RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Fuel saving gadgets.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 11:51 AM
HimSelf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel saving gadgets.....

Has anyone tried any of the fuel saving gadgets out there? Also what do you think about these gadgets...do they work?

Here are a few products I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-25-10, 12:03 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HimSelf
Has anyone tried any of the fuel saving gadgets out there? Also what do you think about these gadgets...do they work?

Here are a few products I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...Q5fAccessories
Snake oil!
With the CAFE standards tough to meet for auto manufacturers,don't you think if these items worked,vehicles would have them fom the factory?
Old 01-25-10, 01:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I've had friends back in Mexico try every one of those things and they do zero.
Old 01-26-10, 08:52 AM
HimSelf
Rookie

Is funny reading the feedbacks on these listings. I'm surprised how some sellers can get thousands of feedbacks just for selling these things.
Old 01-26-10, 09:43 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Snake oil formula, works all the time.

Like selling you a solar water heater. And you do not even take a bath every week...

Like what happened to my friend.

They were told they were getting a $4K rebate and had to pay only $4K. And the qualification was "if you have a mortgage, you qualify."

Sad on how people take advantage of our senior citizens!
Old 01-26-10, 11:51 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The sad thing is fuel economy could be so much better without all of the federally mandated environmental requirements. Look back to the 1960's and 70's, engines were making 300-400 horsepower, but they were powering big, heavy boxes on wheels. Those were still getting reasonable miles per gallon. Look at all the technological advances since then.

I mean, our RX 350's put out 270 hp, and only get 20-22 mpg. Take away all the unnecessary emissions add-ons and I bet you are at 30 mpg minimum.
Old 01-26-10, 12:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
The sad thing is fuel economy could be so much better without all of the federally mandated environmental requirements. Look back to the 1960's and 70's, engines were making 300-400 horsepower, but they were powering big, heavy boxes on wheels. Those were still getting reasonable miles per gallon. Look at all the technological advances since then.

I mean, our RX 350's put out 270 hp, and only get 20-22 mpg. Take away all the unnecessary emissions add-ons and I bet you are at 30 mpg minimum.
So true. In addition there are a lot of safety measures that just plain weigh down the vehicles these days. Remember the Geo Metro and Honda CRX and how many more MPG they used to get compared today's hybrids?

We're actually polluting more by the fact that we get such poor MPG.
Old 01-27-10, 05:14 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you folks are underestimating the benefits of emissions related equipment. Probably should go to a large city in a third world country and try to breathe. The air feels very heavy, and I am sure this is a health hazard for the population. Health is more important than MPG. If MPG was that important than people would be buying those tiny compacts and not SUVs.

I look forward to the future, if that may bring up SUVs that deliver better MPG without sacrificing the price and utility.
Old 01-27-10, 05:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kostyan
you folks are underestimating the benefits of emissions related equipment. Probably should go to a large city in a third world country and try to breathe. The air feels very heavy, and I am sure this is a health hazard for the population. Health is more important than MPG. If MPG was that important than people would be buying those tiny compacts and not SUVs.

I look forward to the future, if that may bring up SUVs that deliver better MPG without sacrificing the price and utility.
I did...that was Mexico City. Problem there wasn't the emissions equipment. It was the awful low grade gasoline that was causing a lot of the issues. Instead they claimed for years that it was dirty cars, despite most vehicles after 1991 having catalytic converters. They even had brand new cars failing emissions tests because of that gasoline.

Another issue is that so much money is allocated elsewhere instead of into viable public transportation and road projects that would help the situation.
Old 01-27-10, 08:38 AM
HimSelf
Rookie

Lexmex,

Is interesting you brought up catalytic converters. Here is Canada there are cities where a catalytic converters is not required and I have driven a few cars without them. It seems the car runs fine without the catalytic converters and I was also told that it will give the car more power.

Should I take my catalytic converters out and just run a straight tub to my muffler? That should improve MPG?
Old 01-27-10, 09:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HimSelf
Lexmex,

Is interesting you brought up catalytic converters. Here is Canada there are cities where a catalytic converters is not required and I have driven a few cars without them. It seems the car runs fine without the catalytic converters and I was also told that it will give the car more power.

Should I take my catalytic converters out and just run a straight tub to my muffler? That should improve MPG?
I'm not going to get into the legalities. To each his own on this one as there are many places around the world that are catless localities. I saw this firsthand on a trip to Jamaica.

However, technically speaking I would never go straight pipe (no cats) because of the loss of low end power. About the best set up would be no precats and and something like a slightly larger than stock Magnaflow cat or some other aftermarket cat (there's a bunch of them out there). You do need a bit of backpressure there. The other thing you could do would be to go with wider piping, but no more than about 2.5 inches or so. 3 is nice for forced induction though.

