RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

BYD S6: shameless chinese clone of RX350 patented in europe !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 12:27 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default BYD S6: shameless chinese clone of RX350 patented in europe !!!

lol @ those who think pirated DVD's are a problem. they are copying cars now!!

moreover they got a patent on this design in europe! haha. love them!

i see a law suit coming ..

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/03...-lexus-rx.html

Old 09-15-09, 12:43 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It doesn't bother me one Iota. Now, if they had copied the RX300 I'd be upset (or maybe consider buying one)
Old 09-15-09, 01:02 PM
bagsbie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That same company, BYD, copied a Mercedes car (can't recall what model exactly) as well. Benz went after them and, from what I recall, successfully made them pull their knock-off car from being sold in Europe.
Old 09-15-09, 01:44 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i wonder how the cars are quality wise. i've read somewhere that the reason why they copied this particular RX is that Toyota sold them manufacturing equipment from discontinued RX line that they then used to make this clone.. so they did not have to do all of the development and testing.
Old 09-15-09, 02:03 PM
bagsbie
Driver

I never drove a single chinese made car but I heard from friends in Eastern Europe that the quality is horrible or better yet, there's no quality!
Old 09-15-09, 04:48 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Actually. several Chinese and Korean car companies bough old sheet metal stampers from Japanese car companies back in the 80's to build cheap, previous generation cars for their local markets. Similarly, former eastern bloc countries bough Fiat body stampers for their cars (early Lada's). This is nothing new. Now, if they are knocking off current models, that's something different.
Old 09-15-09, 04:58 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

How fugly! Will they be selling them at WalMart?
Old 09-15-09, 08:32 PM
LEP XEP
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Both the front and the back look too cheap to me. The side view look the same.

I don't think any quality there.
Old 09-16-09, 08:14 AM
RsSharKy
Rookie

are those the rx400h wheels?? can't they come up w/ their own idea at all?

pirated iPhone.... it's smaller than my iPhone but the box is bigger than my box..

Last edited by RsSharKy; 09-16-09 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-16-09, 08:58 AM
968racer
Driver

The Chinese & Koreans can only copy someone else's designs. How pathetic.
Old 09-16-09, 01:17 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's actually pretty cool instead of just copying the technology, they decide to copy the whole car which makes more sense come to think of it. I wouldn't mine buying one if it's fraction of the cost of an identical RX

968racer, did you not copy homework, test, ideas, before or wear the same
outfit, shoes, sneakers socks, hat as the other guy cos it looks cool ?

Last edited by mowmow; 09-16-09 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 07:09 AM
968racer
Driver

Originally Posted by mowmow
I think it's actually pretty cool instead of just copying the technology, they decide to copy the whole car which makes more sense come to think of it. I wouldn't mine buying one if it's fraction of the cost of an identical RX

968racer, did you not copy homework, test, ideas, before or wear the same
outfit, shoes, sneakers socks, hat as the other guy cos it looks cool ?
Ha. No way, I'm a trend setter.

It may look similar to the RX but I bet the quality is not there nor will it drive like a Lexus. A car's appearance is toward the bottom of the list when I buy a car. Over quality, fit & finish, reliability, performance (the RX is the wifes car so performance wasn't really a factor for me), enjoyment to drive & safety rank higher than appearance.
Old 09-17-09, 01:53 PM
HimSelf
Rookie

How pathetic!!!!! I wonder if the very people that are driving a Toyota / Lexus on this forum that is criticizing China for copying others designs realize that the Japanese did the same thing 30 years ago when they first started making cars for the North American market.

Who knows maybe in 30 years you will be sitting in a Chinese made car (by the way all major auto makers have factories in China now) and belongs to a online forum such as this one.

30 years ago did any American / Canadian would of believed that some Japanese car would cost more, perform better, more reliable, and more prestigious then a US or even European car if you told them?

Lets keep a open mind
Old 09-17-09, 02:25 PM
hesham1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im gonna agree with racer on this one... as a frequent traveller to mainland china and hong kong, i can say with confidence that the chinese do not build quality products. dont get me wrong... they are PERFECTLY CAPABLE of doing so. However, its not their business model, so to speak. They crank out cheap knock-offs and clones because there is a huge market for them. Supply and demand my friends.

Japan used to be known for poor quality in their electronics and vehicles until they actually decided to change their approach to their manufacturing practices a few decades ago. Will China follow? I dont know, its doubtful, because turnover on consumer goods these days is so high that quality is losing its competitive advantage. Honestly, many of us say we want to hold on to our RX's for as long as possible, but the reality is most of us will not, we'll upgrade to something else within 3-4 years, so like i said, quality is not an issue for most consumers.
Old 09-18-09, 02:59 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

My bother is doing a lot of business in china, and he says that as soon as a someone there gets some money, they dump their chinese car and get a foreign one. They shun the japanese ones, but like american and german cars. Only the lowest rung of the afluent drive chinese cars, as they only last around 2 years before collapsing in a heap.

Interesting fact, the afluent drive the same cars as we do here, but the engines are all down-sized to around 1/2 our size. They have to pay a very stiff import tax if they get the car with a full sized engine.

Quick Reply: BYD S6: shameless chinese clone of RX350 patented in europe !!!