RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

08 RX-350 Air Filter Replacement easy or hard?

Old 11-08-09, 10:32 AM
smckenna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 RX-350 Air Filter Replacement easy or hard?

I'm considering replacing the air filter myself on my 08 RX-350.
Looking under the hood, I see the plastic box that it goes in, with the big 4-inch hose attached on the left side. It has two bolts on the right side, and appears to be hinged on the left with two plastic hinges.
Is it as simple as taking off those two bolts and lifting up the right side and hoping that I can get it hinged open enough to slide the filter out the right side? There are several vacuum hoses attached on the left that I really don't want to disturb, and it seems like real-estate is really tight in there where the filter will need to be sliding out. Has anyone tried doing this, and if so, how hard was this job?
Note: I've already searched this forum, but didn't find this specific topic covered for the RX-350, but if anyone knows that it has already been covered, please send me the link.
Old 11-08-09, 10:46 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is an easy DIY job. Loosen the two bolts enough to raise the lid. They don't come all the way out . You should be able to have enough room to switch out the filter without messing with any of the hoses attached to the air box.
Old 01-09-10, 03:06 PM
scout356
Driver School Candidate

I'm surprised that only one reply was posted. I have the same question as smckenna. I bought a filter, raised the hood, carefully looked at the airbox and loosened the 2 right side 10mm nuts but the lid wouldn't budge. Rather than remove hoses and other plumbing I buttoned things up until I knew for sure the procedure. Is it really as easy as adamjeeps describes? Anyone else try it? Thx. 09 350RX
Old 01-10-10, 04:49 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best to remove both bolts (to avoid the problem I had), disconnect the electrical connection (towards the firewall end of the air box) and then pry up the edge.

The filter should come out easily enough and the new one in easy enough. Assemble in reverse order.

It's pretty easy really!
Old 01-10-10, 04:52 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Best to remove both bolts (to avoid the problem I had), disconnect the electrical connection (towards the firewall end of the air box) and then pry up the edge.

The filter should come out easily enough and the new one in easy enough. Assemble in reverse order.

It's pretty easy really!
^^^^1 easy job,takes 12 minutes ! An easier job is the cabin air filter, takes 2 minutes
Old 01-10-10, 04:08 PM
scout356
Driver School Candidate

OK, I just changed filters for the 1st time and add these tips: (1) Buy the OEM filter, because the aftermarket unit I purchased has "squared" ends of the pleated filter element as opposed to the "rounded" OEM, which makes it much more difficult to maneuver the filter in. (2) I had to remove the battery hold down bracket, because the rear hold down threaded rod protruded about 2" up, right next to where the filter slides in, and the rod prevented me from sliding the filter in. So, faster learning curve for the next time.
Old 02-12-10, 09:22 AM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just completed this - some more insight

I just did this, the actual time was about five minutes. But, the task took a half hour. Here's why.

There are to 10mm bolts, one on the front and very visible and the other on the rear, near the firewall. These do not remove, they loosen but remain in their sockets. That's a good thing. You will need a five or six inch extension on your socket to get to the rear one.

After loosening these bolts, pick up the outside end of the enclosure and pull it toward you. This will release the other side which is just a tab. You will be able to pull the old one out and slide the new one in pretty easily. I used a Fram from Wal-Mart that was the right one and it fit well although it looked a bit thicker than the original.

After getting the new one in, slide the tabs back into their slot and push the enclosure down. Tighten the bolts.

Why did this take a half hour? Well, the rear bolt is difficult to get to and I ended up dropping the ratchet extension with the socket down into the engine. There is not enough room in there for a hand and it was not very easy to get it out. So, a word to the weary, BE CAREFUL with your sockets!

Bob
Old 02-12-10, 12:12 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Great reminder!

I do not know how we compare to the 350's. It is pita for us RX330's. There's not much give on the top cover. I have to unplug my MAF to allow me to yank it up and pul and place the new filter. But I am not complaining, it is done once a year maybe.
Old 02-13-10, 06:34 AM
AirJames
Rookie

I went to EconoLube and they were able to do it really quickly. I know this doesn't give you much detail but it seemed like they just unbolted and inserted then in a few minutes my K & N filter was in. They didn't even charge me because it was so easy. My local dealer said to come back during my next maintenance... This was after the incident of my Vtt-i oil hose rupturing and nearly blowing my engine. This really says a lot about my dealer and the extra mile they must've gone through with working on fixing the car. I had to go back a second time to get the oil smell removed and the deisel engine noise(which they said was normal). Anyways, ranting because the subject came up. Back to point, I got my K & N filter for ~$30 when on sale.

Last edited by AirJames; 02-13-10 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-13-10, 07:32 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AirJames
I went to EconoLube and they were able to do it really quickly. I know this doesn't give you much detail but it seemed like they just unbolted and inserted then in a few minutes my K & N filter was in. They didn't even charge me because it was so easy. My local dealer said to come back during my next maintenance... This was after the incident of my Vtt-i oil hose rupturing and nearly blowing my engine. This really says a lot about my dealer and the extra mile they must've gone through with working on fixing the car. I had to go back a second time to get the oil smell removed and the deisel engine noise(which they said was normal). Anyways, ranting because the subject came up. Back to point, I got my K & N filter for ~$30 when on sale.
AirJames,
How's the K&N filter working? Any improvements in performance or gas mileage? I installed one yesterday.
Old 02-14-10, 08:55 AM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My mileage increased about 2 mpg!

My $10.50 Fram air filter from Wal-Mart increased mileage by about two mpg. I was impressed.
Old 02-14-10, 11:12 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Wow that is 10% improvement, if you were doing 20 mpg combined. Almost unbelievable.
Old 02-14-10, 12:19 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the old air filter was really dirty I can believe a 10% increase in mpg.
Old 02-15-10, 11:33 AM
AirJames
Rookie

Originally Posted by redrocks
AirJames,
How's the K&N filter working? Any improvements in performance or gas mileage? I installed one yesterday.
Well, the mileage used to be 21.x mpg but now went down to 20.8. It could be that I'm testing the extra kick I seem to be getting from start. I also am getting the AFS Off dashboard light.
Old 02-15-10, 01:36 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AirJames
Well, the mileage used to be 21.x mpg but now went down to 20.8. It could be that I'm testing the extra kick I seem to be getting from start. I also am getting the AFS Off dashboard light.
Testing extra kick to see if any real impact on acceleration. AFS Off dashboard light usually means the AFS has been deactivated through the switch on dash?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 RX-350 Air Filter Replacement easy or hard?