RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Car won't start-Error Shift to P when start

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 10:50 AM
andysinger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't Start--Check VSC or move to Park

Looks like I get to join this problem clubhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:http://www.clublexus.com/get/forums/...milies/mad.gif
After several earlier situations like this, this morning proved fatal--after a dozen attempts no ready/no start--and then I saw this string and wished I would have read the forum after the first instance--tow is on the way.
Old 11-14-11, 11:23 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A majority of the time (with the hybrid) when you get have this problem (with the warning message about shifting to Park etc.), it's the 12 volt battery in the engine compartment that needs replacing, not the traction battery.
Old 11-21-11, 08:42 AM
chipmaster
Driver School Candidate

Default Another member to the won't start club

Okay bought a used low mile hybrid, has driven like a charm for a month. Sadly got into a small accident and had some front bumper work done, after we got it back about a couple days later car won't start

1) Put the key in and everythings powers up
2) Turn key to the start postion and get error saying put shft into "P" of course where it is.
3) Nothing

Is towing to the dealer the only thing? The battery seams good, HID lights and everything else turned on!
Old 11-21-11, 10:00 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Owner's manual will show you how to override the Park interlock safety switch.

There should be a slot neat the shifter.

What is actually wrong is another issue .. could be a loose linkage, bad switch etc

Salim
Old 10-12-14, 06:30 PM
skot
Driver School Candidate

Default I got same problem in last week

Hi,

I got the same issue Check VFS and an error/message Shift to P when Starting on Lex Rx400h

Temp Solution
I am able to start the car after few attempts. I changed the driving mode to R, N,D couple time in sequence. Removed the key couple of times and retried. It worked and car started.

Received the error error/message Shift to P when Starting again after 4 days.
Tried the same resolution and it worked.

Resolution
After two incidents; I did very careful inspection of main battery and found out that the battery is in good condition and still have 24 months warranty left. After opening + battery red cap; found the corrosion accumulated on it. I removed the connector and put a little water on both battery + and connector and removed corrosion totally from both using cloth. I don't have the issue now past 1 week.
It might be corrosion due which the battery might be getting full power while starting. I will update you again after couple or weeks.
Old 12-25-14, 11:02 AM
LexusLadi
Rookie

So I had a little bit of a scare with this no start issue this morning as well. I didn't have any messages pop up or anything. All the lights came on the radio the a/c fan and the headlights. But it wouldn't chime and go into READY mode.

The weird thing is i just had the 12v battery replaced less then a month ago. So I know that it couldn't be that.

I did notice the radio display started flashing at me. which was very strange.

After many attempts to get it turned on. I made sure the steering wheel wasn't locked.(happen to me once before). I moved the shift lever from park to drive and then back to park again. At which point I did get a shift to P message. (for obvious reasons)

The thing that got it to literally snap at out of its stewper was that the headlight being left in the ON position rather the AUTO which it usually sits in. After turning the headlights off completely something clicked and it started right up, go figure.

Should I be worried?

I have a 2008 RX 400h with 85K

I'll probably call my Lexus dealer tomorrow.
Old 12-25-14, 01:11 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

Default hybrid no starts,

im going to say 99 percent of the no starts on hybrids is due to the small motorcycle size battery in the trunk or under the rear seat failing. Its the first thing I check when I get one in my stall.
Old 12-26-14, 08:22 AM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Originally Posted by kornpeef
im going to say 99 percent of the no starts on hybrids is due to the small motorcycle size battery in the trunk or under the rear seat failing. Its the first thing I check when I get one in my stall.
This news to me, so your saying that theirs a 3rd battery on this car?

1. 12V
2. The big expense traction battery (hybrid Batt)
& now
3. Some small motorcycle battery somewhere else near the traction battery?
Old 12-26-14, 08:25 AM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusLadi
So I had a little bit of a scare with this no start issue this morning as well. I didn't have any messages pop up or anything. All the lights came on the radio the a/c fan and the headlights. But it wouldn't chime and go into READY mode.

