RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX Transmission Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-09, 09:53 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX Transmission Fluid Leak

I have a 2005 RX330 Thundercloud that is starting to experience a transmission leak. I have about 52,700 miles on it. I've had it into a local Toyota dealer twice in the last 3 weeks (leak is about 4/5 weeks). The first time they could find no evidence of a leak. Levels checked normal as well. The second time in the other day they found the source of the leak. It is in a weep hole located on the transmission case near where it joins the transfer case. The service rep and the two different machanics both said they have no clue how to repair this. They have never seen anything similar on Toyotas. Again they attached sensors and ran it up to the proper operating temps and checked the fluid. Everything is fine with the level showing close to max full but not over. Their suggestion is to take to Lexus. The nearest Lexus dealer is 300 miles away.

I'm looking for any information from someone who may have experienced a similar thing on their Lexus and what was done to correct it. The leak is at the rate of maybe a teaspoon every 2 or 3 days. I will be going to Boise, ID on vacation in about 9 days and thinking of contacting Lexus of Boise to get it checked out. Meanwhile, just want to see if anyone has experienced this problem on their RX and what was done to fix. My first thought is the fluid level is over filled and the weep hole is just getting rid of it. But I had the tranny flushed and filled 17K ago and the leak only appeared in the last 1K or so. The 50K service was done in Boise back on May 29th while I was out there and only showed up shortly after returning from there.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Grey/Black interior with black birdseye maple trim, NAV, ML, AFS with HID, Rain Sensing wipers, Headlight Washers, Tow Package with OEM hitch, 18 inch Thundercloud rims with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's.
1998 GS300 Previous and first Lexus.
Old 08-04-09, 11:53 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should ask to see if it will hurt if you plug the hole, there are probably multiple weep holes, so plugging it shouldnthurt. a little rtv will solve it,

but if it under warranty i would stop dicking with the toyota dealer and haul on over to lexus and get them to start replacing parts, nothing a new trans. wont fix.
Old 08-06-09, 10:54 AM
RMB350
Driver

Originally Posted by kiwi
you should ask to see if it will hurt if you plug the hole, there are probably multiple weep holes, so plugging it shouldnthurt. a little rtv will solve it,

but if it under warranty i would stop dicking with the toyota dealer and haul on over to lexus and get them to start replacing parts, nothing a new trans. wont fix.
Well put.. I would do the same.
Old 08-06-09, 12:41 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

This should be covered in the powertrain warranty, take it to a Lexus dealer. Am I missing something? Why is a Toyota dealer involved?
Old 08-06-09, 03:00 PM
968racer
Driver

The Lexus dealer is 300 miles away.
Old 08-06-09, 05:25 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Weep holes don't normally leak, something is wrong. Call the dealer to get it on record and get it in as soon as possible.
Jeff
Old 08-07-09, 03:38 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 968racer
The Lexus dealer is 300 miles away.
If still under warranty take it to the dealer, they'll give you a loaner and a new trans
Old 08-07-09, 08:02 AM
mandyfig

It will be worth the trip for a new transmission. Is the Toyota dealer honoring the warranty?
Old 08-07-09, 08:59 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's been my experience that Toyota will only do routine maintenance. All warranty work must be done at Lexus. This should be covered under the extended powertrain warranty.
Old 08-07-09, 03:52 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
It's been my experience that Toyota will only do routine maintenance. All warranty work must be done at Lexus. This should be covered under the extended powertrain warranty.
when i worked at Acura, there policy included full warranty work done at a honda shop depending on how far away you are, 300 miles does seem like a long way.

but this does raise the question why buy a lexus if the dealer is too far away and you complain about going there??
Old 08-10-09, 03:25 PM
robbiemcve
Driver School Candidate

this sounds like the transfer box weeping - i have a similar problem.
The fluid will probably be from the transfer assy rather than the transmission, this is a fairly common fault that requires new seals in the transfer assy.
The engine does not need to be removed for this but it is about 15 hours work.

