RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

iPod input via tape deck

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 07:05 AM
paulsmits1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod input via tape deck

I have a 2008 RX350 with Navigation but the premium sound system. I wondered whether it is possible to attach my iPod output lead to the back of the tape deck in order to have its sound play via the car stereo? Has anyone tried to do this?
Old 09-01-09, 07:09 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I have cassette adaptor for my ipod touch in my SC. Sound quality is superb. I got those ebay ones for $4 shipped.
Old 09-05-09, 04:52 AM
paulsmits1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for this. I am actually trying to ascertain whether you can 'hard wire' it from the back of the tape deck. Has anyone been able to do this?
Old 09-05-09, 06:29 AM
Dave_S.
Rookie

Sorry still not answering your question, but I occasionally use a cassette adapter and it sounds ok as long as you don't turn the volume all the way up on the ipod. I also use CDs with MP3 files on them and think it sounds a little better. With 150 songs per disc and 6 discs you can get a fair amount of music in there.
Old 09-06-09, 05:46 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i tried MP3's burned to a disc when i first got my RX, and it didnt work out, any tips??
Old 09-06-09, 06:45 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about hard wiring it to the back, but there are plug and play adapters that you can attach to the back. ie detach the original plug in the back, attach the adapter via it's plug, connect the original lexus plug to the other end of the plug and play harness. Made by Vais. Option to consider. Like others have posted, I just use the cassete adapter. Plays clear enough for my needs. Much better than FM transmitters we tried.
Old 09-07-09, 02:22 AM
hesham1
Driver

Originally Posted by ecount00
I don't know about hard wiring it to the back, but there are plug and play adapters that you can attach to the back. ie detach the original plug in the back, attach the adapter via it's plug, connect the original lexus plug to the other end of the plug and play harness. Made by Vais. Option to consider. Like others have posted, I just use the cassete adapter. Plays clear enough for my needs. Much better than FM transmitters we tried.
ecount i noticed on your profile you have sat radio and the vais ipod connection... I thought you could only install one or the other but not both at the same time. did you have to do anything special to make this work?
Old 09-07-09, 06:28 AM
Dave_S.
Rookie

Originally Posted by kiwi
i tried MP3's burned to a disc when i first got my RX, and it didnt work out, any tips??
I burned mine right out of playlists I created on i-Tunes. They worked fine in my '07 RX350
Old 09-07-09, 07:28 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

That is a good question. Assuming the audio interface between the two is analog, you could just splice in and it should work. You would probably need to have a "dummy" cassette tape running in the tape player for the head to "think" there was a tape in it that needed to be played.
Old 09-08-09, 12:36 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hesham1
ecount i noticed on your profile you have sat radio and the vais ipod connection... I thought you could only install one or the other but not both at the same time. did you have to do anything special to make this work?
I have the vais ipod adapter and sat radio in our GS. No conflicts or issues. On our RX we have sat radio but have just been using the cassette adapter that was mentioned above. For some reason we use the ipod less frequently in the RX so I haven't gotten around to installling the plug and play adapter yet.

I believe that he Lexus ipod adapter is not compatible with Sat radio. I'm not aware of any one or the other limitations with Vais. You could call or email their tech line and ask. I found them to be helpful even before I bought which was one of the reasons I ended using their product for our GS
Old 09-09-09, 01:09 PM
paulsmits1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your good advice.

I am using a cassette device and have run the wire down behind the front seat heater switch panel above the gear shift. I have then connected a 'Kensington LiquidUX' for iphone and ipod (does not operate on latest version of ipod). I ran the cable from the Kensington unit into the glove compartment where I have attached a Nano iPod. Kensington provides a remote that attaches to the steering wheel to operate the ipod. The ipon switches off automatically when the ignition is turned off. Unit sells for about $40 on Amazon.