RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New RX Model?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-02, 11:03 PM
Lvangundy

HEY I like that second prototype, it has a the new ES flair...maybe all the other models will go that style too...sleek with body indents.
Old 04-07-02, 12:32 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I believe your source is right-on!!

Originally posted by Knicksfan
(3) there would likely be a 2003 "release" of exisiting version for six months or so before new model is introduced in Spring 2003 as a 2004 model.

Not sure how accurate this is but he was spot-on with his advance info on the SC.

So now my question is: which one will I get - the lease on my RX runs out in Jan 03!
Knicksfan,
I think your dealer is right on the money when he says the RX will debut Spring 2003 as a 2004 model (I would venture so far as to say that it would probably be in dealerships around March/April 2003) - Here's the logic behind this: I have read in several Toyota press releases that Lexus was going to start building the RX 300 in North America beginning early 2003 when the new Lexus plant opens, which many sources have speculated would also be the INTRODUCTION of a new model.......It does not make any sense for them to re-tool an existing factory in Japan to just make a totally new model for a few months.......So I'm literally and physically sure that the redesigned RX is going to coincide exactly with the opening of the new Lexus plant in Jan or Feb, and considering that it takes a time-span of 2 months or so to get from a local factory assembly line to the dealership lot, it all makes perfect sense.

As far as a choice between the GX 470 and the new redesigned RX 300, I'm in the exact same dilemma as you. I guess it will depend on the final specs of the RX.......here's some info I've heard from sources I consider relatively reliable.......they say the RX will get a new 3.3L straight-6 with around 240-250bhp, exterior dimensions will not change much - YES!! (maybe a couple of inches bigger for more room, if that) and I've been told that there is a good chance there will be more of a difference between the 4-wheel drive and 2-wheel versions just like Toyota did with the new RAV4 and Highlander (4WDs will have a slightly higher ground clearance and skid plates, whereas 2WDs will be a little lower and more on-road oriented).....and, of course, it's a given that it'll probably be more aerodynamic, have a substantially quieter and smoother ride (like the new ES did) and it'll get goodies like that fantastic Mark Levinson Audio system and it's also a given that a 5-speed transmission will be standard

........additionally I strongly believe that 2nd picture is, indeed, a spy shot of the new RX as there are too many "clues" that suggest this (see the new "RAV4-like" rear section and also the "ES-like" grille (albeit wearing a disguise) and "ES-like" headlamp treatment (which looks like it's becoming a Lexus trend)

HERE ARE SOME OF THE PROS AND CONS I CONSIDERED WHEN LOOKING AT BOTH OF THESE (GX vs. RX):

Both will probably have about the same level of luxury appointments (GX probably very marginally more) - so, really, no difference there

Advantages of RX:
RX will get substantially better gas mileage from the 6-cylinder as compared to the GX's 4.7L V8 (something to consider very seriously as gas prices are going up by the minute, and also as both these vehicles are likely to use PREMIUM FUEL)

From a pure performance perspective, the more car-like RX's acceleration, speed and handling will probably be better than the GX's 235bhp V8 (provided the 3.3L 6-cyl becomes a reality - otherwise I would say it's a wash)

Advantages of the GX:
GX is going to be much more rugged and have much better traction/off-pavement capabilities (low-range, center locking diff, downhill assist etc.)

GX will have much more interior room and 8-passenger capability (not that this matters to me) - but for someone who needs the space this is a definite advantage

GX will be built in Japan and the RX in North America, giving the GX a definite edge in quality, especially considering that it's not only a first year model, but a totally new factory as well!!

.......anyways it's going to be very exciting to see how these two compare when the RX specs are actually out (I doubt we'll know anything definitive till right before it arrives)

Last edited by vicpai; 04-07-02 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-08-02, 02:13 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Thanks Vic

Vic

That was a great update - thanks. I suppose we will have to wait until we see what really emerges - meanwhile I have secured my position on both so I am keeping my options open.

Assuming what you said is accurate - I think I'd lean to the RX (no need for more seating, live in NYC so off-road is not happening etc.) but the big clinker in that plan is having to wait until April (or later if anything slips in the planning process.

Are you worried about buying a car from a new model/new factory so early in the prpoduction cycle? The fact that it is Lexus helps but I am a little nervous about being the first one off the line.
Old 04-08-02, 10:05 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

nice info Vic... sounds like the rx300 is going to be even better, cant wait to see it... hrm... i wonder would we be able to upgrade to mark levinsons and one thing that you did not mention was HOPEFULLY they fix the turning radius. If they do, woudl they be able to fix it in the older rx300 year models?
Old 04-11-02, 12:19 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default Re: Thanks Vic

Originally posted by Knicksfan
Are you worried about buying a car from a new model/new factory so early in the prpoduction cycle? The fact that it is Lexus helps but I am a little nervous about being the first one off the line.
Knicksfan,
if I were to go the RX 300 route, I would most certainly wait at least for a year (2nd model year) - my 4Runner is fully paid off and only has 21,000 miles on it and so I'm certainly not in any hurry - .......I made a big mistake with my "commuter car" purchase - the new redesigned 2003 Toyota Corolla (it has numerous problems already - and one major one related to the steering system!!! as well as one safety recall relating to the rear axle assembly.

