RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I Saw the RX330 with my own two eyes

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-02, 07:21 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I Saw the RX330 with my own two eyes

I was invited to serve on a marketing research for a luxury SUV study. After answering hundreds of question done ahead at my home and at the pre-screening, I was led to a closed area with 4 SUVS on the floor, namely: the Lexus RX330, BMW X5, MBenz ML320, and Acura MDX. Surprise, surprise!!! I was thinking of CL all along and how I wish everyone was there with me. This just happened this afternoon and spent a total of 3 hours.

Before I was let in the door, they made sure that I have no camera with me. They also instructed that if I were to talk on the cell phone, that I conduct it outside of the enclosed area. They also asked me again questions that purported to find out if I work for an automotive firm or related industry, or auto magazine, etc.

I have a poorly drawn sketch below to illustrate in general how the next RX would look like. Pardon the fact that certain lines are out of proportion but I’ll try to describe what I saw with words.

The front looks sweeter. It’s a bit more angular but retained the general shape of the current RX. Looking from the side, it is longer and much much sleeker, lines are sweeping and looks more sporty. No question in my mind that this one looks better than our current body, trust me!!!

Getting inside, the instrument panel reminded me of the GS, three big ovals with the instrumentation inside. All I can say, is sleek, sleek, sleek. Optitron red needles on white numerals and black background. Shifting is gate-style on aluminum facia, and there’s lots of wood and aluminum. The middle console is almost reaching the front transmission panel housing (two and a half inches gap). Clever push button in the middle console opens and closes a storage compartment.

It has a center speaker on top of the dash. The model shown has no navigation. Materials used are more luxurious – especially on the dashboard with what seemed to be thick hide leather (although this might be faux for cost control). Controls are where they were before. Gone is the TV-like screen though for monitoring functions. The 3-spoke steering wheel has a few controls in it. On the left spoke are radio controls. On the right spoke, it was taped to hide the buttons. No e-shift. The research firm said that this is still aprototype and sure enough you can see some of the rough edges – like the back of taillight assembly as you can see when the trunk is opened have plenty of black tapes and rough plastic molding with plastic patches painted with black paint to make it uniform.

Outside, the standard wheel is a 6-spoke aluminum that kind of resembles the Toyota Highlander’s but not the exact thing. It’s wrapped on, OH NO, Goodyear Integrity, 235/65-17 . The option, installed on the driver’s side, is a killer. A 5-spoke alloy wrapped in Bridgestone 235/55-18. The wheels are the best looking in the bunch. That holds true for the 17s too. Pretty interesting to note that the Bridgestone didn’t have any model stamped on it except for the brand and size.

Opening the trunk is a pleasant surprise. The opener is where it’s usually located, but this time, it is electronic control. A little pressure is all it needs to open the hatch. Reminds me and I think it works on the same principle as those electronic PLAY or FF switches on home cassette decks. All it needed is your touch and then some light pressure.

There’s more luggage space in the trunk now but not by much.

I almost forgot, the engine is a 230-HP V6, 3.3 litre, coupled to a 5-speed automatic. One new feature is a rain sensing wipers.

The taillight is a mystery to me. It is clear lens throughout. But, the bulbs inside look like standard tungstens – I can even see the filament. I don’t believe this is how it would look like when it gets to the dealers. The shiny reflecting materials inside is designed to look like honeycomb. A bit similar to 01 and 02.

After inspecting the RX, I went through the same process with the rest. Suffice it to say that the three other SUVs have no new body change.

After 2 hours and 15 minutes going through the 4 SUVS, I was shown to another area – this time with only one SUV inside. Guess what, it is the GX470. We were under strict instructions not to touch the vehicle as this one was hand made and as prototype as can be. Opening and closing the doors were made for us. We were allowed to sit inside and inspect the vehicle like the earlier models. What can I say, the GX is very nice inside – even better instrumentation and gadgets. I even saw a small remote control in the middle console – perhaps to control the DVD changer located also in the middle console?

The GX exterior is Sequoia-like. The front grill is typical LS430 but more pronounced. Not too impressed with the exterior styling. Headlights are projector type HID.

Anyway, this is long already and I hope that I did not violate anything by drawing with my pencil the looks of the new RX. As I said earlier, the drawing is not doing justice to the actual design. The sketch is meant to give only a general idea of how it looks like.

The MSRP is $40, 350 for the RX330, $47,XXX for the GX470, $44,300 for the BMW, $40,420 for the ML320, and $35,XXX for the Acura..
Attached Thumbnails I Saw the RX330 with my own two eyes-rx330.jpg  

Last edited by whitels; 06-01-02 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-31-02, 07:46 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky you, good scoop!

Overclocker
Old 05-31-02, 09:28 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, you lucky bastard That kind of thing makes me want to work for Lexus and do all this cool R&D and top secret designs.

I'm still in shock that you were able to see the new RX. It sounds amazing - I don't want it to come out yet, it will put ours to shame I'm hoping the wheels will fit the current gen. RX's - do you think that's a possibility? All the current midsize SUV's that have come out since the current RX have fed off it's success now it's time for the new RX will kick some *** ....uh...again.

Last edited by LexRX; 05-31-02 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-31-02, 09:30 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

My mom wants one lol
Old 06-01-02, 06:15 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexRX
.....( I'm hoping the wheels will fit the current gen. RX's - do you think that's a possibility? .....
That's one of the things I looked at since I like sticking with OEM and it appears that it will By the time my 16s are gone, that's the time to change to the factory 18s.

