RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Door locking / child safety question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 11:20 AM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door locking / child safety question

Hi all,

I have a 2008 RX350. When the doors are locked I can still open the doors from the inside by just pulling on the door handle. The **** next to the door handle will automatically switch to the open position and door opens

I had two incidents where this became a child safety issue. One time I was at the back seat with my 10 months old daughter waiting for my wife at the supermarket’s parking lot. The car was shut off and locked. I was holding my daughter on my lap playing around. She grabbed the handle and pushed the door open. The car wasn’t moving and I was holding her, not much of a safety issue there. That was the first time I realize I can open the doors without unlocking.

The second incident happened this weekend when I was driving. My four years old nephew insisted on sitting with my daughter but the car already has five people. It was only a few blocks drive so grandma puts him on her lap. During a turn he suddenly grabbed the handle and swung opened the door. Fortunately everyone were safed but this really caused some concerns for me. I know...I should have never put a kid on someone's lap without a proper child seat.

I already pushed the child safety switch to the “ON” position long time ago when I installed the child seat for my daughter. How do I change the locking mechanism so that the doors won't open from the inside until I or the passenger unlock the lock first?

Or, do I just simply push the the little button on the driver's side door panel to disable passenger unlock?

Thanks.

Last edited by daihung; 04-05-10 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-05-10, 12:00 PM
keycard198
Driver School Candidate

I have a RX330--2004, but I think it works all the same with all car vendors. I have a 4 year old, so I have the Child Lock on..Meaning he can't open the door even if the doors are unlocked. The only way to open it , is from the outside (Kind of like the Police Cars--not like I would know..heheh).

KC
Old 04-05-10, 12:15 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by keycard198
I have a RX330--2004, but I think it works all the same with all car vendors. I have a 4 year old, so I have the Child Lock on..Meaning he can't open the door even if the doors are unlocked. The only way to open it , is from the outside (Kind of like the Police Cars--not like I would know..heheh).

KC

Yeah,but he said he already put it on the child lock position ? So why the Hell is it still opening ?
Old 04-05-10, 01:00 PM
phlfly
Driver

How to reprogram, this following situation. After car moves all door went lock position automatically, but when it stopped and key got from ignition, I can open only driver door, by pulling a handle, but all other doors are still locked. I have to manually press unlock bottom on driver door. it's a very inconvenient, that doors would unlocked automatically.
Old 04-05-10, 01:10 PM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
Yeah,but he said he already put it on the child lock position ? So why the Hell is it still opening ?
I put the child lock on the rear driver side door and not the rear passenger side because the child seat is installed on the driver side.

On my previous older car, I can't open the door unless I unlock the door by hitting the unlock button or manually pull the **** to the open position. With the RX I can just pull the handle and the ****, along with the door, will open. If I put the child lock on both side of the doors then it would be very inconvenient.

This situation doesn't happen all the time but there were times I was waiting in the back seat and my daughter was not fastened to her seat. She can easily grab the handle and opens the door.
Old 04-05-10, 01:13 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by phlfly
How to reprogram, this following situation. After car moves all door went lock position automatically, but when it stopped and key got from ignition, I can open only driver door, by pulling a handle, but all other doors are still locked. I have to manually press unlock bottom on driver door. it's a very inconvenient, that doors would unlocked automatically.
look in your manual,their are different settings for what your describing that you can change yourself. But the mystery still remains as to why his child proof locking mechanism isnt doing its job ?
Old 04-05-10, 01:41 PM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

Just spoke to a local lexus dealer. He said that the doors are mechanically designed to be able to open from the inside when the door is locked. It's a convenient design for adults and not for a child. The only way to disable the opening of the doors is to child lock it.

I just like the design on older cars where you HAVE to unlock the door first before it can be opened.
Old 04-05-10, 02:19 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I am pretty sure that these have ben designed to comply to the safety requirements. I am still confused as what the issue was.
Old 04-05-10, 02:24 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Open the rear door(s) and move the switch up to deactivate the "child lock" feature. Then push switch back down into "lock" position, make sure it's pushed completely down. See it works now.
Old 04-05-10, 07:14 PM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I am pretty sure that these have ben designed to comply to the safety requirements. I am still confused as what the issue was.
I might not have explained myself very well. The issue is somehow the locked doors can be opened from the inside by just pulling on the lever/handle, moving or parked. I'm not talking about child lock.
Old 04-06-10, 06:26 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by daihung
I might not have explained myself very well. The issue is somehow the locked doors can be opened from the inside by just pulling on the lever/handle, moving or parked. I'm not talking about child lock.
Even with the child lock engaged right ?
Old 04-06-10, 09:27 AM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

When child lock is engaged, the doors won't open and that works. I have one side of the rear door with the child lock engaged and the other side disabled. On the disabled side, when the doors are locked they can be opened by just pulling on the handle/lever when the car is moving or parked.

Is that what your RX are doing also?
Old 04-06-10, 12:07 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Ooooooh, I miss understood you then...... So your child lock does work ? I thought it was still opening even with the child lock engaged. My bad.
Old 04-06-10, 02:02 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Ooooooh, I miss understood you then...... So your child lock does work ? I thought it was still opening even with the child lock engaged. My bad.
I was under the same impression too.
Old 04-06-10, 05:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The door IS suppose to open even if the door is locked(on newer models, not previous generations). Many newer cars have that, it's supposedly for convenience, but i think it has to be there for some type of safety regulation as well. Correct me if I'm wrong about the safety regulation part.

Quick Reply: Door locking / child safety question