RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Repair Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 10:41 AM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Angry Repair Rear Bumper

I was trying to work in a tight garage last night and pushed my 2008 RX back so that I could get at the windshield. I forgot that I had done that and opened my overhead garage door. One of the hinges on the door gouged the bumper leaving two 1/8 inch tracks about 3 inches apart in the middle of the bumper. I'm trying to figure out the best way to "fix" the problem. I'm not interested in having the whole bumper resprayed at this time as there is no other damage. Besides I've seen too many bumper resprays where the color match is not great. Any ideas? I thought that maybe using some pinstriping might look good. Is there a product I should be using to level the surface? Thanks for your help. Bob
Old 01-10-10, 06:23 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are alot of funny bumper stickers
Old 01-10-10, 08:59 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't put any stickers on there. I would like to see a picture of the damage to see if there is any way at all to make it less noticeable until properly repaired.
Old 01-11-10, 06:10 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, if it is not going to be fixed properly it will still look stupid, may as well be stupid and funny
Old 01-11-10, 09:35 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Post a few pics and we will see what we can recommend.
Old 01-11-10, 11:07 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Just leave it and hope that somebody rear ends you slightly
Old 01-11-10, 11:23 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

now that's thinking outside the box. sort of.
Old 01-11-10, 01:28 PM
mandyfig

^^+1

Just like this weekend, ATL was frozen and there were idiots out there who did not know what black ice was, kept on tailing me!

I kept on saying...hit me sheethead, I will have a new set of bumpers and some!!!!!
Old 01-11-10, 01:46 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Gotta love the responses here. In other forums, they would say, ah, it'll buff out
Old 01-11-10, 01:46 PM
Claude7629
Rookie

Originally Posted by Trebbor
I was trying to work in a tight garage last night and pushed my 2008 RX back so that I could get at the windshield. I forgot that I had done that and opened my overhead garage door. One of the hinges on the door gouged the bumper leaving two 1/8 inch tracks about 3 inches apart in the middle of the bumper. I'm trying to figure out the best way to "fix" the problem. I'm not interested in having the whole bumper resprayed at this time as there is no other damage. Besides I've seen too many bumper resprays where the color match is not great. Any ideas? I thought that maybe using some pinstriping might look good. Is there a product I should be using to level the surface? Thanks for your help. Bob
Same thing happened to me. I took it back to my dealership. They contract their body work outside the shop so I guess you could find a good body shop yourself. I got the repair made in one afternoon and $275 later I could not see where the repair was made.
Old 01-11-10, 08:36 PM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for all the comments, tongue-in-cheek or not. I'll try to get hold of a camera this week and post a picture. As I said in my original posting, there are 2 vertical gouges each about 1/8 in wide separated by about 3 inches. The depth of the gouge is about 1/16 in. I thought that I should fill the gouges with bumper repair epoxy just to get rid of the gouges. I could then either use touch-up or possibly pin-striping (chrome or ?) to mitigate the damage. Or I could just take it in for repair. I just hate dealing with body shops as I'm never pleased with the quality of work, no matter how "recommended" the shop is. There's always overspray, crud, paint matching problems, etc. Bob
Old 01-12-10, 03:39 AM
Fivewilds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Trebbor
The rear bumper is easy to take off. Take the bumper to a body shop and have them repair and paint it. However, give them the serial number so they can vindicat it. That way they can tell where the car was painted and can use the correct formula. Many cars have different foumulas for the same color. I am an old 40 year retired body man. This should cut your cost down.
Old 01-12-10, 07:26 PM
968racer
Driver

There are mobile paint vans that can fill and airbrush any imperfections. It's very common to do on very minor rear ending accidents. The color matches perfect an is impossible to tell that anything was done if done properly. I've had it done on my car & have seen it done on one of my coworkers. The cost was about $250 through a dealer. They can be tough to find but Google and you may be able find someone that does this in your area. Otherwise the dealer may be able to arrange to have it done.
Old 01-12-10, 07:39 PM
mandyfig

For $300 I think you can end your misery.

I am the same, when someting like this happens, it eats me alive!
Old 01-13-10, 08:34 AM
968racer
Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
For $300 I think you can end your misery.

I am the same, when something like this happens, it eats me alive!
+2 I lose sleep over stuff like this.

I also would rather have the scratches there than to have pin striping.

Quick Reply: Repair Rear Bumper