RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Dealership won't disclose service

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-20, 09:10 PM
Canadianeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dealership won't disclose service

I'm looking to buy a 2004 RX330, but I can't seem to determine if the timing belt has been done on it (no sticker or receipt found yet). I got the carfax and found that it's been into a Lexus dealership a few times exactly at the time and mileage where a timing belt was needed. I called the dealership, but the service guy refused to help me out in any way! He said unless I was both the owner, and came into the dealership in person, they would not provide any info whatsoever. I called a different dealership which was very helpful, but they could not tell me if the timing belt was taken care of since the only record was of it being 'serviced' at that dealership that would not help me out. Both myself and the owner are far enough from the dealership that going there is not a reasonable option. Any suggestions?
Old 01-14-20, 09:38 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadianeh
I'm looking to buy a 2004 RX330, but I can't seem to determine if the timing belt has been done on it (no sticker or receipt found yet). I got the carfax and found that it's been into a Lexus dealership a few times exactly at the time and mileage where a timing belt was needed. I called the dealership, but the service guy refused to help me out in any way! He said unless I was both the owner, and came into the dealership in person, they would not provide any info whatsoever. I called a different dealership which was very helpful, but they could not tell me if the timing belt was taken care of since the only record was of it being 'serviced' at that dealership that would not help me out. Both myself and the owner are far enough from the dealership that going there is not a reasonable option. Any suggestions?
If the t-belt cost would deter you from having this sale, i'd split the cost with the current owner.
Thats if you guys wont have any luck getting help from any dealer.
I'd do the waterpump too and seals.
FWIW, these t-belts are pretty durable and can last very long.
Old 01-14-20, 10:45 PM
Canadianeh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nad1370
If the t-belt cost would deter you from having this sale, i'd split the cost with the current owner.
Thats if you guys wont have any luck getting help from any dealer.
I'd do the waterpump too and seals.
FWIW, these t-belts are pretty durable and can last very long.
It has 114k miles on it. If I can find out if it's been done instead of guessing, it would save me over a grand that I'd rather spend on nearly anything else since I suspect is was replaced at exactly 90k miles a few years ago. The only thing I'll be deterred from is that particularly unhelpful dealership.
Old 01-15-20, 04:44 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Register on Lexusdotcom as an Owner and you can review dealer service work done on this Vehicle, problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
mspearl95 (01-15-20)
Old 01-15-20, 07:10 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 401 Posts

Like mentioned above, If the present owner has no idea (surprised he/she has no idea) either split the cost or deduct it from the cost to begin with. There are t/b kits out there as well as shops that should be able to do it way under a $1000. as you mentioned. Hows the rest of the vehicle checkout?
Old 01-15-20, 12:43 PM
Canadianeh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Register on Lexusdotcom as an Owner and you can review dealer service work done on this Vehicle, problem solved.
I did try that, but there's no records available. I did some searching online and it seems like the site caters to US vehicles (I'm in Canada)

Originally Posted by Felixtheca
Like mentioned above, If the present owner has no idea (surprised he/she has no idea) either split the cost or deduct it from the cost to begin with. There are t/b kits out there as well as shops that should be able to do it way under a $1000. as you mentioned. Hows the rest of the vehicle checkout?
The rest of the vehicle checks out very well. That's exactly what I'll do if the belt needs to be done, but right now I'm trying to find out if the vehicle actually needs it. I don't see the sense in wasting a good chunk of cash doing the timing belt 60k miles ahead of when it is due, and I'm very frustrated that all the dealership has to do is take a minute on their computer and tell me if they've done it.
Old 01-15-20, 05:26 PM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I will share a little of my story. A couple years ago I sold my 02 Tacoma and decided to start using my wifes Gx470 as my road trip and tow rig, we purchased her a 2004 RX330 with 82000 miles. Knowing we needed to do a 90k service soon. One week before our appointment for the timing belt the temp dipped to 7 degrees F. My wife was driving to work and one of the idler pulleys for the timing belt froze and shreaded the timing belt.
I dont think much of just changing a belt. While the shop is in there spend a few more bucks and have it all replaced. So I would say even if it was done. Expect to spend some money to take good care of the car.
Just another FYI the Lexus dealer wanted 2800 bucks for the 90k service. Now that also includes some really expensive air cleaner and cabin air cleaner that you can do yourself. I had a Toyota dealership do the repairs and I had them replace about anything they touched including radiator, houses, etc. Plus trany service and all the diffs services for less.
My GX is headed in this weekend for a timing belt/waterpump and I already have the Toyota dealer ready to replace every moving part for about 1500. My cars will both be good for the next 9 years or 90k miles.
Good luck and use the needed maintenance as a tool to get a better price.
The following 2 users liked this post by mntntrls71:
Felix (01-15-20), Margate330 (01-15-20)
Old 01-15-20, 06:32 PM
Felix
Pole Position

The rest of the vehicle checks out very well. That's exactly what I'll do if the belt needs to be done, but right now I'm trying to find out if the vehicle actually needs it. I don't see the sense in wasting a good chunk of cash doing the timing belt 60k miles ahead of when it is due, and I'm very frustrated that all the dealership has to do is take a minute on their computer and tell me if they've done it.
I'd say to the owner to deduct the cost if they have no idea when the t/b-w/p was done. IDK what the owner is asking, but I throw that in. When I was looking for a gen 2 rx, I looked at the 330's as well & figured that I'd be throwing a t/b kit at it ever so many yrs. One dealer had a few 330's & 350's. One of the 350's was easy to get out which I drove 1st, after that, I started looking at 350's. I would have bought one loaded 330, but the body was dinged & scuffed up when I looked at it. IDK how long you've been looking, but I've been looking for a couple months for a clean kinda low mileage one whether it was a 330 or a 350. Good luck, hope you get a good deal.
Old 01-19-20, 10:00 PM
Canadianeh
Driver School Candidate

I ended up posting a review on the dealership FB page, and they quickly ended up offering to help me out with the vehicle history. To make a long story short, I ended up picking it up and it's sitting at the shop right now to get a new belt and water pump tomorrow
The following 2 users liked this post by Canadianeh:
DavidTB (01-22-20), Margate330 (01-20-20)
Old 01-20-20, 07:26 AM
Felix
Pole Position

I ended up posting a review on the dealership FB page, and they quickly ended up offering to help me out with the vehicle history. To make a long story short, I ended up picking it up and it's sitting at the shop right now to get a new belt and water pump tomorrow
Thats great....How many miles? & what color did you end up with?
Old 01-20-20, 05:00 PM
Canadianeh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Felixtheca
Thats great....How many miles? & what color did you end up with?
I ended up with a blue 04 with 115mi, and it has the performance package. It's at the shop right now getting the timing belt done, and whatever else it may need. It's been very well cared for so far, and I'm expecting to get a lot of good miles out of it