RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 / RX350 / RX400 : During your ownership what broke down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-11, 07:07 AM
lebahawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8065
With over 90,000 miles you should have also replace your timing belt. I do believe Toyota will do this and charge less. Or you can go to an independent mechanic that should be able to perform both the timing belt and water pump for a lot less than the Dealership.
I know, this is what I am planning on doing I asked the steelers not to do it for now since its not leaking pretty bad. but in the near future I am planning on changing both the timing belt and the water pump just like you mentioned. I am searching for either a good local Indy or perhaps Toyota to do it. I will find out how much Toyota charges.

Ok some updates. Toyota want it to charge 550 for water pump and i asked them to change the timing belt along the way since they have to remove it anyway so they charges something like $110 for the belts. So I end up taking it to Toyota

Last edited by lebahawk; 01-22-11 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Added more comments
Old 01-25-11, 11:29 AM
T-Rex
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rcy
2006 RX400h. 130000 KILOMETRES. Bought used at 110000 Bad right rear wheel bearing when I bought it, replaced by dealer (under warranty anyway).

Nothing else major except...........a leaking inverter at about 120000KM. This is a $7000 part. Replaced under the hybrid warranty, luckily.

Steering rack replaced under an internal Lexus 'service campaign'.

12 volt battery replaced recently, but this is normal wear and tear in my mind. Five years is decent life for the 12 volt.

Wife has an '05, and we just completed the 60k service @ dealer when the odometer showed 67k or so. Aside from common maintenance items and other smaller misc. things, we had to change out the steering rack @ $1200. Our local dealer never mentioned any internal Lexus "service campaign"? Could this be a Canda thing, or have others had issue with steering rack? It was suppose to be a small leak, but in order to fix it, they had to replace the whole rack. Fortunately, we have the extended warranty where it paid for most of it. Aside from that, it's been a good vehicle.
Old 01-28-11, 08:26 PM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

2005 Canada assy, RX 330 over 100K mileage & orig owner, I'm having condensation on driver's side headlight and looks like HID bulb is dying - flickering. I haven't inquired about it to the dealer, will I get any assist from Lexus Dealer without cost?

Thank you in advance
Old 01-29-11, 03:24 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by frankeysd
2005 Canada assy, RX 330 over 100K mileage & orig owner, I'm having condensation on driver's side headlight and looks like HID bulb is dying - flickering. I haven't inquired about it to the dealer, will I get any assist from Lexus Dealer without cost?

Thank you in advance
You will more than likely get nothing from the dealer as it is long out of warranty. Was hard enough to get the dealers to do anything when it was under warranty.
Old 01-31-11, 12:53 PM
RMB350
Driver

2007 RX350

30,000 miles. Brakes, tires, and today a battery have been changed.

No issues with exception of the CD quits playing every now and then. Took the cd's out and use a cassette adapter and an iPod. Problem solved.
Old 02-08-11, 05:53 PM
goofyboy
Driver School Candidate

2006 RX 400h 25K miles (straightly follow Maintenance Schedule)
Steering Wheel starts shaking left and right. Both Front tires got warped and the rotors got groved.
Replaced Front Tires & Front Brake Pads. Front Rotors got resurfaced along with front wheels alignment.
Old 02-09-11, 03:16 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have nearly 112,00 miles on our 04 RX330. Only one break down or broken part, after all those miles. The air suspension leveling switch got broken. The dealer was even surprised it got broke, considering it is in a protective box. Have to do all the normal over 90,000 maintenance stuff. Since my wife drives it on the freeway mostly for work. Our front brakes just got changed at about 105,000 miles and there was still like just under 25% of brake pad left on the front and there is nearly 65% left on the rear pads.
Old 08-15-11, 04:43 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You folks make me feel like my Canadian-made 2004 RX330 is a lemon.

Bought 3.5 years old from dealer with about 75K km. Now has about 178K km.

- 2 rear wheel bearings
- 1 air suspension assembly replaced
- 1 air sensor replaced
- just replaced two front rotors
- cracks in both headlights (no water so far and tempted to use super glue to slow down advance of the cracks)
- replaced battery - DIY

Plus regular maintenance which I usually follow including timing belt which has been replaced once.

MDW doesn't want to sell or trade her dream car. As long as it's safe and doesn't leave us stranded on those long drives, what's another $3,000 in maintenance a year. That's just the equivalent of about five months of a lease. Maybe she's right (again).
Old 08-15-11, 07:04 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lex_rx
You folks make me feel like my Canadian-made 2004 RX330 is a lemon.

Bought 3.5 years old from dealer with about 75K km. Now has about 178K km.

- 2 rear wheel bearings
- 1 air suspension assembly replaced
- 1 air sensor replaced
- just replaced two front rotors
- cracks in both headlights (no water so far and tempted to use super glue to slow down advance of the cracks)
- replaced battery - DIY

Plus regular maintenance which I usually follow including timing belt which has been replaced once.