However, I don't think the "Japanese built units have better quality" argument is valid anymore IT USED TO BE, BUT NOT ANYMORE. I think quality has gone down at Toyota universally (example: the Toyota RAV4 which is built in Japan has had several quality issues in it's first year, and some of them MAJOR - Transmission, stalling problems etc.).......if you have the luxury to wait I would get the RX, but otherwise the GX might be a better candidate, considering that it's at least not a brand new factory as well as a lot of stuff is carried over from the LX 470
Old 04-11-02, 12:31 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Originally posted by spinteews
nice info Vic... sounds like the rx300 is going to be even better, cant wait to see it... hrm... i wonder would we be able to upgrade to mark levinsons and one thing that you did not mention was HOPEFULLY they fix the turning radius. If they do, woudl they be able to fix it in the older rx300 year models?
spinteews,
the TURNING CIRCLE is, in fact, THE ONLY reason I did not buy the current RX...otherwise it's simply AN AWESOME MACHINE .......and yes, I am willing to bet my entire bank account that Lexus will fix the turning circle - It is an ACKNOWLEDGED DESIGN FLAW ....and no, unfortunately they will not be able to fix it on older models because it's part of the inherent structural design of the vehicle......that's why they could do nothing about it when they "freshened" the RX for 2001.......However, another indication that they'll definitely fix it in the redesign is the fact that they've already fixed it in the RX's clone the newly introduced Toyota Highlander.....that vehicle is longer and wider than the RX, yet has a wonderfully tight 37.4ft diameter!!!
Old 04-12-02, 07:18 PM
rxcoach
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered a coach edition RX ( all options except NAV ), should have it in 2-3 weeks. I think the next RX will look similar to the "spy" photo above, I don't know if the photo is the real deal.

My dealer told me that the next RX will be available in March or April as a 04 model. It will have a larger engine ( 3.3 V6 ) with a little more HP. He also said that the ML sound system will be available as an option.
Old 04-13-02, 06:40 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From Autonews.com:
RX 300
A redesign of the popular sport wagon is scheduled for the 2004 model year, when assembly will move from Japan to Canada.

It will gain as much as 6 inches of wheelbase and 3 inches of width to match the Acura MDX. The RX 300 will seat seven and be powered by a 3.5-liter V-6, up from 3.0 liters.
Old 04-16-02, 12:22 PM
RLand
Driver School Candidate

It's going to be called the RX330 - a little longer than current version.
Old 04-16-02, 01:26 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From Consumer Guide:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...m/id/20870.htm

Lexus will defend its crossover turf with a redesigned RX for 2004. This will be a platform cousin of the Toyota Highlander, and thus distantly related to the just-redesigned Toyota Camry/Lexus ES 300 sedans. However, the SUV is rumored to use a larger new 3.5-liter V6, so badges should read RX 350. The vehicle itself will be larger than RX 300 and even Highlander. Wheelbase reportedly lengthens by up to 6 inches over the current RX to around 109, which would be about 2 inches up on the Toyota and is enough to make room for standard three-row 7-passenger seating. Width allegedly swells 3 inches, again to match MDX. In another change, RX 350 will be built in Canada instead of Japan like RX 300.
Old 04-17-02, 01:20 AM
rdaught
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Spy pics?

Spy pics ?
Attached Thumbnails New RX Model?-new01.jpg  
Old 04-17-02, 01:21 AM
rdaught
Driver School Candidate

Default Spy pics?

spy pics
Attached Thumbnails New RX Model?-new02.jpg  
Old 04-17-02, 01:21 AM
rdaught
Driver School Candidate

Default Spy pics?

spy pics?
Attached Thumbnails New RX Model?-new03.jpg  
Old 04-17-02, 04:01 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I don't think the redesigned RX will look like that one in the pictures (I hope is more like it) I can tell from the A-pillar back that it is still mainly the currently generation RX.
Old 04-17-02, 07:58 PM
Shoofin'TL
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: I believe your source is right-on!!

Originally posted by vicpai

Knicksfan,
I think your dealer is right on the money when he says the RX will debut Spring 2003 as a 2004 model (I would venture so far as to say that it would probably be in dealerships around March/April 2003) - Here's the logic behind this: I have read in several Toyota press releases that Lexus was going to start building the RX 300 in North America beginning early 2003 when the new Lexus plant opens, which many sources have speculated would also be the INTRODUCTION of a new model.......It does not make any sense for them to re-tool an existing factory in Japan to just make a totally new model for a few months.......So I'm literally and physically sure that the redesigned RX is going to coincide exactly with the opening of the new Lexus plant in Jan or Feb, and considering that it takes a time-span of 2 months or so to get from a local factory assembly line to the dealership lot, it all makes perfect sense.

As far as a choice between the GX 470 and the new redesigned RX 300, I'm in the exact same dilemma as you. I guess it will depend on the final specs of the RX.......here's some info I've heard from sources I consider relatively reliable.......they say the RX will get a new 3.3L straight-6 with around 240-250bhp, exterior dimensions will not change much - YES!! (maybe a couple of inches bigger for more room, if that) and I've been told that there is a good chance there will be more of a difference between the 4-wheel drive and 2-wheel versions just like Toyota did with the new RAV4 and Highlander (4WDs will have a slightly higher ground clearance and skid plates, whereas 2WDs will be a little lower and more on-road oriented).....and, of course, it's a given that it'll probably be more aerodynamic, have a substantially quieter and smoother ride (like the new ES did) and it'll get goodies like that fantastic Mark Levinson Audio system and it's also a given that a 5-speed transmission will be standard

You're somewhat right. However, I am pretty sure that the next generation RX300 will have a V6, not In-line 6. It will be called the RX330. The next generation GS will no longer have the In-line 6, and probably will get the same engine as the GS(also will be badged GS330), but with more juice, however the two powerplants will seem completely different in the sense that one's been tuned for an SUV, the other is tuned for a car. I'm not sure whats going to be with the IS300 engine, either..
Ed

Last edited by Shoofin'TL; 04-17-02 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: New RX Model?