The weird thing is i just had the 12v battery replaced less then a month ago. So I know that it couldn't be that.

I did notice the radio display started flashing at me. which was very strange.

After many attempts to get it turned on. I made sure the steering wheel wasn't locked.(happen to me once before). I moved the shift lever from park to drive and then back to park again. At which point I did get a shift to P message. (for obvious reasons)

The thing that got it to literally snap at out of its stewper was that the headlight being left in the ON position rather the AUTO which it usually sits in. After turning the headlights off completely something clicked and it started right up, go figure.

Should I be worried?

I have a 2008 RX 400h with 85K

I'll probably call my Lexus dealer tomorrow.

BTW, I moved this thread to a more appropriate area:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...s-morning.html
Old 12-26-14, 01:03 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

There is not a third battery. The 12v battery on hybrids is very small compared to a normal car. The amount of electronics should actually call for a larger battery but toyota/lexus hasn't gotten wise to that. On the RX it is under the hood. The other poster referred to it being in the trunk because that is where it is on a prius.

When you tried starting the car, the 12v battery was low and did not have the power to switch the car to ready mode. You stated that the stereo, heated seats, and headlights were on...these all take a lot of power and hindered the already low battery from starting the car. Once you turned off the headlights, the battery had just enough power to start the car.

I used to have this problem all the time with the 12v battery that I bought from Lexus. What you need to do is return the battery you just bought and buy an AGM battery...AGM batteries are designed to handle the growing amount of electronics in modern cars and deliver more consistent output even when the battery is low. I bought an Optima Yellow Top (which is an AGM battery) about a year ago and have not had a single problem starting my car.
Old 12-27-14, 10:27 AM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Originally Posted by jakenbake
There is not a third battery. The 12v battery on hybrids is very small compared to a normal car. The amount of electronics should actually call for a larger battery but toyota/lexus hasn't gotten wise to that. On the RX it is under the hood. The other poster referred to it being in the trunk because that is where it is on a prius.

When you tried starting the car, the 12v battery was low and did not have the power to switch the car to ready mode. You stated that the stereo, heated seats, and headlights were on...these all take a lot of power and hindered the already low battery from starting the car. Once you turned off the headlights, the battery had just enough power to start the car.

I used to have this problem all the time with the 12v battery that I bought from Lexus. What you need to do is return the battery you just bought and buy an AGM battery...AGM batteries are designed to handle the growing amount of electronics in modern cars and deliver more consistent output even when the battery is low. I bought an Optima Yellow Top (which is an AGM battery) about a year ago and have not had a single problem starting my car.
It turned out that I had a bad battery, it had a bad cell in it. The cold cranking amps were 253 and it was rated at 500. I got a yellow top battery and returned the green interstate battery and got a refund.

Thanks for the advice, jakenbake.

Last edited by LexusLadi; 12-28-14 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-28-15, 02:55 PM
Jarsa
Driver School Candidate

We recently got this rx 400 year 2006. 100k driven and all seemed good and the ride was just awesome! About week after it wouldnt start. Just sayin shift lever to p position and a vsc check light.
It started eventually and did that every time after that even with the warnings.

Good luck we have this thing called internet and some awesome people who share their acknowledge so i was confident it was a problem with the 12v battery. Idle speed was running high and the headlights were a little dim.
New battery cost me 72€ and it did the trick. You guys saved me from that expensive lexus service
Mileage also improved from 11l/100 km (21.4 mpg) to 9 (26mpg).

This car has made me watch the consumption level all the time and drive like a granny
Old 03-01-15, 05:04 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How are things in 'lawn lake'? Yes, I had to look it up. Welcome to CL, glad you found your answer!
Old 02-03-20, 09:07 AM
Eric81
Driver School Candidate

Having that problem right now with exactly the same vehicle