RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

04 RX 330 Door panel removal ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 05:16 AM
rtpatter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 RX 330 Door panel removal ?

Does anyone have any detailed instuctions on how to remove the drivers side door panel. I'm attempting to fix the door actuator with the piggyback method but can't figure out how to get the door panel off. The directions I've seen on this forum are all for the RX 300 and the door panels are not exactly the same. I don't want to risk permanent damage to the door panel by prying on the wrong part and I'm not sure where the screws are that need removing. Has anyone done the piggyback method on a 04 RX? I came across a website for speaker replacement that includes door panel removal instructions I think but you have to purchase the instructions has anyone ever tried this.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-10, 06:02 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

I would like to know this as well as the passenger side makes a creaking noise while driving if the door is unlocked. There must be something I can tighten up.
Old 07-19-10, 05:21 AM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i found this:

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4411

"Remove internal black plastic surround from rear view mirror area. Dead easy, just lift out towards you.....typical Toyota.

Remove grey plastic plug below that area by pushing in the lug and popping out the whole unit...typically Toyota again.

Remove screw from behind internal door unlocking mechanism and screw from recessed grab handle area. This is also dead easy.

Now the difficult part without breaking anything!

The trim is fixed in by the usual male/female plugs that push straight in that we find on any car around the perimeter of the door.
BUT......at the top underneath are 2 plastic locator lugs that that fit into 2 holes at 90 degrees to the door.
It is not a case of just lifting the trim up and out like conventional door trims because these at 90 degree locators won't allow it.
What has to be done is that the trim has to be pulled way out and pivoted at the top so that the lugs which are about an inch long can come out of the holes and then lift the trim up and clear once free.
These are horrible to remove on the first go and I broke off both lugs. (God knows how they do these on the production line.) Don't be too concerned because the trim will go back on OK without them.
It's up there with one of the most ridiculous designs I have ever come across. "

i need to do the piggy back as well soon. my driver door lock is on and off. If you do it, can you confirm the wiring? if its the blue/yellow & blue/red wire in our cars too? thanks.
Old 07-19-10, 09:44 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Search for side mirror replacement.
Old 07-19-10, 01:35 PM
action
Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Search for side mirror replacement.
care to link the diy? i searched around and closest thing i found was this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...al-mirror.html

no step by step to remove it though.
Old 07-26-10, 11:29 PM
action
Driver

anyone know?
Old 07-27-10, 06:37 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

I just took off a door panel in a range rover the other day (among other cars as well) and they all seem to be of the same design.

Remove any bolts (visible and hidden behind covers).
Carefully remove panel one corner at a time while popping out the tabs from the door. You can use a "V" shape door panel removal tool if you need to, but my hands are just as good.

Sorry it's not very technical but hopefully it's helpful.
Old 07-28-10, 06:51 AM
phlfly
Driver

Originally Posted by rtpatter
Does anyone have any detailed instuctions on how to remove the drivers side door panel. I'm attempting to fix the door actuator with the piggyback method but can't figure out how to get the door panel off. The directions I've seen on this forum are all for the RX 300 and the door panels are not exactly the same. I don't want to risk permanent damage to the door panel by prying on the wrong part and I'm not sure where the screws are that need removing. Has anyone done the piggyback method on a 04 RX? I came across a website for speaker replacement that includes door panel removal instructions I think but you have to purchase the instructions has anyone ever tried this.

Thanks.
I have a good write up by one of our members:

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=1...thkey=CMDIxccM
Old 07-28-10, 09:17 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

This DIY was awesome, who takes credit?
Old 07-28-10, 11:22 AM
action
Driver

Originally Posted by phlfly
I have a good write up by one of our members:

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=1...thkey=CMDIxccM
wow! thats perfect and awesome! thanks. what club is this?
Old 07-28-10, 01:23 PM
phlfly
Driver

It's from one of the members, who was here or is still here I don't really know. I did search then in the some post said - send me email if you need DIY, so I have sent email, then later got email back with this attachment, it worked perfect for me, so I have decided to share with you guys. Enjoy.