RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

So i got a bunch of LEDs - RX series.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 10:10 PM
satz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sure does require soldering of the new LEDs!

But I found the hardest part was actually removing the old LEDs, as they were crimped and factory soldered. Eventually had to use a drill to break their legs.

Do you remember what size/type of bulb you used for your front and rear cabin lights and map lights?

thank you

S
Old 09-02-11, 02:33 AM
BAUSauto
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We sell SMD LED bulbs, panels and CREE reverse bulbs! let me know if you guys need some i can hook you guys up
Old 09-03-11, 10:50 PM
normi2k5
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by satz
it sure does require soldering of the new LEDs!

But I found the hardest part was actually removing the old LEDs, as they were crimped and factory soldered. Eventually had to use a drill to break their legs.

Do you remember what size/type of bulb you used for your front and rear cabin lights and map lights?

thank you

S
Respect. Rear Cargo/trunk and cabins light bulbs were all 31mm Festoon style bulbs. Map lights are ba9s. I used 16 led 31mm but they were hard to fit in the trunk but nose pliers will do the job. Front cabin was easy. Rear was also a bit hard (tight fit). I'm waiting for 2 more 16 led bulbs and once I get those installed ill take some pics. ALSO HIGHLY RECOMMEND 42 led t10 for the reverse lights. THE BEST MOD OUT OF ALL THE BULBS!!!!
Old 09-04-11, 06:18 PM
satz
Driver

my plan is to get 'warm white' LEDs to replace the interior lights.

For me I think xenon white might be too 'cold' or too intense.

Any tips about the size of SMDs for the courtesy lights? eg how many SMDs on the panel to get a slightly brighter output than stock (but not to look like a shop window!)
Old 09-05-11, 12:14 AM
satz
Driver

01LEXPL

could you please let me know how to see your images again? Particularly the ones of the courtesy lamps? I'm curious whether you used 6SMD or even bigger ones, and how they fit? (Some seem to have the 2 rows of 3 SMDs "inline" with the bulb, and others "across the line" in their layout)

Satz
Old 09-05-11, 03:56 PM
satz
Driver

Hi normi2k5

For the cabin courtesy lights, did you use 31mm festoons with 6SMD or more SMDs?

I'd like the lights to be a little brighter, and whiter than the stock bulbs... but not blindingly so

Old 09-07-11, 10:00 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by satz
01LEXPL

could you please let me know how to see your images again? Particularly the ones of the courtesy lamps? I'm curious whether you used 6SMD or even bigger ones, and how they fit? (Some seem to have the 2 rows of 3 SMDs "inline" with the bulb, and others "across the line" in their layout)

Satz
They're irrelevant at this point since i redid the whole car - again.

I'm running SMD led's everywhere. I have the 12smd Dome panels, the only thing thats the same is the 2smd vanity mirrors in warm white, and the three trunk lights. I changed the plate lights as well.

Using this all over, and soon in headlights [parking light]

And this in the domes:

good luck!
Old 09-07-11, 03:21 PM
satz
Driver

thanks 01LEXPL

Was the 12 SMD panel much brighter than the stock bulbs when used in the dome lights?

I too used the 5 smd T10 bulbs in my parking lights. Don't quite match the colour of the HIDs. It's funny that in some light they look warmer than the HIDs, but in other light they look bluer than the HID!
Old 09-07-11, 04:50 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by normi2k5
High mount stop light
Assembly

Glove box

Step/Courtesy light
Great list. But I am trying to clarify these lights. I do not think I have a light in the glove box. Maybe it's dead.

I want to find out what the lights are in the interior door handles and under the dash. Really hate the yellow...
Old 09-07-11, 04:54 PM
satz
Driver

infinirx

just been there and replaced the orange lights under the dash, in the glovebox and in the centre console.

The orange lights under dash and in the centre console are LEDs mounted in their own custom-made enclosures. I'm sure I've done a writeup, or contributed to an existing one, that describes how to access them. I replaced these LEDs with 3mm white LEDs.

The one in the glovebox requires you to remove the glovebox to acccess. Follow this procedure:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...vebox-led.html

The ones in the handles and door steps are much harder to access apparently, so haven't done them yet.

Satz

Last edited by satz; 09-07-11 at 04:58 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-07-11, 04:58 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ hmmm were they on this forum? I did not find them.
Old 09-07-11, 04:59 PM
satz
Driver

here's the procedure for accessing the glovebox LED

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...vebox-led.html

Satz
Old 09-07-11, 05:05 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ oh boy Lexus.... You guys just had to make it hard for us didn't you!
Old 09-07-11, 10:25 PM
satz
Driver

Getting to the LEDs themselves wasn't too bad. There's a good writeup done by CDULUK on here about doing that in the centre console.

The underdash ones are very easy to access. Perhaps try the driver's side first. You reach up behind where the light is, and gently twist the unit approx 90deg until it pops off. Don't force it.

The most time consuming part was actually getting the old LEDs off, as they're factory soldered and crimped onto the metal tabs inside the little LED holders.

let me know if you need help
cheers

S
Old 09-07-11, 11:44 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I will work on finding a friend that can do it so I don't break anything lol!

Quick Reply: So i got a bunch of LEDs - RX series.