RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2007 RX350 - DIY Transmission Fluid and Filter Replacement - EASY!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-16, 02:39 PM
thomasfx10
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2007 RX350 - DIY Transmission Fluid and Filter Replacement - EASY!!

I just replaced my transmission fluid and filter on my 2007 RX350 with 130K ... I do not think it was ever replaced and really needed it. It was much easier than I thought and from what I read ... This is much better than trying to do a drain and refill which you CANNOT change the tranny filter or clean the pan and magnets ... I included two videos that I found on Youtube ... The first one on a RX350 and the second on a Highlander ... They are same for replacement ... Don't let video 1 scare you ... If you can change your oil on your Lexus you can do this !!! ... Total time around 2 hours and I took my time cleaning the pan and magnets ...

I found some minor shavings on the magnets but nothing to be concerned about ... It shifts smoother now with the synthetic oil in the tranny ... I am good for another 100K .. I hope

Check the videos - It will show you everything you need. I have added the below:

10 mm box wrench ... (Get a ratchet type) .... You do NOT need a bent one like the video 1 shows ... Box wrench for sure!
Gallon of Type T-IV tranny fluid type - I used MAXLIFE Synthetic (MaxLife™ DEX/MERC ATF) Walmart $17
Tranny Filter ... Autozone $16
Lock Tight - Blue $6
You DO NOT need to have the vehicle level ... I used the OEM scissor jack and two jack stands ...

Video 1

Video 2

Pic of my Old and New Tranny Fluid ...
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX350 - DIY  Transmission Fluid and Filter Replacement - EASY!!-tranny_oil.jpg  
Old 08-20-16, 06:44 PM
tbm5690
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the transmission behind the 350 needs Toyota WS fluid and not the T-IV like the 330.
Old 08-20-16, 06:47 PM
thomasfx10
Driver School Candidate

The OEM appears to be Toyota WS ATF for 2007 and later ... Thanks tbm5690 ... the MAXLIFE Synthetic covers that too.

Last edited by thomasfx10; 08-21-16 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-21-16, 07:02 PM
mic575
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thomasfx10 - can you give me some pointers on getting to the 4 bolts on the drivers side above the cross member. Those 4 seem really difficult to me and I am afraid of rounding the heads. What tool did you use and did you use the same tool on all of them? Did you use the open end of the wrench or the closed end?

I was just looking at these today and decided I could not do it myself but then I saw your post.
Old 08-21-16, 08:15 PM
thomasfx10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mic575
thomasfx10 - can you give me some pointers on getting to the 4 bolts on the drivers side above the cross member. Those 4 seem really difficult to me and I am afraid of rounding the heads. What tool did you use and did you use the same tool on all of them? Did you use the open end of the wrench or the closed end?

I was just looking at these today and decided I could not do it myself but then I saw your post.
Those 4 bolts can be a pain ... I HIGHLY suggest you use a closed end 10mm rachet wrench (See pic) ... I placed my finger on the top of it so it would not slip off and strip the head ... Once you break it free it is easy to get off ...
Attached Thumbnails 2007 RX350 - DIY  Transmission Fluid and Filter Replacement - EASY!!-s-l1000.jpg  
Old 08-22-16, 10:45 AM
mic575
Driver School Candidate

Good information, it helps to know how at least one person got to those bolts. The highlander video above has the 3.3L engine and I think that engine/transmission has a little more room to work.
Old 09-01-16, 01:14 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

glad someone stepped up and used Maxlife....I've been waiting for someone to do it.

Let us know if you notice differences down the road.
Old 03-24-18, 08:25 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did mine 08 and I would admit that using the offset spanner wrench would be much easier for breaking those bolts hidden. Actually getting those bolts on are much harder then getting them off. You need patient and move slowly. BY the way, my 08 has 100K miles on it and the fluid is not bad but shows dark pink. I got about 5qt out. I am not sure whether it was too much or not. But when I measure the level when car is cold, the level is even higher than the warm mark. But it has been that way for 10 years.
Old 03-26-18, 09:41 AM
Daleda
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. I did a drain and refill on my wife’s 07 RX350 with Honda ATF about a month ago. Will repeat after 1000 miles. My fluid looked like yours as in jet black. You are brave to drop the pan and glad everything worked out. Since her car has never been driven hard and has the towing package from factory ie; a little more protection of trans, i just decided to leave the system sealed. I may decide at some future date to replace filter (132,000 miles currently) and i maintain her care so no big ticked items from dealer.
Old 05-02-18, 03:21 AM
ne0tekk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a drain and fill a few hundred miles ago and just did another drain and fill but with the filter replacement. Should've searched harder for this thread as it took me awhile to figure out the closed end of the box wrench would work best. Mangled up one of the 4 hidden bolts using the open end. Wasn't too bad, ended up using it in another location since it's not stripped.

Make sure you guys clean the fine metal particles off the pan and the 2 internal magnets. Wouldn't want that flowing back through your engine.

Also used Maxlife but for some reason, the first time, I poured exactly the same amount that came out and it was overfilled. This time I added 5 quarts and that seems to be just right.

Also, be sure you guys always replace the crush washer around the drain plug. Mine was leaking after the first drain and refill cause I reused it. It's only $2 at Toyota, didn't check Lexus. I believe the Toyota part number for the drain plug crush washer / gasket is 90430-18008. Transmission feels great, hopefully these drain and refills will prevent transmission issues indefinitely.
Old 05-02-18, 09:35 AM
checkler
Rookie

thomasfx10 - Do you have a part number for the filter that you bought at Autozone? My local shop can't seem to find one that will fit. TY!
Old 05-18-18, 09:50 PM
tran1
Driver School Candidate

I did my 09 RX350 last week. It took 5.5 qts.
Some of the bolts were really pain to get them on.
Old 07-30-18, 10:28 AM
BklynJay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys! Looking to do this. If I did drain and fill. What would be the process and tool(s) I would need. Also, when refilling, do you match exactly what came out or maybe put a quart less and check dipstick first then add if needed.

If you do drop the pan, cleaning it with regular paper towel works or go through a few microfiber towels. Just purchased a 2008 RX 350 AWD with 102k. Not sure if they past owner ever did any transmission so want to play it safe. Preventative then reactive maintenance. Also, how about the differential?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-18, 07:34 AM
lexus997
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So it has been about 2 years since the original post ........... any issues with using the MAXLIFE ATF?
Old 11-28-18, 10:47 AM
meccan0ble
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious to know as well. I use that in my Tahoe and Lexus power steering.

Quick Reply: 2007 RX350 - DIY Transmission Fluid and Filter Replacement - EASY!!