or different it is for newer model]

If you make sure you mark the position of the wiper arm.
Remove the plastic clips carefully. I used a narrow socket to push in the sides of the clips, so that they can be pulled out with ease.

Is it necessary to take the cowl off for removing the plugs? Not so for RX300.

Take pictures and post for the next weekend warrior.

Salim
Hi,
I have a question for you about removing cowl tray.
So I will remove the wiper arms first (mark a position), then I have undo couple struts bolt for each side, then each side has bolts like 10mm, do i have to undo them too?
Then remove a wiper motor connector, then all cowl plate will lift with wiper mechanism, right?
The struts will not move out of position, is it right?
What clips are you taking about?

thanks
Old 05-22-10, 09:45 PM
phlfly
Driver

I did replaced plugs, but I didn't remove intake. It's possible but I have skinny hands.
I have removed wiper links, cowl plate with wiper mechanism is still attached to it, then small tube on right(pass side) of car, then
Pass side: I have removed pass. side coil, but didn't unplug connector just move out way, then couple different extensions to remove spark plug, that one was easy to compare middle and driver side. Then I have installed pass. side plug, but didn't installed coil, that coil will be put in last after all others are done, because you will need a space for your hands to get a middle one.
Then I removed middle coil, but it will not come out completely out, unless the coil connector would be disconnected from the coil itself.
I replaced spark plug, but didn't installed coil for while until driver side will be completed, it's just for extra space there.
Driver side: is may be most difficult one, but I would say middle one=driver side.
So, I used long 1/4 extension for coil bolt removal, extensions were route behind upper intake. It was for all three plugs. Then I'm removed coil, didn't unplug connector just move out way, then I have used two small 3/8 extensions, but I connected long handle ratchet right thru a big opening, between upper intake and throttle body. Make sure the ratchet step is fine, otherwise it will not work, just because it's not enough space to get a click. (Snap On will do it). After the spark plug is moved, I used a small ratchet(about 3 inches long, Snap on), right thru the opening mentioned before, in order to remove completely out the hole. Of course I use a big magnet on wire, to remove plugs from the holes.
Installation went same way, small ratchet, then long handle ratchet.
Then I installed middle coil, then pass. side coil.
Almost forgot , move a harness out way, that is routed along firewall.
All job took us (was two people) about 4 hour will slow pace, taking breaks and dropping tool into engine bay. I broke only 10mm stud bolt, right near strut bolts, while tight nut down on it. I'm not sure what is t for, but I looked my friend Highlander, and his car don't have any nuts on this stud.
So it's a challenge but it's worth, what Lexus asked for same job, it's $490.

Pic 1: Long Ratchet
Pic 2: Pass side coil moved on side
Pic 3: Magnet helper
Pic 4: General spark plug extensions assembled
Pic 5: Just view from pass side under the upper intake
Attached Thumbnails Spark plug change?-imag0008-1-.jpg   Spark plug change?-imag0041-1-.jpg   Spark plug change?-imag0042-1-.jpg   Spark plug change?-imag0043-1-.jpg   Spark plug change?-imag0015-1-.jpg  

Last edited by phlfly; 05-22-10 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-22-10, 11:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by phlfly
So it's a challenge but it's worth, what Lexus asked for same job, it's $490.
I checked with the local Toyota shop regarding the same today while I was out and about. They are running a special at $139.95, plus shop fees, etc. to replace the plugs and they said they would do an RX330 for the same price as what they would charge for a Highlander V6.
Old 05-23-10, 02:44 AM
salimshah

Hi,
I have a question for you about removing cowl tray.
So I will remove the wiper arms first (mark a position), then I have undo couple struts bolt for each side, then each side has bolts like 10mm, do i have to undo them too?
Then remove a wiper motor connector, then all cowl plate will lift with wiper mechanism, right?
The struts will not move out of position, is it right?
What clips are you taking about?

thanks
Sorry, I did not see our post earlier .. in any case, you have already accomplished the task. My information would have been about RX300. Emptying out the cowl is very intuitive. The clips are the pins that hold the rubber strip on to the cowl edge.To remove them, one has to squeeze the sides, and I just slide a small socket on the stem and simply pull them out.

Salim
Old 05-23-10, 04:23 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I checked with the local Toyota shop regarding the same today while I was out and about. They are running a special at $139.95, plus shop fees, etc. to replace the plugs and they said they would do an RX330 for the same price as what they would charge for a Highlander V6.
SOLD!! I was hoping someone would initiate the Toyota (non Lexus) equivelant. I am nowhere near the recommended mileage on either RX, but when the time comes, I doubt seriously I would go to Lexus. In addition, at a price like that, there really is no need to dive into a job like that, especially for me since I'm not sure I would want to go that far into the engine, based on my limited skills.

My .02

JBL
Old 05-23-10, 06:58 AM
phlfly
Driver

$139 is a very cheap, I will do it not even think about twice. Only spark plug is $60 itself.
Run and do it now, while this offer is available.
Old 05-23-10, 09:18 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
SOLD!! I was hoping someone would initiate the Toyota (non Lexus) equivelant. I am nowhere near the recommended mileage on either RX, but when the time comes, I doubt seriously I would go to Lexus. In addition, at a price like that, there really is no need to dive into a job like that, especially for me since I'm not sure I would want to go that far into the engine, based on my limited skills.

My .02

JBL
Lexus is rebranded Toyota. People who keep going to Lexus for post sale (beyond warranty) work, are the ones who can consistently claim that they are different.

Salim
Old 05-25-10, 08:19 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

When I did a MAF and throttle bodying cleaning, my exact thoughts were "Holy cow, it'll be fun when it's time to change the spark plugs." Now that I see the type of work involved, I'm going to my Toyota dealership. On the bright side, it only have to be done every 110k miles or so.
Old 05-25-10, 09:28 AM
phlfly
Driver

Originally Posted by howdybob22
When I did a MAF and throttle bodying cleaning, my exact thoughts were "Holy cow, it'll be fun when it's time to change the spark plugs." Now that I see the type of work involved, I'm going to my Toyota dealership. On the bright side, it only have to be done every 110k miles or so.
Or Find a trusted independent shop. But get Toyota spark plug only.
Btw, one more recommendation, if some will do this job, be careful with coil secure bolt. it's a cheap aluminum, and can be strip easy, i broke one so have to tapped new thread on it.
Old 05-25-10, 03:19 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Or Find a trusted independent shop. But get Toyota spark plug only.
Btw, one more recommendation, if some will do this job, be careful with coil secure bolt. it's a cheap aluminum, and can be strip easy, i broke one so have to tapped new thread on it.
Believe the plugs used by Toyota are NGK branded.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plug change?