RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 11:53 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am gonna use it for the holes to act as the missing washers but use the 3M tape for the majority of the piece. Then I am gonna do it again with my other side to make sure it does not fall off like it seems it will.
Old 09-19-10, 09:20 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

SUCCESS!!

This was so simple, but pay attention. I ended up taking the other one off in less than 5 seconds. Yup that's how loose it was. Who knew? lol! I would recommend anyone that has an RX for over 80K to do this cause the design allows for a bit of condensation and water in there and the 3M tape just loses it's hold. high winds while in the highway end up "shaking" it off as the plastic pieces that hold it in are very weak.

Quick report. 3M tape and this for the wholes to help secure the piece to the car lover term. Careful the smell is not healthy and it hardens when mixed in ALLOT less than 5min. More like 3 till it's really difficult to apply. Also CLEAN! the rubber BEFORE you apply the 3M tape

Name:  IMG_1012.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  97.0 KB

Ok here are the pics:
Name:  IMG_1005.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1008.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  42.3 KB

Original side that I had issue with:
Name:  IMG_1027.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  31.4 KB

No before pics but you get the message. These two pieces are not coming off for a long, long time. The glue I used is as hard as plastic and in conjunction with the 3M tape I think I am ok.
Old 09-20-10, 05:32 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
Also CLEAN! the rubber BEFORE you apply the 3M tape
Congrats and thanks for the write up.

What did you use to clean the area before you applied the tape and adhesive?
Old 09-20-10, 11:17 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Soap & water is best I think. Hard to use anything else without adding too much chemical that sits on the rubber between the 3M. I did not go crazy with all of this though.
Old 09-29-10, 02:59 PM
barb85236
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doverrx330
The rear quarter molding fell off my vehicle. Has this happened to anyone? If so, how much did it cost at the dealer and what is the part called?
The part # is 6272048230 window assy quarter. $202 at my dealer. Found site for $116.59. Supposedly you can install it yourself .
Old 10-13-10, 11:32 AM
jallen555
Driver School Candidate

Default Right rear Quarter Molding fell off my '05 RX330

My Right Rear Quarter Molding fell off my RX330. I called the dealer to replace it and they stated that you had to buy the entire window. Does anyone have an easier solution or know where I can get one? This is odd for a Lexus and sounds like it is very common from talking to the dealer.
Old 10-13-10, 11:42 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jallen555
My Right Rear Quarter Molding fell off my RX330. I called the dealer to replace it and they stated that you had to buy the entire window. Does anyone have an easier solution or know where I can get one? This is odd for a Lexus and sounds like it is very common from talking to the dealer.
No other solution unless you want to to search wreck sites. If you read the thread there are links to buy the piece. ALLOT cheaper than going through the dealership. They are gonna charge you install fee's for at the very least 2hrs. Like $200+?

I posted I think a decent DIY. If our thoughtful it's really easy and you might even be able to do the other side yourself without buying the part. Or maybe a handy friend.
Old 11-07-10, 08:02 AM
mit
Driver School Candidate

All this time I thought someone had stolen it from my wife's RX330 (04). Very odd considering Lexus' quality.
Old 11-08-10, 09:35 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I have to check mine again, I do not want this issue. Get it repaired while it is still present.
Old 11-08-10, 01:29 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

If you tap it and is not snug and tight it probably is in the stages of "falling off". The one that was still on for me it was obliviously loose. The adhesives were completely deteriorated and the 3M tape was just on one side. Was so easy to use a spatula and pry it off. Like I said before the tiny plastic washers just pop off from the inside.

Take your time and it will be fine I think. At least it was for me. 10 seconds it was off but mine was at the right point for removal. I do not know about anyone else.
Old 11-08-10, 01:56 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

While driving today doing about 60-65 MPH with head to side winds of probably 50 MPH do the math 110 MPH pressure I heard a loud bang in my left rear roof of vehicle. Instinctively I looked in my rear view mirror thinking my two way radio antennae broke off but found this trim bent back flapping in the wind I pulled over and carefully pried the lower section off hoping not to break it I had success in that cold biting wind. Went to the dealer with it Window Assembly $170 and a glass installer $140. I replied I might try silicone and was told it would work. Was on very snug when I left this morning as I just read this thread earlier today. I tried to remove passenger side but I would have to do damage to something.

Last edited by herbvdh; 11-08-10 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-09-10, 08:13 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Good for you you did not lose the piece. Have heard stories about trying to find replacement trims. NADA.
Old 12-20-10, 08:47 PM
Montimar1
Driver School Candidate

Experienced the same thing on my RX330/06. Called Lexus and dealer and since I was out of warranty NADA. Told it was a one piece unit. Question to them both, "how come window didn't come out if it's a one piece unit?" Tried salvage yards in NY and AZ to no avail, one that did have an RX did not want to remove window nor sell molding.
Called another friend, who contacted his glass installer, he picked up window from dealer, for $120. Charged me $50 to install. Glad I did not try to tackel it myself.
He taped area around window, with an impact hammer and a very thin wide blade spraying water on both sides of the blade got the window out, also sheared 2 of the 3 blue pins that position the window in place. One on top and bottom and one in the back. Pulled the sheared parts out and cleaned the area, resealed and installed the window. Took all of about 45 minutes.
Lexus here in AZ was no help, other than to tell me I was out of warranty.
I, after reading all these threads, filed a complaint with NHTSA and advised them of how many here in this club have had the same problem, with no help from Lexus. Hopefully they will issue a recall, as I feel this can be a safty issue for whomever is travelling behind you when this happens.
Old 12-21-10, 01:35 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Dunno about a safety hazard. I mean slight chance yes. Doubt it will ever be that important for a recall. Inconvenience yes.
Old 12-21-10, 07:44 PM
lebahawk
Driver School Candidate

Default Same Issue

Mine came out loose over a year ago while driving at 50 MPH on the driver side, lucky enough didn't fell off or broke. I used some silicone to glue it back on, and it stayed on since. In my mind this is poorly designed and does not meet Lexus quality standards as its mentioned for a vehicle less than 6 years old. My vehicle is a 2004 and its a JTJ.... so it was made in Japan

Quick Reply: Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330