RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 06:44 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ I am impressed! You must have gotten the right person. Good work and congrats!
Old 06-06-11, 09:33 AM
barab85236
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quarter window on RX 330

I too had molding fall off one side. Finally saw in this forum a number to call for the Lexus Corp. Were very helpful. Told them all servicing for my 2005 RX 330 had always been done at dealership. That we've owned 3 of their cars. They did ok to have window and molding replaced at no charge. They set it up with dealer. Service advisor said that I would just be back at some point to have the other side done so they got it ok'd through Lexus to do it then. Went to dealer and had both windows and molding replaced at no charge. Very pleased.
Old 07-21-11, 05:14 PM
Elisa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mit
Just got off the phone with Lexus Corporate. 1800-255-3987. Apparently, Lexus' philosophy is that if you have your Lexus serviced at a dealership routinely every 5K miles, they may consider covering this design flaw. Otherwise, you're on your own. So much for Lexus' so-call service & quality.
The same thing happened to me. I CANNOT believe we have to pay an outrageous amount of money and replace the whole window because they did NOT design the car properly. Needless to say, I expressed my disappointment with Lexus customer care, but I am sure nothing will be done about it. The guy I spoken with repeated several times that they are under no legal obligation to take care of the problem. While he's right, this experience will be something I will remember in the future.
Old 07-21-11, 08:07 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Elisa
The same thing happened to me. I CANNOT believe we have to pay an outrageous amount of money and replace the whole window because they did NOT design the car properly. Needless to say, I expressed my disappointment with Lexus customer care, but I am sure nothing will be done about it. The guy I spoken with repeated several times that they are under no legal obligation to take care of the problem. While he's right, this experience will be something I will remember in the future.
And if they would have only paid a few pennies more to just use a more sturdy two-sided tape to hold the trim piece in place. Just shows how Toyota/Lexus have been cost cutting and yen watching the bottom line instead of dealing with quality issues as they used to do in the past.

While Toyota/Lexus are of better quality than many cars being produced today, I would have to say there has been a definite decline in quality when compared to their quality in the past.
Old 07-28-11, 09:56 AM
rxbunny13
Driver School Candidate

This happened in my 2006 RX400h. It sort of clicks back on but doesn't stay on for very long. My hubby is going to use epoxy to keep it on. I'm not going to the dealer to pay tons of money to have something that little fixed.
Old 07-30-11, 01:37 PM
Sandhopper
Rookie

My toyota dealer fixed mine for free during service... Have I mentioned how much I appricate my Toyota dealer??? LOL
Old 08-04-11, 01:08 PM
xis
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has fallen off too and is nowhere to be found. A shame you need to buy a whole window for a silly $10 piece of molding... Damn shame.
Old 08-04-11, 01:45 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Time to check mine to make sure they are secure.
Old 08-08-11, 08:38 PM
andresatp
Driver School Candidate

Me too! 05 Rx 330.......and they were loose! Going to have to fix it soon before I loose them on this 105 temps here in TX.

Last edited by andresatp; 08-16-11 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-10-11, 10:43 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

To my horror, I found out that this piece has broken off my car. Have no idea when it happened just noticed it 2 days ago. This fell off on the driver's side (passenger side for you US guys). I now have to source a replacement as I am sure Lexus will charge me a fortune for it. Anyone have a part number? Hate that it's fallen off.
Old 09-23-11, 07:32 PM
CarolinaCS
Driver School Candidate

Default Same Problem, Best Answer?

Originally Posted by Carole4794
I am happy to report that Lexus corporation called and stated that they will replace the plastic and complete window assembly at "no charge" as a "Good Will.

I took the car to the dealership that wanted to charge $688 and they replaced the entire assembly.

Thanks to the effort of a very nice letter to Lexus Corporation and I also believe all the comments I found at this forum helped in the decision making at Lexus
Carole,

I really liked your response!! What exactly did your letter say?

Was there an alternative final conclusion other than yours regarding what we should do to replace the pieces? The plastic trim fell off of both of my small-rear windows while driving down the interstate! Within the same year!! My local dealer- who I also purchased the car from, told me that it was result of automatic car wash. Funny thing is, I have never driven it through an auto car wash. THEY DO! Every time I have my oil changed, they drive it through. The guy that I worked with is no longer with the company. Funny timing, right? Thank you in advance, but I would like to try the nice approach (yours) so if you would let me know how to draft the letter, I would greatly appreciate it! Have a great weekend!
Old 09-24-11, 12:30 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus usually do good will for one time and that is it, so pick your battles. I got a entire free A/C condenser plus labor that far exceed $1500 for a Lexus good will. Others I just get the dealership tell them to fix it and most of the time they do since it's still under warranty and I did bring them customers and I know the dealership owners and their family personally which was a plus
Old 01-04-12, 04:42 PM
LexusRX400
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 400h

I own a 2006 RX 400h and the passenger side rear moulding fell off while driving on the freeway. I called Lexus and spoke with the manager from the Service Dept. I explained the situation and he said that this happened to him as well. He called back later and told me they would replace it for free. I believe they will have to order the window also because there is no part number for just the moulding.
Old 01-04-12, 04:48 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusRX400
I own a 2006 RX 400h and the passenger side rear moulding fell off while driving on the freeway. I called Lexus and spoke with the manager from the Service Dept. I explained the situation and he said that this happened to him as well. He called back later and told me they would replace it for free. I believe they will have to order the window also because there is no part number for just the moulding.
Welcome to Club Lexus.

Yes, as you will see in this thread previous, the only way to get the window trim piece from Lexus is to purchase the entire window assembly. One of the complaints many of us have had who have been affected by this problem. If they would just sell the trim piece we would be more than happily paid the money and put the part back on ourselves.
Old 01-04-12, 05:22 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I also tried following this up with Lexus here in Australia, and they had advised that given that I have an 8-year old vehicle they would be unable to provide the part and I would have to purchase the assembly myself. For $400 I may as well just buy the full chrome kit for the car!

Quick Reply: Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330