RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

XM and the RX

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 04:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default XM and the RX

I never had much interest in XM but our '10 ES came with 3 months free.XM's freebie worked.I purchased an XM package.
I see a satellite button on our '09 RX's stock radio.
Is XM module built into the radio?
Old 01-25-10, 06:02 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XM Radio

My 2007 RX has the SAT button. But you had to buy the XM Receiver. If it has XM built in. You should get the preview on channel 1. If you get the XM preview you have a receiver.

To find the radio number. Just go to channel zero.
Old 01-26-10, 04:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KeysRx300
My 2007 RX has the SAT button. But you had to buy the XM Receiver. If it has XM built in. You should get the preview on channel 1. If you get the XM preview you have a receiver.

To find the radio number. Just go to channel zero.
Yeah,we brought the RX in for the VVT-i Oil hose replacement recall and I asked about XM.
I was told that and the cost would be $650 for the unit and installation.
We can live with FM.
Old 01-26-10, 07:16 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow - $650 was cheaper than I was quoted on our '07 GS which was an extremely simple install - hence why I never asked for a quote on the RX

FWIW, I installed XM myself on the '07 RX and though it was a bit time consuming, it wasn't as difficult as these instructions lead you to believe.

Of course, there are numerour short cuts you can implement... like not removing the entire rear bumper, or the rear seats, etc. All in all, it took about 2.5 hrs. Hardest part, b/c I improvised a bit, was fishing the wires to and bolting down the receiver in the rear storage area. Not sure how different the install would be on an '09 but it might be worth a call to Darrel at Sewell Lexus (a CL sponsor who offers a 10% discount on parts using code CL911M) to find out, if you want it that much.

For both our '07 RX and '07 GS, parts were only $270 ea after discount. I do recall reading somewhere that you cannot have both iPod integration and Sat radio in these vehicles as they conflict [read: use the same head unit port].

Good luck
Old 01-26-10, 07:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Wow - $650 was cheaper than I was quoted on our '07 GS which was an extremely simple install - hence why I never asked for a quote on the RX

FWIW, I installed XM myself on the '07 RX and though it was a bit time consuming, it wasn't as difficult as these instructions lead you to believe.

Of course, there are numerour short cuts you can implement... like not removing the entire rear bumper, or the rear seats, etc. All in all, it took about 2.5 hrs. Hardest part, b/c I improvised a bit, was fishing the wires to and bolting down the receiver in the rear storage area. Not sure how different the install would be on an '09 but it might be worth a call to Darrel at Sewell Lexus (a CL sponsor who offers a 10% discount on parts using code CL911M) to find out, if you want it that much.

For both our '07 RX and '07 GS, parts were only $270 ea after discount. I do recall reading somewhere that you cannot have both iPod integration and Sat radio in these vehicles as they conflict [read: use the same head unit port].

Good luck
Thanks for the info,BurgBoxstr.
You did a nice install.
I'm not going to do any XM install.FM is good enough for the wife.
She's happy with FM.
Old 01-26-10, 08:18 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know if you can use your MP3 player or play Pandora from a cell phone using Bluetooth?
Old 01-27-10, 08:07 PM
LexMster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want XM for youre Rx 330 you need to have it installed. it is quite the installation process i would know i do all of them for our dealership. but it is worth it.
Old 01-28-10, 04:13 AM
ecrane
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexMster
If you want XM for youre Rx 330 you need to have it installed. it is quite the installation process i would know i do all of them for our dealership. but it is worth it.
LexMster,

I'm giving serious thought to having the XM kit installed in my wife's 2007 RX. I've seen the install instructions. You actually have to remove the rear bumper to install an XM kit? That appears what the instructions call for. If we have this done what is there to look out for? We'll have it done at Johnson Lexus in Raleigh.

thanks
Old 01-28-10, 04:36 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XM Install

You can buy the XM or Sirius kit yourself. And install it in about a hour.

The reason the cost is so high on the Lexus Dealer install is they put the antenna all the way to the back. They have to remove alot of stuff to run the wire.

I installed my first XM radio in my RX300. I just ran the antenna wire up the passenger front door and along the dash. Used a piece of thick double stick tape. And mounted it in the middle of the dash. All the way to front. Works fine inside the car.

The rest fits in the lower center console. With the Y cable going to the back of the radio.

The hardest part of the whole job is not dropping the 4 bolts to remove the radio.
Old 01-29-10, 08:14 PM
RsSharKy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Does anyone know if you can use your MP3 player or play Pandora from a cell phone using Bluetooth?
i don't think we can play music through bluetooth
i use tape deck that comes with my XM radio
it sounds better than my IS250's aux input
Old 02-02-10, 02:41 PM
joako
Driver

Here's some information I found. But I would double check the part numbers to be 100% sure.

Dealer usually has insane parts markup if you just walk up to the parts counter and buy retail. Lexus sets list prices and sells parts to dealers below list price. Dealer sells to shops below list price and still makes money. Some dealers have online parts departments that also charge below list price and still make money. Thus any OEM part price for any marque that is above list is a rip off.

P/N......................Description.....................List price
PT54630050CK SATELLITE RADIO AVC- 191.87
861800W031 XM RECEIVER 199.00

So you should be able to get these parts for under $400... probably closer to $320 w/ shipping. The lowest I found was $310.46 here: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214082 So if you are comfortable doing the install yourself that is about half the quoted dealer price and the instructions direct from Lexus are linked to above.

OEM "accessory" modules for just about any marque are generally rather expensive. I recently added Bluetooth to my BMW and that module new lists for $420 + 200 core charge since there is no old module to return (got it on ebay for $150). It could be possible that XM blacklists a reciever? I am not sure, but something to look out for if looking at a used module.
Old 02-02-10, 03:48 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joako
Here's some information I found. But I would double check the part numbers to be 100% sure.

Dealer usually has insane parts markup if you just walk up to the parts counter and buy retail. Lexus sets list prices and sells parts to dealers below list price. Dealer sells to shops below list price and still makes money. Some dealers have online parts departments that also charge below list price and still make money. Thus any OEM part price for any marque that is above list is a rip off.

P/N......................Description.....................List price
PT54630050CK SATELLITE RADIO AVC- 191.87
861800W031 XM RECEIVER 199.00

So you should be able to get these parts for under $400... probably closer to $320 w/ shipping. The lowest I found was $310.46 here: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214082 So if you are comfortable doing the install yourself that is about half the quoted dealer price and the instructions direct from Lexus are linked to above.

OEM "accessory" modules for just about any marque are generally rather expensive. I recently added Bluetooth to my BMW and that module new lists for $420 + 200 core charge since there is no old module to return (got it on ebay for $150). It could be possible that XM blacklists a reciever? I am not sure, but something to look out for if looking at a used module.
If you are looking for those parts, you should try Sewell Lexus a CL sponsor. See my post above as on my '07 RX, I was able to get the entire kit needed to install XM for $270 using the CL discount code CL911M.