If you had forced induction (nitrous, supercharger or turbocharger), god bless you and straight pipe.

The first edition Toyota Solara 5 speeds actually had no precats, while their automatic brothers did. Both are 1MZFE engines like the first edition RX300 with minor differences such as the throttle body among other things. Both pass easily in California and other emissions states as the precats are just used for when the vehicle isn't fully warmed up. I also have a contention that the placement of the precats can affect the life of the A/F sensors.
Old 02-05-10, 11:46 PM
AirJames
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I'm not going to get into the legalities. To each his own on this one as there are many places around the world that are catless localities. I saw this firsthand on a trip to Jamaica.

However, technically speaking I would never go straight pipe (no cats) because of the loss of low end power. About the best set up would be no precats and and something like a slightly larger than stock Magnaflow cat or some other aftermarket cat (there's a bunch of them out there). You do need a bit of backpressure there. The other thing you could do would be to go with wider piping, but no more than about 2.5 inches or so. 3 is nice for forced induction though.

If you had forced induction (nitrous, supercharger or turbocharger), god bless you and straight pipe.

The first edition Toyota Solara 5 speeds actually had no precats, while their automatic brothers did. Both are 1MZFE engines like the first edition RX300 with minor differences such as the throttle body among other things. Both pass easily in California and other emissions states as the precats are just used for when the vehicle isn't fully warmed up. I also have a contention that the placement of the precats can affect the life of the A/F sensors.
Hi LexMex,

I am new to the intake and exhaust world, heck, the car tuning world. I was wondering if you know which exhaust would be the cheapest and still have a good performance price ratio and not sound loud.
I appreciate any help you can give me. I was looking here because they have the body kit and springs I want to get.
http://www.ilovebodykits.com/categor...e_Exhaust.html
Old 02-06-10, 07:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AirJames
Hi LexMex,

I am new to the intake and exhaust world, heck, the car tuning world. I was wondering if you know which exhaust would be the cheapest and still have a good performance price ratio and not sound loud.
I appreciate any help you can give me. I was looking here because they have the body kit and springs I want to get.
http://www.ilovebodykits.com/categor...e_Exhaust.html
I'll leave the springs/body kit to others, that's a personal shoice.

I can't tell you specifically which exhaust will do what and that also goes to personal choice.

However, I can tell you that an oval direct flow exhaust (either the same size as your current muffler or slightly smaller) will do the job that I think you want. Magnaflow would be the one that comes to mind, but there are less expensive options like APC (I use one of them as my resonator). I would not go for a cylindrical or long bazooka/torpedo muffler. That just doesn't get the right resonance.
Old 02-07-10, 06:59 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
The sad thing is fuel economy could be so much better without all of the federally mandated environmental requirements.
In my opinion this is not a sad thing at all but something we should all be thrilled with.

In 1969, when a PCV valve was the only piece of emissions related equipment, I lived in center city Philadelphia. Every morning, with few exceptions, I would walk outside to the strong pungent aroma of pollution. There was almost always a bluish or pinkish haze in the air, very visible in the morning sun. In addition, if I left the window to my tenth floor apartment open for just a few hours, the white window sill collected a layer of black oily grit. Every year the white window curtains had to be cleaned as they started to turn black from the pollution that came in through the windows. Also, worse, there was no choice but to breath the nasty stuff in the air that caused all this.

Although I no longer live in Philadelphia, I remember that the air pollution related odors, hazes, etc. all gradually diminished over the years. The very significant improvement not only came from improved automotive emissions but also from more stringent requirements on industry.

So, yes, we do now have vehicles with a ton of emission control equipment at the expense of cars costing much more and engimes that are not as powerful as they might otherwise be. However, I firmly believe this is just part of the price society must pay if we do not want to poison ourselves into oblivion. Not everyone is willing to pay this price but I think most people are.
Old 02-07-10, 11:24 PM
AirJames
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I'll leave the springs/body kit to others, that's a personal shoice.

I can't tell you specifically which exhaust will do what and that also goes to personal choice.

However, I can tell you that an oval direct flow exhaust (either the same size as your current muffler or slightly smaller) will do the job that I think you want. Magnaflow would be the one that comes to mind, but there are less expensive options like APC (I use one of them as my resonator). I would not go for a cylindrical or long bazooka/torpedo muffler. That just doesn't get the right resonance.
You lost me at direct flow... Any place you can lead me to look up terms like this so I can do some research? Or better yet, can you do it for me and tell me which one to get please I have no idea what to get to get more horsepower, better deeper/almost no sound and not break the bank and keep it under $300 if possible. There are 101 Magnaflow mufflers for the RX on the site: Magnaflow Mufflers and I'm guessing I need a resonator?

Quick Reply: Fuel saving gadgets.....