RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx350 or Rx400h ? which one to get confused!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 11:52 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts
Question Rx350 or Rx400h ? which one to get confused!!

hello everyone

i m trying to get a used RX400h or Rx350. Not sure which one to get. I know the gas mileage is not that much different. i am looking to spend around 25K +/-.

i would like to get either or but being a used car around 35-50k mileage couple of yrs old i am kinda scared getting the hybrid, but i started my search for a hybrid then i am reading these stories about hybrids not starting and problems. then i am leaning towards the rx350.

the car would be used as everyday driving mainly city. but alot of driving maybe 20k miles a year. what would you guys recommend.?
Old 06-30-09, 12:28 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
hello everyone

i m trying to get a used RX400h or Rx350. Not sure which one to get. I know the gas mileage is not that much different. i am looking to spend around 25K +/-.

i would like to get either or but being a used car around 35-50k mileage couple of yrs old i am kinda scared getting the hybrid, but i started my search for a hybrid then i am reading these stories about hybrids not starting and problems. then i am leaning towards the rx350.

the car would be used as everyday driving mainly city. but alot of driving maybe 20k miles a year. what would you guys recommend.?
I have the new RX450h and have no worries. You shouldn't either. The batteries are warranted for nearly 100,000 miles. It has a great reputation. With mostly city mileage, you'll realize the biggest benefit from it. High 20's vs high teens.

Your biggest problem is finding one available and in good shape. They were only a small part of the RX production./FONT]
Old 06-30-09, 02:00 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I have the new RX450h and have no worries. You shouldn't either. The batteries are warranted for nearly 100,000 miles. It has a great reputation. With mostly city mileage, you'll realize the biggest benefit from it. High 20's vs high teens.

Your biggest problem is finding one available and in good shape. They were only a small part of the RX production./FONT]
You're right about the availabilty, seldom do I see any on Ebay and when I do the buy it now prices are outrageous! I believe that the RX350 will be a better value unless gas goes above $3.50 and stays there, as the 350 will be much cheaper to purchase and it may take five years to save the difference in gas consumption, just something to think about. Good Luck
Old 06-30-09, 03:58 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by tromly
You're right about the availabilty, seldom do I see any on Ebay and when I do the buy it now prices are outrageous! I believe that the RX350 will be a better value unless gas goes above $3.50 and stays there, as the 350 will be much cheaper to purchase and it may take five years to save the difference in gas consumption, just something to think about. Good Luck
Cap & Trade = Cap & Tax !!! You could at least feel good while your driving. Hang onto it long enough and the gas prices will make you wish you had moved earlier. And then the same (h) a year later might be even more. The car gets enough better mileage that if you keep it, it will not only pay off but make you feel good. My 450h is a real novelty every where I stop and I'm outside it for a while, I get buttonholed by folks with a dozen questions. That didn't happen with the old RX. Makes you feel like a proud Papa. Sometimes it's worth a little more just to be unique.

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-30-09 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-01-09, 07:40 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

the 450h is pretty new. They look nice, i saw couple of them i kept looking at them too. really nice car

i found 2 400h and a rx350 ,i will go check them out, i will post pics if anything happens
Cap & Trade = Cap & Tax !!! You could at least feel good while your driving. Hang onto it long enough and the gas prices will make you wish you had moved earlier. And then the same (h) a year later might be even more. The car gets enough better mileage that if you keep it, it will not only pay off but make you feel good. My 450h is a real novelty every where I stop and I'm outside it for a while, I get buttonholed by folks with a dozen questions. That didn't happen with the old RX. Makes you feel like a proud Papa. Sometimes it's worth a little more just to be unique.
Old 07-01-09, 08:04 AM
hesham1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally would still go with the RX350 because it will probably be a bit cheaper for the same year/mileage, and because the hybrid doesnt really give you that much more of an edge. i do like the RX400 rims though, i think they look very classy
Old 07-01-09, 09:19 AM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by hesham1
i personally would still go with the RX350 because it will probably be a bit cheaper for the same year/mileage, and because the hybrid doesnt really give you that much more of an edge. i do like the RX400 rims though, i think they look very classy
It does come down to preference. And it is a little more. Given all of that, you do get better mileage, a little more horsepower, and when you resell it, you separate yourself from the rest of the pack and can ask more too. They are in demand. But again, personal preference rules.
Old 07-01-09, 01:02 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

It does come down to preference. And it is a little more. Given all of that, you do get better mileage, a little more horsepower, and when you resell it, you separate yourself from the rest of the pack and can ask more too. They are in demand. But again, personal preference rules.
Jim has a good point. Hybrid is the IN thing nowadays. When it is time to re-sell, you have an advantage.

Go for the H!
Old 07-02-09, 08:30 AM
hesham1
Driver

the hybrid has more horsepower?
Old 07-02-09, 08:40 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

i guess it depends on how many miles the hybrid have dont the batteries expire at some point? , The non- hybrid car you can work on your selves/ brakes. engine oil. etc. I would scared to touch a hybrid.

I found a nice rx350, going to take a look at today. i haven't driven a hybrid yet so i will drive one also . i heard the 400h is more quieter, not just becasue its a hybrid they used more insulation inside and the glass is thicker?? not sure how true is that
Originally Posted by mandyfig
Jim has a good point. Hybrid is the IN thing nowadays. When it is time to re-sell, you have an advantage.

Go for the H!
Old 07-02-09, 09:34 AM
Sunapollo
Rookie

Originally Posted by UZ214
they used more insulation inside and the glass is thicker?? not sure how true is that
That's not correct ...

Get the 400h ... it's greener, more power, and it'll make you happier
Old 07-02-09, 11:45 AM
bagsbie
Driver

I heard that once the battery is due to be replaced it costs over $7k? if this is true then buying a used RX400h will eventually still cost you more than RX350 even if the gas prices edge up and stay up... Interestingly, about 8 months ago, the used car market was decent when I was shopping for an RX for my wife. In fact, I had a choice of an RX330 and RX400h, same equipment, nearly same mileage and they were priced the same! I went for an RX330. Did I make a mistake? I am not sure but like someone had already mentioned, I am not scared of doing the maintenance on it myself. With the hybrid I won't feel so confident.
Old 07-07-09, 08:06 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

i am not having any luck so far, i like couple of Rx they were already sold. Now the ones i like are in 34k range, and dealers aren't bulging on the price
Old 07-07-09, 03:43 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would really get a hybrid version....there should be plenty of used hybrid RXs on the market
Old 07-07-09, 09:19 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

for city driving, hybrid is the way to go ...

Quick Reply: Rx350 or Rx400h ? which one to get confused!!