I also went to a process of "mimic" car buying during the "research" and it involved the 4 SUVs outifitted with different options and pricing. Although the different scenarios , some umpteen combinations of brand/options, were intended to seek how price points affect your SUV preference and what kind of options were installed, it is interesting to note that some of the "possible" options included were "wide moonroof" (something that opens all the way to the rear seats), rear DVD entertainment system, and 3rd row passenger seating. Judging on the room available on the 330, 3rd row seating is a work for the magician. The sloping roofline towards the rear just about obliterated the chances of a headroom for 3rd row seating. maybe...kids' seats.
Old 06-01-02, 10:25 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default AWD

Was anything said about discarding the basically non-functional RX VC in favor of the Sequoia electronic AWD torque management/distribution system?
Old 06-01-02, 02:53 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: AWD

Originally posted by wwest
Was anything said about discarding the basically non-functional RX VC in favor of the Sequoia electronic AWD torque management/distribution system?
Nope, no mention about the VC system being dropped or continued. The model on the floor was an AWD. The spec sheet didn't say "electronic" but let's hope that it is.
Old 06-02-02, 02:56 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

WOW what a lucky bastard...

wish you had a spy camera

Ya, i wanna see how those stock 18's are... if they are sweet, i dont think i need 20s hehe, those will do fine. Man just from reading your description, makes me drool.

i want to make my trunk automaticly open... rain sensors, and the instrument panel sounds sweet also.

the back tho looks like a aztek from your pics... of couse its not going to right??? it also seems like a big hatchback

but anyways good job... i couldn't have drawn it better
Old 06-02-02, 06:33 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Talking With reference to the new RX 330........

.............I am EXTREMELY, EXCESSIVELY HAPPY that in all likelihood, it WILL NOT have a 3rd row seat option which in turn tells me that Lexus was EXTREMELY SENSIBLE to not increase the exterior dimensions of the vehicle by much and keep the RX the COMPACT fun-to-drive vehicle it should always be - and not a seven or eight passenger soccer-mom bus like the rest of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-02, 06:49 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Question Question for whitels??

Did the new 2003 redesigned RX look anything like the picture in the link I've posted below??

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...?threadid=5376
Old 06-03-02, 12:08 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by spinteews

the back tho looks like a aztek from your pics... of couse its not going to right??? it also seems like a big hatchback

but anyways good job... i couldn't have drawn it better
Yeah, with my drawing it looked like an Aztec But the whole time I was on the floor, the Aztec form did not even come to mind. No resemblance at all. The back end shape was nicely executed.
Old 06-03-02, 12:21 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Question for whitels??

Originally posted by vicpai
Did the new 2003 redesigned RX look anything like the picture in the link I've posted below??

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...?threadid=5376
Close but not identical. What I saw have these:

The C-pillar has the _) towards the base, not _\

There's less bulge on the fenders.

At any rate, the general look is unmistakably the 1st gen RX300, especially in the front. If you remember how Lexus artists redesigned the 1st gen LS400, where they emphasized a tiny bit more angular shape in certain areas, that's how I would characterize the frontal. The second gen LS to some looks essentially unchanged but for the trained eye.

The RX back is where it became different from the current gen but in my opinion - if not the same in terms of beauty, it's better. It depends though, the shape of the 300 to me looks more prepared for off-roading than the 330.
Old 06-03-02, 07:02 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Whitels, you did an excellent job of sharing this once in a lifetime experience with all of us! How in the world did you get your name in the hat for this kind of stuff? I have owned 5 Lexus' so far and I have yet to even get an owner's survey from Lexus on any of my cars. Do have a question for you. You mentioned the "trunk" is not that much bigger. Do you remember whether it is about the same size as the Highlander since it is longer than the current RX? I seem to recall reading something about the RX going to the same length as the Highlander in the next update which will translate to mean a bigger "trunk" behind the rear seat.
Old 06-03-02, 07:35 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the 330 have the new Lexus/Toyota "Underbite" front end?

The ES300 and the Camry are noticeable examples of this.
Bumper sticking out, grille slightly recessed, and headlights
swept back over the hood.

Those "spy shots" show some of this look, too.
Old 06-04-02, 08:29 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexusPia
Whitels, you did an excellent job of sharing this once in a lifetime experience with all of us! How in the world did you get your name in the hat for this kind of stuff? I have owned 5 Lexus' so far and I have yet to even get an owner's survey from Lexus on any of my cars. Do have a question for you. You mentioned the "trunk" is not that much bigger. Do you remember whether it is about the same size as the Highlander since it is longer than the current RX? I seem to recall reading something about the RX going to the same length as the Highlander in the next update which will translate to mean a bigger "trunk" behind the rear seat.
Thanks for the compliment. I don't know how my name got picked. To add another straw, I also was picked last year to test drive the then unreleased 02 ES300 and compare it alongside other sedans like the Volvo S60, BMW 3 series, Acura TL-S, MB E320, Lincoln LS, the Lex IS300. It was done in the open tarmac area of the vacant El Toro Marine Base in Irvine. You get to drive all these cars as often as you want in a sea of cones. Straigths and curves and dips and accident avoidance, acceleration, etc.

With regard to the trunk of the 330, yes, the trunk is bigger but "not by much". Guesstimate: extra 10 inches longer.

Quick Reply: I Saw the RX330 with my own two eyes