RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 07:53 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt

Alrighty ladies and gentlemen, I have been pondering a question, i did do a search but no great results.

I know that I will be due for a timing belt change here pretty soon , I am already at 80k miles so the big question is how much is average for this service both independent and dealer?

How many of you have had this service done? At what mileage interval? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, would you say it can be a DIY project, if so, how many have you done it and how long did it take?

Last edited by Iqraam; 01-04-10 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-04-10, 08:45 AM
Fivewilds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Iqraam
Alrighty ladies and gentlemen, I have been pondering a question, i did do a search but no great results.

I know that I will be due for a timing belt change here pretty soon , I am already at 80k miles so the big question is how much is average for this service both independent and dealer?

How many of you have had this service done? At what mileage interval? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, would you say it can be a DIY project, if so, how many have you done it and how long did it take?
At near 100,000, I had timing belt, water pump, idler pully, plugs, and the navigation upgraded. It was at a lexus dealer for $1100.
Old 01-04-10, 09:39 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

$450 including the tensioner, water pump and timing belt at a shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus (using OEM parts). I had it done at 92K. I have a friend that is a master Toyota tech and he said for the 3.3L V6, you can wait until around 100-110K. Appearances don't always tell the story, but the tech showed me the old belt and it looked to be in good shape.

I also had the transmission fluid exchanged; differential fluid, air filter, serpentine belt and Iridium spark plugs replaced; the total bill was right around $750.

As for DIY, I don't know.
Old 01-04-10, 09:49 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
$450 including the tensioner, water pump and timing belt at a shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus (using OEM parts). I had it done at 92K. I have a friend that is a master Toyota tech and he said for the 3.3L V6, you can wait until around 100-110K. Appearances don't always tell the story, but the tech showed me the old belt and it looked to be in good shape.

I also had the transmission fluid exchanged; differential fluid, air filter, serpentine belt and Iridium spark plugs replaced; the total bill was right around $750.

As for DIY, I don't know.
Yep,the T-belts on these are good for 120k.
Old 01-04-10, 11:24 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this can be a DIY, trouble areas are getting the crank pulley bolt off (air compressor recommended) as well as the crank pulley it self, the manual indicates using a special tool, other than that, it not too bad. i have the portion of the service manual which covers the timing belt
Old 01-04-10, 11:58 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Thanks guys for the replies so I did call my local lexus dealer and they told me $1020 for the timing belt, water pump and spark plugs and another $551 to do all the fluid changes.

I called a buddy of mine who works at a local firestone and after a discount it still came out to about the same difference of about $120.

But its good to hear that i can maybe wait til 100k to do the service. Wish we had a certified tech here on the forum that was in or around sac who does work.
Old 01-04-10, 12:50 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

You can try the Toyota dealeship. Our engines (3.3) are the same as the Highlander V6 option. Let us know what you find out.
Old 01-04-10, 04:50 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

think i mentioned this before , but the toyota dealer refused to work on my RX citing they werent trained, (whatever)

on the upside, the lexus dealer stated that they never routinely change the water pump or pulleys, its just the belt, which i was quoted 425 plus tax (includes parts).
Old 01-04-10, 06:31 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi
think i mentioned this before , but the toyota dealer refused to work on my RX citing they werent trained, (whatever)

on the upside, the lexus dealer stated that they never routinely change the water pump or pulleys, its just the belt, which i was quoted 425 plus tax (includes parts).

If it were my vehicle and if I am paying to replace the timing belt, I would replace the water pump at the same time. It is an extra $250 (at most) in parts, but if the water pump were to fail later, it could be a pretty costly expense.
Old 01-04-10, 08:29 PM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Well i called my local toyota dealer and they said they can do the timing belt, water pump and the rest of the 90k service for 1230 after taxes. I think toyota will my best bet when i go to do this service.
Old 01-05-10, 06:31 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi

I experienced the same sort of thing here in my area. I think its due to the heat they get from Lexus.
Old 01-05-10, 07:22 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cdnewton
If it were my vehicle and if I am paying to replace the timing belt, I would replace the water pump at the same time. It is an extra $250 (at most) in parts, but if the water pump were to fail later, it could be a pretty costly expense.
the lexus guy said that they fail so rarelt that they stopped recommending the water pump replacement, he said that they do check it, and if needed will replace, but its been a long time since they replaced one.
Old 01-05-10, 08:09 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

So i called Toyota again this morning and the service advisor said that only 30-40% of water pumps need replacement at the time the timing belt is done. So he gave me a quote for all the 90k work without the water pump and it came out to $1087.50. So now i am wondering if i should do a new one or not due to the $200 price break.
Old 01-05-10, 08:40 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The other suggestion is to find a Toyota-Lexus shop, not a dealer (they do have the same ASE Certified mechanics as the Lexus dealership) preferably somebody who has been recommended by a friend. They do have the same warranty offered on work done.

That would be your best bet. Will save you at least 25%.
Old 01-05-10, 09:21 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

i will start looking unfortunately i dont have any friends that would do such work or know of anybody here in NorCal.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt