RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Stereo System the WORST

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-10, 10:31 AM
doverrx330
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo System the WORST

Lexus must have found the cheapest speakers on the planet and installed them in the RX. They remind me of the paper cone speakers of the 70s. I listen to music with a lot of pianos and horns (jazz and big band). The system in the RX has to be the worst I ever had in a vehicle. I put alpine and bose in my other vehicles and they sound GREAT! Has anyone upgraded their systems? And if so, what did you use? and post pictures of your speaker location and what types you used.
Old 03-20-10, 04:34 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes, the distortion is horrible. I had an installer put kick panels in the front with Diamond Hex. The clarity was awesome. He dropped JL Audio in the rear because they fit perfectly. I went further than that - amps, subwoofers - but I'd start with the speakers. I didn't touch the stereo itself since I had nav.
Old 03-20-10, 05:06 PM
doverrx330
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
Yes, the distortion is horrible. I had an installer put kick panels in the front with Diamond Hex. The clarity was awesome. He dropped JL Audio in the rear because they fit perfectly. I went further than that - amps, subwoofers - but I'd start with the speakers. I didn't touch the stereo itself since I had nav.
Did you have sound dampering material (dynamat or something) put in the doors before the upgrades? Sorry, I'm not a real audiophile - what did you do to the front? What JL Audio speakers did you put in the rear? Why amps? Was it because of the subwoofers or because you wanted more power in the system?
Old 03-20-10, 06:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

No dampening material was used as far as I know. I can't find the paperwork to know what JL Audio speakers were used. The work was done six years ago. I'm sure there's better stuff out there now. You'd probably be better off testing out different speakers to decide what works for you. My installer started by asking me what I wanted to achieve. I told him clarity plain and simple. That's how I wound up with the Diamond Hex. Regarding the rest, I let the installer run away with his imagination. He was very creative but precise with his work.
Old 03-20-10, 09:03 PM
HimSelf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2004 RX330 with the Mark Levinson system sounds great!! I had Bose systems before in the Infinity and I have to say Lexus is way way better.

here is a good review to back up my story.

http://www.laaudiofile.com/newcar.html
Old 03-20-10, 10:12 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the ML system?
Old 03-20-10, 10:15 PM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know how you can say the Lexus sound system sounds bad. Don't you know the paper for the speaker cones is made using the purest water from the same springs used to make the finest sake? Lexus tell us this, so it must be true. (The seat leather so soft and supple because it's made from unborn unicorn hide).

Seriously, I think the ML system is pretty good. It's not intended for doof-doof music, but for real music it's excellent.
Old 03-21-10, 06:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I agree, ML is pretty good in my 450h. I didn't have it in my 330 so I opted to change the speakers out and add some more stuff to bring it up a few notches. It one of the biggest gripes I had with the 330, the other being the tires.
Old 03-21-10, 07:57 AM
pjm207
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Poisson
I don't know how you can say the Lexus sound system sounds bad. Don't you know the paper for the speaker cones is made using the purest water from the same springs used to make the finest sake? Lexus tell us this, so it must be true. (The seat leather so soft and supple because it's made from unborn unicorn hide).

Seriously, I think the ML system is pretty good. It's not intended for doof-doof music, but for real music it's excellent.
That gave me a chuckle!
Old 03-21-10, 08:15 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the stock system in my 2004 RX and it sounds better than most stock systems. The ML system is much better, but I'm satisfied with the stock system I have. As long as you don't turn it above 40 or so, it sounds clear.

Then again, I'm no music audiophile.
Old 03-22-10, 06:43 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

My 2001 RX 300 stereo sounded much better! I cant hear the people talk on the AM stations with the stereo in this one.
Old 03-22-10, 07:28 AM
968racer
Driver

Ah, my "Premium" Harman Kardon system in my BMW is much worse than the ML in the Lexus. I wish I had the Lexus system in my car.
Old 03-22-10, 11:19 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 968racer
Ah, my "Premium" Harman Kardon system in my BMW is much worse than the ML in the Lexus. I wish I had the Lexus system in my car.
I don't know about the ML system in the Lexus, but the 'normal' sound in the 09RX350 is very distorted and inaccurate. It may be because they seem to have eliminated the subwoofer (that I had on the older Nakamichi RX300) and tried to substitute ersatz bass that is muffled and muddy. I have the HK "Premium" system on my BMW and, for me at least, it is one of the best systems I have heard: balanced, accurate, quite transparent and 'clean'. It will not appeal to those who like exaggerated bass or synthetically boosted instruments, however.
Back to the RX350 - I would welcome someone's experience on a simple (let me repeat: simple) way to improve the sound. I fear, however, that it is a combination of both the 'head' and speakers, and any improvement would be at major cost.
Old 03-23-10, 05:21 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I find the ML system in my RX330 fantastic. Listened to a song I haven't heard in a long time and feel in love with the stereo quality and sound.
Old 03-23-10, 07:50 AM
rocsrx350
Driver School Candidate

Default speakers

i dont care what car u have, unless they r aftermarket speakers, they are all crap

Quick Reply: Stereo System the WORST