MDW doesn't want to sell or trade her dream car. As long as it's safe and doesn't leave us stranded on those long drives, what's another $3,000 in maintenance a year. That's just the equivalent of about five months of a lease. Maybe she's right (again).

You are spending $3000 on maintenance a year? Do not think I spend $3K on gas and maintenance combine each year.

Having to replace the battery is normal in a vehicle of that age. Were you replacing the original battery?

Having to replace the two front rotors is normal in a vehicle of that age. I will probably have to do the same on mine (2004 RX330 FWD) at the next brake change around 90K miles or so and I have yet to have the rotors turned. Just getting to a point that I have worn enough material away to require the change be made.

The wheel bearings seem to be a weakness of the AWD models.

Have seen few models with air suspensions that did not have problems somewhere along the life of the vehicle. Mercedes and Peugeot included.

Not sure why your headlights cracked. Mine leak -- so that is a push.

You mentioned you replaced the timing belt once. Did you replace the water pump? What about the drive belt? If you did not replace the water pump you will need to do so next time around.

You have around 110K miles approximately on our RX. Think you have many of the large ticket items already addressed and should be good to go for some time to come. Do you basic maintenance and perhaps get that transmission fluid replaced more often.
Old 08-15-11, 07:32 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
You are spending $3000 on maintenance a year? Do not think I spend $3K on gas and maintenance combine each year.

Having to replace the battery is normal in a vehicle of that age. Were you replacing the original battery?

Having to replace the two front rotors is normal in a vehicle of that age. I will probably have to do the same on mine (2004 RX330 FWD) at the next brake change around 90K miles or so and I have yet to have the rotors turned. Just getting to a point that I have worn enough material away to require the change be made.

The wheel bearings seem to be a weakness of the AWD models.

Have seen few models with air suspensions that did not have problems somewhere along the life of the vehicle. Mercedes and Peugeot included.

Not sure why your headlights cracked. Mine leak -- so that is a push.

You mentioned you replaced the timing belt once. Did you replace the water pump? What about the drive belt? If you did not replace the water pump you will need to do so next time around.

You have around 110K miles approximately on our RX. Think you have many of the large ticket items already addressed and should be good to go for some time to come. Do you basic maintenance and perhaps get that transmission fluid replaced more often.
which RX's have air susp?
Old 08-15-11, 08:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by airahcaz
which RX's have air susp?
Those sold with the Performance Package (Sports Package in Canada).

Take a look at the brochure archive:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-archive.html
Old 08-15-11, 09:10 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
xxxxxxxxx
- The $3k is an example of a bad year like this year;
- Battery replaced was original;
- water pump are normally designed for the life of the car (e.g. over 10 years) as long fluids - oil, coolant are changed regularly which I do;
- other fluids are replaced on schedule. As many would say, these maintenance items are the cheapest "repairs" that one can make;
- 99.9% of my maintenance is lexus dealer performed. Toyota dealers in Ottawa wouldn't touch a lexus. I usually ask around before repairs jobs like the rotor replacement but a CAA-approved shop was just about $150 cheaper. After pricing in the "free" car wash and lexus loaner, I'm not saving much. Sometimes, other shops are actually more expensive for certain repairs like timing belt or spark plug replacements.
Old 08-16-11, 09:27 AM
OttawaLex
Driver School Candidate

I have a 04 RX330 with performance package. 155 Km or 96K Miles.

I have had it under two years, and have had to replace the following:

1 - Rear wheel hub assembly (550$ for the part at the dealer)
2 - Front driver side ballast (Aftermarket part for 70$)

Currently brakes are vibrating, and I am still contemplating on where to go for my next service. I have a few things to get looked at:
1 - Brakes
2 - Steering has become hard
3 - I think I am due for timing belt/water pump...

I am still on the fence if I should delay the timing belt/water pump, I still see arguments for both sides. But based on those three issues, IF i get them done at the dealer here in Ottawa, I'm guessing I will come out with a very hefty bill!
Old 08-16-11, 04:59 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OttawaLex
I am still on the fence if I should delay the timing belt/water pump, I still see arguments for both sides. But based on those three issues, IF i get them done at the dealer here in Ottawa, I'm guessing I will come out with a very hefty bill!
The Toyota shops in this area of FL charge between $239 and $289 for a timing belt change on a 6 cylinder Highlander which is the same engine as the RX330.
Old 08-16-11, 08:29 PM
satz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had my Oz delivered, Japan built 2007 RX 350 for about 8 months.

Already had: front bearing replaced (at 58,000km)
some rubber seals on driver's window replaced to try to reduce wind noise
rear tailgate lamp replaced
front brake pads (at 60,000km)

Have also bought the extended warranty for an additional 3 years.

Quick Reply: RX330 / RX350 / RX400 : During your ownership what broke down?