There is a service bulitin for this somewhere but i cant find it at the moment...
good luck - mine is still weeping
Old 08-12-09, 08:23 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

I don't complain about going 300 miles to a Lexus dealer. It's just that I do normal maintainence at the local Toyota dealer instead of driving 300 miles for an oil change. Cost at local Toyota dealer $45. for oil change and tire rotation. Cost at Lexus of Wayzata is around $80., plus another $80 or so for gas and a couple hundred more for meals and lodging.

Actually I have gone to Lexus of Wayzata three or 4 times with this RX because I do like to make it down to the Twin Cities once or twice a year for baseball or football games and some shopping. At the same time I have had the RX in three times to Peterson Lexus in Boise, ID as I have some things done there while visiting my daughters there.

I bought a Lexus because it's a Lexus. Excellent quality, quiet and comfortable ride and it holds it's value. This is my second Lexus, first one was a CPO 1998 GS300. Got the RX in 2005 when we needed something with more space for traveling.

Now as to the leak. I have talked to the a service rep. in both Wayzata and Boise. Neither one has ever heard of a tranny leak in an RX unless a very high mileage one and not in the weep hole ever. They don't think it's a seal as it is coming out of the weep hole. The techs both stated they didn't think it was from the transfer case either as the fluid is black in transfer case whereas the tranny is red. The leak is a very definate red so we know it is transmission fluid. It's very red with no discoloration. The leak is about a teaspoon a week to 10 days. One thought is that the tranny is overfilled but techs said they would wait to actually see it. I do have an appointment in Boise next week as will be there on vacation. I had the tranny flushed and filled at 35k and there was no leak until about a year later when I had 50K on it. In fact the leak showed up about 200 miles after I was in Lexus (Boise) for the 50K service (done at 49,650).

Guess I will find out in about 5 days.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black interior with Black Birdseye Maple trim, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain sensing wipers, headlight washers, Tow Package with OEM hitch, 18 in. Thundercloud rims with Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas.
1998 GS300 First Lexus
Old 08-12-09, 02:40 PM
mandyfig

Well good luck and hope you get this debugged. We are all interested in this phenomenon.

You know that the radiator fluid is also red, just thinking.
Old 08-17-09, 06:44 PM
DakotaRX
Driver

The RX went into Peterson Lexus this morning. Within about 1/2 hour they came out to say that it is the transfer case leaking and not a weep hole in the AT. This is the TSB that robbiemcve mentioned. It is a 12 hour job according to Peterson Lexus and is covered by the 70K powertrain warrenty. So it is staying over night and will be done around 3 or 4 p.m. tomorrow.

Do have reservations in West Yellowstone, MT for tomorrow night. It is around a 6 hour drive from Boise so hoping they can have it out of the shop by 3 tomorrow. Staying at one of the smaller older style motels in West Yellowstone (Evergreen Motel) which is a family owned so they don't have all night or even late evening desk service. I can call and let them know that it will be a late arrival and they will work with me on that. Their cancellation policy is 72 hours for 80% reimbursement. One week for 100%. This is really fairly common for West Yellowstone motels due to demand for rooms there. Most hotels are booked three or fours weeks in advance at the least. Meanwhile have a black 2009 RX350 loaner. Looked at several new 2010 RX's on their lot. Really liked the red mica that was loaded with pretty much the same as my Thundercloud with NAV, ML and tow package. Half temped to deal but will stay with the Thundercloud another year or so.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Gray/Black interior with black birdseye maple trim, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, rain sensing wipers, headlight washers, tow package with OEM hitch, Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza's on 18 inch Thundercloud rims.
1998 GS300 First and previous Lexus.
Old 08-18-09, 05:41 AM
mandyfig

Great news! See? Lexus will step up and own the issue, just give them the chance.

Quick Reply: RX Transmission Fluid Leak