RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How to make your car quieter

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 06:44 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I know, good thing I have small subs
Old 07-27-10, 08:06 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Or you can remove the bin near the back seats and drop in a nice custom fiberglass enclosure for the subs. It won't make the car quieter though
Old 08-23-10, 12:23 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can anyone help me find some rubber rolls to buy? My Lowe's did not seem to have any, or they did I nor an associate could find it. I would rather not order it online. Thanks!!!
Old 08-25-10, 02:16 PM
vg1134
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found some old rolls of sound proofing materials for car audio in my gagrage - and decide to take this project on. Well it actually makes a difference. Can't say it's going to make you jump out of your seat with joy-but you can tell the difference.
I went a different way in applying the material. I removed the tool box and the from box were the cargo cover is stored. So I had the whole rear floor paln opened .The material I used was in the coventional roll type-were one side is glued for adhesion. I covered all the area's on the floor that had no factory material applied. even in the corners were the rear bumbers start. and then on the cross bar I did not cover the holes with material since the factory music amp was there and some other computer was back there. what i did there I applied the materail on to the cross bar itself-leaving the opening open. I did however aplied some of the materail inside that inner space were the amp was. sorry for no pics-but the camera batteries were dead. my reasoning on applying the materail to floors is that the sound will travel through the body of the car-vibrations. so the heavy materail would muffle it a bit.
Old 09-11-10, 06:58 AM
dave2K
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recommend product

I have a sports car that was made with almost no soundproofing and I decided to add soundproofing to reduce the noise. I did quite a bit of research on various products, some of which have been mentioned above. I chose to use B-Quiet Ultimate and I'm quite pleased with the results. The product was reasonably priced and was relatively easy to use. The noise reduction is quite noticeable. You can use products that are intended for other purposes but the cost of using an ideal product is pretty small relative general car expenses. I've included a link below. There are product comparisons and how-to pages on the website. And no, I am not affiliated with the company at all, I just want to share my recommendation for a good product. After seeing this post I'm going to use my leftover product on my 04 RX. http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html
If the link doesn't work a quick search will find the site.
Old 05-20-12, 07:03 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111art

So what exactly is that space filled in with? It looks like cotton wool? Isn't this a potential fire risk given that there are electronics in that area?
Old 05-21-12, 06:04 AM
1111art
Driver School Candidate

The fill is the same stuff that's inside pillows. You can purchase it in big bags at any yardage/sewing store, or tear into old pillows. It's also in sleeping bags.
Old 05-21-12, 06:30 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Wonder if this would work better:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...oofinstall.php
Old 05-21-12, 09:22 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I would go for dynamat or similar.....
Old 05-21-12, 03:31 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Can anyone help me find some rubber rolls to buy? My Lowe's did not seem to have any, or they did I nor an associate could find it. I would rather not order it online. Thanks!!!
Ask if they could order this:
http://www.lowes.com/pl_Exercise+Flo...__s?Ntt=rubber
More than enough, don't know if it's what you're looking for though.
Old 05-22-12, 06:48 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

They sell sound proofing on fleabay for a whole lot cheaper....
Old 05-24-12, 05:20 PM
stevenmoua
Driver School Candidate

I did this today to my rear back. I ordered some "fat mat" from eBay and covered the back. I have 2 and a half sheets left and I was going to pull the carpet on the rear passenger floor to cover, but it seemed like a lot of work. I might tackle the front driver and passenger doors tomorrow.
Old 05-24-12, 09:51 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenmoua
I did this today to my rear back. I ordered some "fat mat" from eBay and covered the back. I have 2 and a half sheets left and I was going to pull the carpet on the rear passenger floor to cover, but it seemed like a lot of work. I might tackle the front driver and passenger doors tomorrow.
Pictures of what it looks like?
Old 05-25-12, 06:14 AM
yakitori
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by veleno
Looks like a great place to house my subs! Stereo here I come, I think

As for the mods in this thread, they're interesting. I wonder what else others might come up with.

my suggestion for housing subs under there. two words. Shallow mounts.

Im putting 2 8s under mine right now. I was planning on using dynamat underneath. Dynamat is heavier, but I highly doubt its going to be enough to reduce gas mileage or braking lol. It wouldnt be more than having a passenger.
Old 05-25-12, 08:51 AM
Jumper73
Rookie

In my opinion, front/cabin noise is dampened well with noise reduction and absorption but trunk was the area that was bothering me. Thanks to this post, I now can see the culprit.

From my limited experience with sound deadening, it appears that this area needs both mass for vibration/noise reduction AND filler for absorption. While I do see factory deadening in there (gray material), it could definitely use more for vibration reduction. My plan is to do both by putting down dynamat-type deadener to increase mass (thus reducing vibration) and filling with acoustic foam such as this to absorb:

http://www.soundproofcow.com/Convolu...oam-Panel.html

I'll be tackling this next week, I'll update once done.

Quick Reply: How to make your car quieter