RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What does everyone use to clean & protect their leather interior?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 09:44 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I like the smell of Zymol, too. Be it the wash-wax, wax and the interior cleaning products such as the leather cleaner, conditioner.
Old 08-28-09, 04:33 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put me down as a Lexol user. My preferred method to leather treatment is:
1. vacuum including "scrunching" the seats down to open up the seams and creases.

2. use lexol cleaner to deep clean the leather, then dry.

3. rub in the Lexol conditioner using only my hands. Kind of like giving your seats a massage with your hands. I rub the stuff if deep and use a fairly large amount. Let it sit for 30+ minutes, wipe off the excess then buff.

Fwiw, when I sold my 16 year old Acura with leather seats, it had lines or character, in the seats but not one cut, rip or tear in the leather. No fading or abrasions.

I don't understand the products that are combined cleaner/conditioner. How does that work? Separate products for separate tasks.
Old 08-28-09, 07:32 AM
Pepsigirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How often do you clean and condition all the leather? I've been using diluted Woolite and water just to spot clean. Is that okay since I've heard some dispute whether Woolite is good for the leather or not and should I followup with conditioner even when I'm just working on spots.

Also, we are near fires today and it makes me sick to see all the ashes falling on my car. Is this going to do any long-term damage to the paint or will it just wash off during it's next bath.

I've never been this obsessed about a car!
Old 08-28-09, 08:17 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Pepsigirl
How often do you clean and condition all the leather? I've been using diluted Woolite and water just to spot clean. Is that okay since I've heard some dispute whether Woolite is good for the leather or not and should I followup with conditioner even when I'm just working on spots.

Also, we are near fires today and it makes me sick to see all the ashes falling on my car. Is this going to do any long-term damage to the paint or will it just wash off during it's next bath.

I've never been this obsessed about a car!
GHow often depends on how dirty it gets. I typically clean the leather with Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer after every wash (weekly). I clean and protect every 4 months on my RX with Leather Masters Strong Cleaner and LM Protection Cream. These intervals work for me but yours may be quite different.

I've used Woolite dilluted 10:1 on leather for many years and like most gentle detergents, it won't damage your leather but it is important to remove all traces of it after using it. I wipe down with a wrung out mf towel paying special attention to the creases and seams. I buff the leather dry with another dry mf and then apply the protection.

The ashes might cause damage to your paint in two ways. First, if something brushes against the ash covered paint it could scratch the paint. Second, the ash is likely quite acidic. When it gets wet it could cause etching. I'd try to rinse the car off regularly while the fires are raging. Even a touchfree wash would be better than letting the ashes remain on the car for a time, IMO.
Old 08-28-09, 10:18 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Meguire's cleaner/conditioner. I do it every weekend.
Old 08-28-09, 10:33 AM
mandyfig

Now I envy you...much more of guilty...I should be doing it too as often...really makes the difference on preserving the leather....I must do it this weekend!
Old 08-28-09, 10:36 AM
mandyfig

I have not tried woolite 10:1 dilution...but will. I have to spend more time on the leather. I have started to see the "lines of character (I like that)".
Old 08-28-09, 10:45 AM
968racer
Driver

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Put me down as a Lexol user. My preferred method to leather treatment is:
1. vacuum including "scrunching" the seats down to open up the seams and creases.

2. use lexol cleaner to deep clean the leather, then dry.

3. rub in the Lexol conditioner using only my hands. Kind of like giving your seats a massage with your hands. I rub the stuff if deep and use a fairly large amount. Let it sit for 30+ minutes, wipe off the excess then buff.

Fwiw, when I sold my 16 year old Acura with leather seats, it had lines or character, in the seats but not one cut, rip or tear in the leather. No fading or abrasions.

I don't understand the products that are combined cleaner/conditioner. How does that work? Separate products for separate tasks.

I'm with you. I also park in the sun with windows up to get the seats hot. It seems to suck up more of the conditioner. I massage in one coat, then go back around where I began with another coat, then buff. I am also careful not to let the conditioner sit on the stitching.

The leather on these cars is hard to beat. A car magazine I read said that they must give the cows daily massages with Oil of Olay. I only wish my BMW leather was close to being this soft.
Old 08-28-09, 03:25 PM
badams1897
Rookie

Originally Posted by tommewin
Diluted Wool-lite to clean/soften (about 8:1)

I use this and than a lexol leather conditioner NOT the cleaner ever.. cleaner is harsh, conditioner (brown bottle) very gentle and works great.
Old 08-31-09, 06:09 AM
Pepsigirl
Driver School Candidate

Keep getting a huge amount of ash on my car so I go out a few times a day with a leaf blower and blow it off. I can't wait until the fires are over to clean it! I don't want to do it before the fires are over because I hear that ashes won't hurt the paint unless they get wet.
Old 09-25-09, 09:32 PM
p.sabala
Driver School Candidate

You guys have to check out this product DWG it has a full line of not only awesome leather cleaner that does NOT remove the dye but also has a drywash product that will make your car keep that sleek new look, DWG also has a stain remover that works soo good that I could not believe it was taking the stains out of the carpet. I bought from a guy out of Kennesaw,Ga he can send it to you anywhere. Ron Perez you can call him at 678-594-6645. You will not be dissapointed in the DWG products.
Old 10-26-09, 09:35 PM
BokCh0y
Driver School Candidate

i use Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner/protectant.
Old 10-27-09, 06:28 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bagsbie
303 aerospace protectant
Does that work well on the leather?
Old 10-27-09, 09:23 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by benzo555
I use Meguire's cleaner/conditioner. I do it every weekend.
I use this as well...it works well...nice sheen afterwards too.
Old 10-29-09, 08:08 AM
xis
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexol Conditioner is the one for me after trying several brands

Quick Reply: What does everyone use to clean & protect their leather interior?