RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Official Thread of RX Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 06:41 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Official Thread of RX Upgrades

Went through the 2nd Gen RX forum and haven't seen an official thread related to modifications that people have done to the RX 330/350. I have finally given into the fact that the RX is going to be car that we will get due to it's practibility, in particular the amount of trunk (or as I call it boot) space that one would need. Of course there will always be the side of me that wants to buy a GS, but from a new starting family perspective (and because of the boot) it would make more sense to have the RX than either a 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen GS.

The modification bug still sits there and gnaws at me from time to time. Of course because of that bug, my mind has delved into the realm of how hot these cars / suvs can look with just the right application.

So please use this thread to show off any RX330 / 350's that have been modified. Sure there will be some pictures of wheels, but let's see if we can get some styling pictures as well. I know that the RX is not really a modder's car but let's just entertain the idea for a while

I'll start off with these 2

Last edited by draco; 11-26-09 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-26-09, 06:51 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Found another one

Old 11-26-09, 06:55 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

And another lip kit

Old 11-28-09, 07:39 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone?? Please share any pictures that you may have.
Old 11-29-09, 07:59 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hi there draco, are you sure you've done your search ? there is already a thread for modding the rx

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...g-your-rx.html
Old 11-30-09, 03:20 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Mowmow I did search and somehow I missed this. I even went through all the pages in the 2nd gen section and still missed it. Must have been on another planet when I posted the thread.

Going to go have a look at it now.

Thanks
Old 11-30-09, 07:01 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Just had a look through it and it seems to more audio than anything else. Nothing show casing the RX in different guises.

So anyone? Put some pictures of modded RX's up (i.e. kits, wheels, etc).
Old 11-30-09, 07:22 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2005 RX330. I have not done any exterior modifications. I found the RX to be under-powered and a glutton on fuel. So I have spend my time and money on upgrading these problems. To this end I have added a Weapon-R intake kit. It has very easy to follow directions. Since I had the intake side done next was the exhaust.

The stock, very restrictive, system was removed. I now have in place a full stainless steel exhaust system. The system has FlowMaster high flow cats, the Lexus cat was reading cat efficiency code, two FlowMaster mufflers and two FlowMaster resonators followed by two chrome tips coming out of the driver and passenger side of the rear bumper.

The only problem encountered was that at the time I had the exhaust replaced the B2S2 sensor died and it had to be replaced.
Old 11-30-09, 09:59 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driverchris,
after installing the intake and exhaust, what type of performance/fuel gains did you see? How much was the intake and exhaust system you purchased/installed? Thanks, Mike
Old 11-30-09, 03:14 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

And do you have any pictures? Pictures would definately be interesting to see.
Old 11-30-09, 04:22 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

The next time I have the oil changed, I'll take some photos of the exhaust system.

In regards, to performance gains I have not had it dyno-ed tested, But I can tell you it feels a lot faster.

In regards to fuel economy I'm getting between 80-100 kms more per tank.

For cost, the cold air kit was $250 plus shipping. The exhaust was $2000
Old 12-01-09, 04:49 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diverchris
The exhaust was $2000
I find this to be on the "expensive side" especially for a Flowmaster, even if it's all stainless. Are both mufflers exiting out the same side? The rear bumper only has one cutout for the muffler, so I'm curious how you did your setup.

I've seen the TRD exhaust (cat back) for a fair price, maybe about $500, but this was for a single muffler (which I believe how all RX's came)

I'll post pictures once my new parts arrive, hopefully by next week.
Old 12-01-09, 04:55 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diverchris
The exhaust was $2000
I find this to be on the "expensive side" especially for a Flowmaster, even if it's all stainless. Are both mufflers exiting out the same side? The rear bumper only has one cutout for the muffler, so I'm curious how you did your setup.

I've seen the TRD exhaust (cat back) for a fair price, maybe about $500, but this was for a single muffler (which I believe how all RX's came)

Old 12-01-09, 11:40 AM
captstp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 Chrome Thundercloud Grille

RX is dirty but here is a pic of the Grille

Also has the clear bra by Aerotect
Old 12-03-09, 07:51 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

The cost is for a complete dual exhaust system from the exhaust manifold back. The system has high-flow cats, 2 Flowmaster mufflers, 2 resonators and two chrome tips. On the driver's side the black plastic was cut for the additional chrome tip. The exhaust had to be routed around the spare tire. Lots of time and SS required for the system, hence the cost

Originally Posted by veleno

Quick Reply: Official Thread of RX Upgrades